Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R boot loop w/pic (SOLVED)

olaHalo

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Hello
Ive read through the Gigabyte guide and it seems my computer has all the symptoms of a 'Thermally induced' boot loop. From a cold start it boots up fine. It even makes it to windows. Sometimes itll last for a minute or two. Then the computer will restart by itself. Only this time it wont make it to windows. Itll keep doing this over and over at shorter intervals until it fails to POST.
I have removed the heatsink fan and even the cpu. Ive inspected them and cleaned them. I applied new thermal paste and reinstalled everything. I even tried another heatsink fan. However the problem remains.
Also when I do make it to windows the cpu temps are around 45 degrees.

The computer has ran perfect for about 5 months. It was also on all day and i noticed it shutoff while idle.

Specs
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Intel i7 950
PSU Rosewill| 700W RV2-700 RT
2x4gb GSkill ram (I know I should use 3 for triple channel)
Sapphire ATI Radeon 5770

Thanks for any input

Solution
Well, after reading your problem...I'm wondering about the psu...rosewill are not known for making good supplies!
Can you swap in a decent supply brand such as corsair, seasonic, pc p& cooling or enermax?
It definitly sounds like a thermal problem...I would do this.

1...Take the side off it and start the computer and let it go through the loops until it won't post.
2....Carefully touch each heatsink and see if it's too hot to keep your finger on. If they are all good after that then I would swap the supply as noted above and see if that fixes it...
Failing all that you might have a mobo that has gone bad....
Please post back on the results....JQ

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Well, after reading your problem...I'm wondering about the psu...rosewill are not known for making good supplies!
Can you swap in a decent supply brand such as corsair, seasonic, pc p& cooling or enermax?
It definitly sounds like a thermal problem...I would do this.

1...Take the side off it and start the computer and let it go through the loops until it won't post.
2....Carefully touch each heatsink and see if it's too hot to keep your finger on. If they are all good after that then I would swap the supply as noted above and see if that fixes it...
Failing all that you might have a mobo that has gone bad....
Please post back on the results....JQ

Solution

olaHalo

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011

i just turned my desktop on to try and touch the the heatsinks after it began to do the boot loop cycle and some odd things happened. first the computer ran CHKDSK upon startup, which is expected i guess since it keeps shutting down. but half way throughthe CHKDSK process (which it was finding problems btw) the monitor shuts off and the computer restarts. however it didnt shut everything off. the leds and fans and everything kept running the entire time.
now my desktop has been running for about 15 minutes without restarting.
im not gonna get my hopes up, but this is just making it more confusing.

EDIT
ok the bootloops began again after about 20 minutes of idle. The part of the heatsink right above the CPU isnt hot at all. However the 2 blue heatsinks on the board are a little warm, but dont seem to be that hot. But ive never really payed attention to how hot they are before.

Also when the computer restarts there are LEDs that always light up. They are supposed to indicate the North Bridge load. Do these always come on when the computer starts? I cant remember
Few pics to show you what LEDs I mean.
DSC00110.jpg

DSC00107.jpg

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
I have a gigabyte board as in my sig...and yes they all light and go out as the system goes through boot process....I believe they are a post code system for trouble shooting the computer.
Have you tried the psu swap yet..you might get the definitive answer from that...
JQ

olaHalo

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011

ok thanks.
i just got the psu
gonna start pulling the parts all of now
DSC00111.jpg

olaHalo

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
So i have replaced the PSU with a new Corsair GS700.
and so far the computer has been running for over an hour without restarting.

Ill wait until tomorrow to see if this is truly solved but its looking good so far
thanks to all who helped

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
No problem....that's why we're here!!!
I don't think you'll be having any more problems from this day forward...system wise!!!!
Just remember....if you have a problem you know where to go....

please select the best answer before you leave the forums..it helps us get our credentials up...JQ