4890 dx11

G

Hiyo,

So I got this machine a little while ago from Newegg. Put it together myself, did the research, never heard anything about this:

When playing graphically intensive games (read: not WoW, but anything else for the most part), after about 10-20 minutes of play, the game freezes, a split second of a completely artifacted screen appears (like a mosaic of colors), then a black screen for a few seconds, then the game goes right back to what it was doing for another 5-10 minutes. This happens the entire length of my playtime.

I thought it might be the CPU/GPU overheating, but I got some utilities. Whenever the glitch happened, I'd wait another 5 minutes or so while the game's running, then alt-tab and check out the temps of my CPU/GPU. They were both running MAX in the 60-70C range, which I don't think constitutes overheating to the point of shutting down for 5-10 seconds. Idle they both run at around 45-50C.

I got the latest drivers from ATI, ASUS, etc etc.

ASUS P6TD Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel x58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Hanns-G HG-281DPB Black 28" 3ms Widescreen HDMI LCD Monitor

CORSAIR Dominator 6gb (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit

Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 Full ATX Tower

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Adaptor

Diamond 4890PE51GXOC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCIe x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support

Intel Core i7 920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

So here's my specs.

G

Hiyo Maziar,

Thanks for the reply. I was unclear - my apologies.

My CPU and GPU both run at around 40-50C idle, 60-70 with load. I thought it might be one or the other overheating, so I was just mentioning it.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
What does this have to do with dx11? Most likely the card could be damaged in some way. If it's the game thats freezing then it could just be the processor some how being over used.
Try deleting and reinstalling the driver for your video card and restart.
I mean the only time I have had this experiance was an old Nvidia 5500 which was damaged...so I'm guessing it would be the same way.

Hiyo Maziar,

Thanks for the reply. I was unclear - my apologies.

My CPU and GPU both run at around 40-50C idle, 60-70 with load. I thought it might be one or the other overheating, so I was just mentioning it.
I see,OK then it could be a driver issue,first download the latest VGA drivers from AMD's site and then do a clean install,here is how
1_Download and install "Driver sweeper" from Guru3d.com and install
2_Go to add/remove programs and uninstall the driver and reboot
3_Boot to safe mode and open driver sweeper,then click on ATI and then click on clean
4_Reboot and boot normally to windows and install the new drivers after that you need to reboot again and its done