Forum CPU & Components : Sound Cards - Dolby digital 5.1 sound card

dsgilljatt

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
please some body tell me, pc soundcards are not involved in decoding dolby digital,
please tell me how it is done on software level, i use realtek audio drivers, my os is windows xp sp2. in realtek hd audio manager, in audioI/O, i do find option, 5.1 dolbydigital, but when i click on it, it doesnt seem to work or it is not applied. so please tell me how to make it work,
please either send me a private message or reply in the threaad, i needly to activate dolby digital in my PC i shall be grateful to you

Solution
Look no further,I HAVE UR ANSWER.

last week i posted a question in this forum.
i got a 5.1 harman kardon
with a yamaha 480 watt receiver.
creative x-fi elite pro sound card

NOW if you have realtek,i do NOT know much about realtek.
but when i hooked up my speakers,on my receiver it would just say "music"
after i tried after a optical cable,now it says "PCM" and dolby pro logic 2"
I ALSO had to buy a dolby digital pack from creative it cost me 5 dollars but it was very worth it.
now my sound is much better.

ONE question for you.do you have a optical cable/or a coxial cable for your sound card?
and maybe you should buy another sound card.so conclusion,see if realtek has a driver for dolby digital.if not,new sound card hahaha

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
some soundcard can do decoding, like asus xonar HDAV1.3

if u want to decode through software, ull need compatiable players that can do such; -such as cyberlink power DVD, most DVD softwares can also decode so there are few option there already for you.

dsgilljatt

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
@MEgamer and astrallite, please tell me how it is done through other dvd softwares, actually i want to listen to MP3 songs or WMA songs through dolby digital, how should i go for it. does wmp10 decode dolby digital audio, how can we decode dolby digital on cyberlink power dvd?

thefivetheory

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
If you want to output a DD 5.1 signal (which may only contain stereo content, such as with most music) you need a sound card/onboard audio device capable of ENCODING DD.

How are you trying to listen to your audio? USB device? Analog PC speakers? Receiver+speakers via HDMI/optical?

I'll make this quick:

Most soundcard do NOT have the ability to uncompress (Decode) a Dolby Digital audio signal. This is because most PC audio is not in Dolby formats.

The only situation where Dolby soundtracks need to be decoded on a PC is when watching DVD/Blu-Ray. In this case, the decoding is handled via the video players software. (Example: Windows Media Player has a built-in Dolby decoder).

Soundcards do have the ability to encode (compress) audio into Dolby Digital format, in case you want to output a dolby audio track to some other device.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005

If you were to convert the multichannel MP3 or WMA into multichannel FLAC I believe AC3Filter will work in conjunction with Media Player Classic.

MC MP3/WMA files are pretty rare...I am assuming you actually have such files.

dsgilljatt

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
@thefivetheory, i am using analog PC speakers what should i do, which sound card should i buy for my 915 chipset motherboaard to encode or decode dolby digital music? i want to select 5.1 dolby digital in audio input output of realtekHD audio manager
how should i go for it? what should i do? my OS is windows XPSP2, please suggest me something that nswers my query and solves my problem

thefivetheory

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
If you're using purely analog speakers, you won't be able to encode DD and feed it to them digitally. It's possible, as mentioned by others above, that you may be able to use media player software to do the decoding, but you'll need to stick with analog output.

Is there any reason you really want to be able to use DD? It's not "better" than uncompressed analog audio...

joejack11

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Look no further,I HAVE UR ANSWER.

last week i posted a question in this forum.
i got a 5.1 harman kardon
with a yamaha 480 watt receiver.
creative x-fi elite pro sound card

NOW if you have realtek,i do NOT know much about realtek.
but when i hooked up my speakers,on my receiver it would just say "music"
after i tried after a optical cable,now it says "PCM" and dolby pro logic 2"
I ALSO had to buy a dolby digital pack from creative it cost me 5 dollars but it was very worth it.
now my sound is much better.

ONE question for you.do you have a optical cable/or a coxial cable for your sound card?
and maybe you should buy another sound card.so conclusion,see if realtek has a driver for dolby digital.if not,new sound card hahaha

Solution

dsgilljatt

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
i have creative 5.1 speakers, and i can easily listen to surround music through them but i am not able to listen to dolby digital music through them because of my realtek sound card, it does not have 5.1 dolby digital option though it has 2.1 dolby digital option and dolby pcm option because of which only 2 speakers of my computer work
so which sound card should i purchase so that i get dolby5.1 sound from my speakers,
should i go for creative sound card? or what sound card? please suggest me