Dell dimension 4700 wont boot up fans wont turn on

Hello,
My computer wont start up the power light keeps blinking, nothing works
9 answers Last reply
More about dell dimension 4700 wont boot fans wont turn
  1. Could be your power supply acting up. To "reset" the PSU, disconnect the power cord from the computer itself. If the power supply has a physical toggle switch, push it to the off position. Then press the power button on the front to discharge any residual power built up in the system.

    Then reverse the above and try again. See if that helps.

    If you need a replacement power supply, txcesssurplus.com is a good source for older Dell parts.

    Good luck!!!
  2. I tryied that out and well its still blinking
    nothing is coming on?
  3. OK. I suspect that your power supply has failed and needs to be replaced. Make sure you get either a Dell 4700 power supply or one specifically designed as a Dell power supply. Older Dells used a proprietary wired 20 (or 24) pin motherboard connector that won't work with standard "generic" power supplies.
  4. I think your right on the power supply, when i plug the power cord in then push the start up button it blinks and nothing switches on, the fans or anything. theres a light on the motherboard that stays lit. but for sure you think its the power supply?
  5. It sure sounds like it.
  6. COLGeek said:
    OK. I suspect that your power supply has failed and needs to be replaced. Make sure you get either a Dell 4700 power supply or one specifically designed as a Dell power supply. Older Dells used a proprietary wired 20 (or 24) pin motherboard connector that won't work with standard "generic" power supplies.

    The 4700 isn't that old, a standard ATX psu works ( 24 pin ).
  7. delluser1 said:
    The 4700 isn't that old, a standard ATX psu works ( 24 pin ).

    That is good to know as many older Dells do have that limitation. Thanks for the enlightenment.
  8. Budagroceryandgrill said:
    I think your right on the power supply, when i plug the power cord in then push the start up button it blinks and nothing switches on, the fans or anything. theres a light on the motherboard that stays lit. but for sure you think its the power supply?



    I have the same problem. Did you resolved this issue by installing a new PSU? Or else what did you did to find a resolution to it...?


    Thanks
  9. delluser1 said:
    The 4700 isn't that old, a standard ATX psu works ( 24 pin ).



    For what it's worth, I am working on a 4700 and it has a 20 pin PSU connector. Not all mobos are created equal I guess!
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Computers Boot Dimension Dell Components