Modifying startup

There are a couple of programs that run on startup that I no longer *want* to
run. Notably there is a spyware whose DLL I've removed which barks at me and
an HP menu that I don't require. If I go into MSCONFIG-STARTUP, I can
de-check both of them then apply the changes. This *appears* to work but when
I reboot, there they both are, still running. (I'm the administrator). Not to
mention the fact that the System Config tool pops up on loading and tells me
I'm running in "Selective Startup". (Clicking the check box to tell it NOT to
tell me that has zero impact). So how can I take items out of startup? Is
there an INI or something I can modify? Help. This is maddening!
5 answers Last reply
More about modifying startup

    "jpas1954" <jpas1954@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > There are a couple of programs that run on startup that I no longer *want*
    > run. Notably there is a spyware whose DLL I've removed which barks at me
    > and
    > an HP menu that I don't require. If I go into MSCONFIG-STARTUP, I can
    > de-check both of them then apply the changes. This *appears* to work but
    > when
    > I reboot, there they both are, still running. (I'm the administrator). Not
    > mention the fact that the System Config tool pops up on loading and tells
    > me
    > I'm running in "Selective Startup". (Clicking the check box to tell it NOT
    > tell me that has zero impact). So how can I take items out of startup? Is
    > there an INI or something I can modify? Help. This is maddening!

    Go get Startup Inspector for Windows (http://www.windowsstartup.com/) a hell
    of a lot more insight than msconfig and more control.
    If you like another good one try the Startup Control Panel at www.mlin.net.
    They are pretty much self-explanatory in their use.

    george

    George,

    Startup Inspector was a step in the right direction. It allowed me to turn
    off a particularly annyoying HP navigator that I don't want. But for whatever
    reason, it won't allow me to stop running that stupid DLL. I tell it to stop
    running that program in startup and it appears to accept the changes when I
    apply them. Then I reboot, the DLL message errors out, I look in the utility
    and damned if it isn't still there in Startup. It's insidious.

    "george" wrote:

    > "jpas1954" <jpas1954@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > There are a couple of programs that run on startup that I no longer *want*
    > > run. Notably there is a spyware whose DLL I've removed which barks at me
    > > and
    > > an HP menu that I don't require. If I go into MSCONFIG-STARTUP, I can
    > > de-check both of them then apply the changes. This *appears* to work but
    > > when
    > > I reboot, there they both are, still running. (I'm the administrator). Not
    > > mention the fact that the System Config tool pops up on loading and tells
    > > me
    > > I'm running in "Selective Startup". (Clicking the check box to tell it NOT
    > > tell me that has zero impact). So how can I take items out of startup? Is
    > > there an INI or something I can modify? Help. This is maddening!
    >
    > Go get Startup Inspector for Windows (http://www.windowsstartup.com/) a hell
    > of a lot more insight than msconfig and more control.
    > If you like another good one try the Startup Control Panel at www.mlin.net.
    > They are pretty much self-explanatory in their use.
    >
    > george

    It almost sounds like there is another 'startup'-process that calls upon
    that DLL.
    You *could* try and search the registry for the name of the dll (leave out
    the dll suffix), then export the registry key where you possibly find a
    reference to it (for safety, to import if it's not the right one :-)).
    Then delete that key and see what happens.

    hth

    george

    > George,
    >
    > Startup Inspector was a step in the right direction. It allowed me to turn
    > off a particularly annyoying HP navigator that I don't want. But for
    > whatever
    > reason, it won't allow me to stop running that stupid DLL. I tell it to
    > stop
    > running that program in startup and it appears to accept the changes when
    > apply them. Then I reboot, the DLL message errors out, I look in the
    > utility
    > and damned if it isn't still there in Startup. It's insidious.
    >
    > "george" wrote:
    >

    >> "jpas1954" <jpas1954@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > There are a couple of programs that run on startup that I no longer
    >> > *want*
    >> > run. Notably there is a spyware whose DLL I've removed which barks at
    >> > me
    >> > and
    >> > an HP menu that I don't require. If I go into MSCONFIG-STARTUP, I can
    >> > de-check both of them then apply the changes. This *appears* to work
    >> > but
    >> > when
    >> > I reboot, there they both are, still running. (I'm the administrator).
    >> > Not
    >> > mention the fact that the System Config tool pops up on loading and
    >> > tells
    >> > me
    >> > I'm running in "Selective Startup". (Clicking the check box to tell it
    >> > NOT
    >> > tell me that has zero impact). So how can I take items out of startup?
    >> > Is
    >> > there an INI or something I can modify? Help. This is maddening!
    >>
    >> Go get Startup Inspector for Windows (http://www.windowsstartup.com/) a
    >> hell
    >> of a lot more insight than msconfig and more control.
    >> If you like another good one try the Startup Control Panel at
    >> www.mlin.net.
    >> They are pretty much self-explanatory in their use.
    >>
    >> george

    Download SysInternals Process Explorer -
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
    and you'll be able to see which processes are child processes of the
    rogue DLL and kill them.

    After you've killed the rogue processes, removing the rogue DLL should work.

    Alternatively, if Process Explorer looks too daunting, try WinPatrol -
    http://www.winpatrol.com
    When you use WinPatrol to disable/remove the DLL startup item, WinPatrol
    will offer to kill the associated running process.

    --
    Bob Dietz

    jpas1954 wrote:
    > George,
    >
    > Startup Inspector was a step in the right direction. It allowed me to turn
    > off a particularly annyoying HP navigator that I don't want. But for whatever
    > reason, it won't allow me to stop running that stupid DLL. I tell it to stop
    > running that program in startup and it appears to accept the changes when I
    > apply them. Then I reboot, the DLL message errors out, I look in the utility
    > and damned if it isn't still there in Startup. It's insidious.
    >
    > "george" wrote:
    >

    >>"jpas1954" <jpas1954@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>There are a couple of programs that run on startup that I no longer *want*
    >>>run. Notably there is a spyware whose DLL I've removed which barks at me
    >>>and
    >>>an HP menu that I don't require. If I go into MSCONFIG-STARTUP, I can
    >>>de-check both of them then apply the changes. This *appears* to work but
    >>>when
    >>>I reboot, there they both are, still running. (I'm the administrator). Not
    >>>mention the fact that the System Config tool pops up on loading and tells
    >>>me
    >>>I'm running in "Selective Startup". (Clicking the check box to tell it NOT
    >>>tell me that has zero impact). So how can I take items out of startup? Is
    >>>there an INI or something I can modify? Help. This is maddening!
    >>
    >>Go get Startup Inspector for Windows (http://www.windowsstartup.com/) a hell
    >>of a lot more insight than msconfig and more control.
    >>If you like another good one try the Startup Control Panel at www.mlin.net.
    >>They are pretty much self-explanatory in their use.
    >>
    >>george

    "jpas1954" <jpas1954@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > But for whatever
    > reason, it won't allow me to stop running that stupid DLL. I tell it to
    > stop
    > running that program in startup and it appears to accept the changes when
    > apply them. Then I reboot, the DLL message errors out, I look in the
    > utility
    > and damned if it isn't still there in Startup. It's insidious.

    In cleaning up a friend's computer, I ran into spyware that puts little
    executables all over the place. Their file names seem benign. But if you
    miss even one of them, it starts the infection all over again when you
    reboot.

Configuration Hewlett Packard Windows XP