Game over! (Now what!?!?!)

Hello all,

I've just completed the SP mode of 2004. Personally I found Malcom in
hyperblast to be far far too tough.

I remember in the original Xan was pretty hard but persistence coupled with
changing tactics won out in the end. Unfortunately, as you have funds to
watch in 2004, I didn't feel like I could keep plugging away as my balance
would have hit zero quite quickly.

As the level was so widely space compared to the original Hyperblast, I
found I had no chance when up against his superior aim. In the original you
could take advantage of the weaknesses in the ai by using the cramped areas,
ie get xan round corners with a flak.

This step up in difficulty was too big for me compared to all the previous
levels. (I was playing on Skilled)

Im interested other's tactics against they last guy. Dont say 'dont be so
rubbish' or practice or whatever; those are luxuries I cant afford ;)

Is there any specific tactics you can employ?

Here's how I beat him:

1. Get whipped about 6 times.
2. Start again for the 7th time.
3. Laugh as I hear him accidentally plunge to his doom within 10 seconds.
4. With the scores at -1, 0 to me, I go and hide in a secluded spot on the
roof, hidden from view.
5. I wait 15 mins!!!
6. Hooray, the courage and honour await!!!

Minor end game spoiler..

But once the trophy celebration thing is over, now what? No medals? No place
on the top score board? How do you get on there? I've got more than enough
credits and played it at a higher level. Not like my life will end if I dont
but still!
Why does it all appear that I've not even played that last match.

And there are those characters with the '?'s... how do you unlock them??

Cheers,

Oh well, back to getting whipped online... hehehehe

--
-=Matt=-

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 19:10:49 +0100, "-=Matt=-"
<DieSpam@DieSpamDie.co.uk> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I've just completed the SP mode of 2004. Personally I found Malcom in
>hyperblast to be far far too tough.
>
>I remember in the original Xan was pretty hard but persistence coupled with
>changing tactics won out in the end. Unfortunately, as you have funds to
>watch in 2004, I didn't feel like I could keep plugging away as my balance
>would have hit zero quite quickly.
>
>As the level was so widely space compared to the original Hyperblast, I
>found I had no chance when up against his superior aim. In the original you
>could take advantage of the weaknesses in the ai by using the cramped areas,
>ie get xan round corners with a flak.
>
>This step up in difficulty was too big for me compared to all the previous
>levels. (I was playing on Skilled)
>
>Im interested other's tactics against they last guy. Dont say 'dont be so
>rubbish' or practice or whatever; those are luxuries I cant afford ;)
>
>Is there any specific tactics you can employ?
>
>Here's how I beat him:
>
>1. Get whipped about 6 times.
>2. Start again for the 7th time.
>3. Laugh as I hear him accidentally plunge to his doom within 10 seconds.
>4. With the scores at -1, 0 to me, I go and hide in a secluded spot on the
>roof, hidden from view.
>5. I wait 15 mins!!!
>6. Hooray, the courage and honour await!!!
>
>Minor end game spoiler..

LOL. Nice tactic. My technique was to play through the ladder on
"idiot".

>But once the trophy celebration thing is over, now what? No medals? No place
>on the top score board? How do you get on there? I've got more than enough
>credits and played it at a higher level. Not like my life will end if I dont
>but still!
>Why does it all appear that I've not even played that last match.
>
>And there are those characters with the '?'s... how do you unlock them??
>
>Cheers,
>
>Oh well, back to getting whipped online... hehehehe

Sad to say, but the whole "get your name on the list and unlock the
secret character" thingy is completely broken. Kind of a slap in the
face to someone who sweated their way through the ladder, but so be
it. The only way to unlock the secret characters is to hack your
user.ini like so:

[GUI2K4.UT2k4MainPage]
TotalUnlockedCharacters=Malcolm;ClanLord;Xan

The scoreboard thingy reads the same for everyone, so it must just be
a static thing. To the best of my knowledge, Epic hasn't said one way
or another exactly what is supposed to happen at the end, but whatever
it was it.......... didn't.