Low Budget Build for basic functions

theJ

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
6 months ago i successfully built my first computer with the help of the guys (and gals?) from tomshardware. Well i'm back to put one together for my in-laws.

I'm planning on saving some parts from the existing computer, and combining them with new to greatly improve performance. Their current computer is a pre-built Compaq Presario SR1222NX. You can see the specs here.

Use: The computer is used mostly for internet, some excel work, as well as some other light program work. Nothing strenuous. But the current comp is more than 6 years old, loaded with spyware, and they don't have any of the discs to restore windows with. So instead of spending countless hours fighting the POS, they've agreed to pay some more money so they can abuse a new computer (they are both clueless about computers). I'd like to keep the spending under $425. Anything more, and it'd be better to just buy a new one pre-built.

Budget: $425. The lower the better. So if we can save on one component, the savings don't need to be added to another.

I want to save the existing:

HDD (80 gigs, will be used for storage)
Disc Drive - there are two installed already
Keyboard
Mouse
Monitor
Case - micro ATX

The new parts i'm planning on buying new are:

Processor
Motherboard
HDD - boot drive and storage
RAM
PSU
Windows7, since their current XP OS is OEM.

No new video card. Will use integrated graphics on motherboard. The most video watching they do is watch youtube.

These are the parts i've picked out. Public Newegg list. Also listed below.

Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor ADX245OCGQBOX

Motherboard: BIOSTAR A785G3 AM3 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3250318AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

My basic questions are:

1) Are there any other parts out there that would be a better deal than those i picked out?

2) Is everything compatible? (i'm pretty sure on this one, just want to be careful)

3) For the uses i listed above, is the 1333 RAM speed necessary? Should i bump it down to save cash?

4) Anything else you can think of...

Thanks.

$401AR
Untitled-2121.jpg