Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Why can't my OS detect my second hard disk drive?

Last response: in Storage
September 9, 2012 3:32:50 PM

I have 2 hard disk drives. And it has been working for a while and when i let my parents and their friends watch some movies on my PC they messed something up and now my OS can't detect my secondary hard drive. The BIOS sees it and recognizes it but my OS doesn't. I have Windows XP professional service pack 2. Does anyone know what could have happened here?

More about : detect hard disk drive

a c 79 G Storage
September 10, 2012 11:16:21 AM

I would test it first to ensure that it's not a drive failure issue. As it's a secondary drive, you can test it with Windows diagnostic software. Ideally you should use diagnostic software from that specific drive manufacturer, but they don't all provide a Windows version. Seagate & WD do though. The links are here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

The Seagate one ("SeaTools for Windows") can in fact be used to test any brand of drive if the manufacturer does not have it's own.
m
l

Best solution

September 10, 2012 11:24:31 AM

Go to computer management and see if it shows under disk management. If it does, then it mightneed to be reallocated as disk space(losing all data) or re-initialzed(also data loss). If it does not show then it most probably is a hardware problem
Related resources
September 10, 2012 1:30:32 PM

Best answer selected by lazar_99.
m
l
September 10, 2012 1:31:28 PM

aggawk said:
Go to computer management and see if it shows under disk management. If it does, then it mightneed to be reallocated as disk space(losing all data) or re-initialzed(also data loss). If it does not show then it most probably is a hardware problem

Sorry man the problem i had is not the HDD being undetected, its just both primary and secondary have 2 partitions and one on each isn't shown in my computer. I wanted to reinstall my OS but after i saw in windows setup that all partitions are shown there i thought that they just clicked something to hide partitions. Do you know what could it be? I would rather fix the problem without reinstalling my OS
m
l
!