I7-930 + Megahalems High Stock Temp + Imperfection on CPU Contact

Status
Not open for further replies.

dutchrend

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
=====Computer Info, Newly Assembled=====================================================================
Intel Core I7-930 @ 2.8GHz Stock
Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B
Scythe SY1225SL12M 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan 1200rpm (Pushing, rear Antec 902 exhaust pulling)
ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower (with more than perfect airflow/wiring)
eVGA GTX 285SSC (waiting for 480SC to arrive RMA w/ eVGA, freezes @ win login after installing drivers)
Corsair TX850
Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 triple channel (@1600 via XMB Profile 1 in Bios) <- first thing I've ever overclocked
Western Digital 1TB 32MB cache Sata 3GB/s (waiting for 3rd gen SSD to upgrade)
LG 22x? dual layer / lightscribe / etc
=================================================================================================
*All parts came from Newegg (except CPU cooler, TigerDirect) *Had to RMA the video card w/ eVGA (read above) *CPU Cooler imperfection from the start
*I have 4 total questions below, with relevant info above each one, and some Photos/Screen shots.
=================================================================================================

1- Background/Imperfection Information/Question:
I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and helping me! I assembled the computer Thu. Sep 02, and let it sit overnight until the video card arrived Fri. Sep 03 AM. From the very beginning, I was unhappy with the Megahalems due to there being a finger print on the tape that covers the CPU contact, and oily residue left over after peeling it off. I cleaned it up with a slightly moist Q-tip and wiped/polished it with a clean microfiber guitar polishing cloth only to discover an imperfection towards one of the very outer edges on the cooler's CPU contact that was unnoticeable before removing the oily residue. It looked like someone took a tiny, rusty needle tip, and tapped it twice. However, it appeared far enough to the outer-edge that it wouldn't make contact with the CPU and/or would be accounted for after the Megahalems' thermal paste was applied. I applied a "2 grain of rice" sized dot of paste to the center of the cpu, placed the cooler on it, and screwed it down.
*Note: the cooler did move around a considerable amount while resting on the CPU as I finished it's bracket assembly and tightened it down. Also I screwed the spring screws down until they stopped, and then turned each screw about 1/2 turn back to not apply too much pressure on to the cpu.

LINK TO CPU IMPERFECTION: http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/dutchrend/Computer Build Sep 2010/HPIM1747.jpg
LINK TO THERMAL PASTE APPLICATION: http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/dutchrend/Computer Build Sep 2010/HPIM1749.jpg

*1. Is it common to have an imperfection on a brand new cpu cooler, or should all of them be 100% perfect out of the box?
*1. Any recommendations for when I re-seat this tonight? (please take a look at the below info/questions to help with this answer)

2 - Temperature Issues: *Running Prime95 for 3 minutes permanently caused my idle temps to go up ~5-8c
At first, I was using Asus' PC Probe to view the temperatures of the CPU/Motherboard (28-32c mobo / 32-34 cpu idle) which seemed acceptable. If I had to guess the temperature in the room, I would guess 74-78 Fahrenheit. I ran a 25 man raid in WoW, and played Mafia 2 both @ maximum settings 1920x1200, and the temperatures never reached above 48c on the CPU(Asus' PC Probe), and quickly returned to the idle states after I alt+tabbed and waited a few seconds. Last night I decided to look for some better monitoring software (Real Temp 3.4) and run Prime 95. I let it run for about 3 minutes, which is when I saw one of the cores hit 71c and stopped it. 71c was unacceptable to me for the stock speed of this CPU, as people running overclocks to 3.8/4.0GHz are getting max temps in the mid-60's or less with my exact configuration. Now I'm sure there are people who embellish their temp a bit, but back to the matter at hand, I should not be getting 71c on any core running at stock speed with the hardware I purchased. Also, after running Prime95, my idle temps + general use temps went up by about ~5-8c. Temps now: 32mobo/37+cpu idle

LINK TO SCREENSHOT OF BOTH MONITORING PROGRAMS: http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/dutchrend/Computer Build Sep 2010/FirstCPUseat.jpg

*2. Is it common for Prime95 to raise the idle temps of my CPU cores after using it for only 3 minutes?? Or was this temperature raise due to the paste 'settling'?

3 - Megahalems Thermal Paste VS Arctic Silver 5:
From the very little amount of information I have come across about these compounds, both of which I have right now, I have read that the thermal paste that comes with the Megahalems cooler is the paste that is meant to be used with it as it's aluminum to aluminum vs the silver in AS5 that creates resistance.

*3. Best to use the Megahalems thermal paste with it? Or is it untrue that the silver in AS5 will cause it to not work as well?

4 - The desired 'Tightness' when screwing down the Megahalems down on to the cpu

Also, from the very little info I could find on this, I found two suggestions. The first is to screw down the cooler just enough to where it wants to stop, and then turn each screw back 1/4-/1/2 of a turn. The second was to screw down the cooler all the way down, since there are springs on the screws that will prevent you from putting on too much pressure.

*4. Screw it all the way down, and rely on the springs on the screws to ensure it's not too tight?
*4.5 OR screw it down until it wants to stop, and turn it back 1/4 of a turn or so?
(I have the ability to RMA the cooler for a new one and use the stock cooler until it arrives, and I do not have enough knowledge to use a sander/sand paper to grind the cpu contact down properly to remove the imperfection)

=====================================================================
Last Thoughts:
I am going to the local computer store to purchase any thermal paste remover/cleaner/purifier they have, and see if they can offer any advice as well. I plan to re-seat the cooler on to the CPU tonight to find out of I can get better temperatures. Also, sadly, the Case/Mobo only came with enough cardboard washers/seating screws to use 7 on my motherboard, when it was recommended to use 9. I'll be fixing that as well tonight. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, and any help you can provide would mean the world to me!

-Dutch

Solution
Your temps are excellent. You don't need to do anything. Very few people actually get idle temps in the low 30's celcius. Mine usually run in the mid 40's. I don't use prime 95 as very few games will tax the cpu that much. Even 71c for brief periods won't hurt your cpu.

dutchrend

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
I appreciate the response ;D, I think the size of my post was too much for the casual helper.. maybe i'll just post each question separately and delete this one if I can't get any further info ;/. The temps would not bother me as much if if weren't for that I plan to overclock to 3.6-3.8GHz, and if I'm already getting 71c on one core at stock, I can't fathom what it would be overclocked. Then there's the issue that running Prime95 caused my cpu to permanently heat up almost 24 hours after I stopped the test :(. + the other questions I listed. But I think what I'm going to do is just go ahead and clean off & re-paste the cooler/cpu and see if I can bring my temps back to what they were before running Prime95, and then when I do the overclock, I will just stray away from ever running Prime95 and stick to my games like originally, when the temps were acceptable to me. I'll be able to watch the temps, and not need Prime95 to torture the cpu to find problems. If a game crashes, then that's how I'll detect a bad oc.

My son's build has a 920 w/ Megahalems and he's seeing 71 when using his gaming profiles which are 4.0 - 4.2 Ghz.

He sees mid 50's w/ 3.78 GHz OC on his 24/7 BIOS profile w/ HT and all other BIOS settings at normal. VCore is set at 1.125.

What thermal paste are you using ? If it's AS5, expect to wait quite some time before it "cures". I can't see that small imperfection being an issue.

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010

I have a Megahalems on an i7 860 I know it is 1156 chip not a 1366 but it should give you an Idea, the mounting is alittle different and I noticed that the cooler was alittle loose when I intalled it but I went with it. I installed mine with the thumb screws completely tight.
I used MX-2 the first time I seated the heatsink and was happy with the results (36c idle core temps) but after looking on line I found out the Prolimatech PK1 performed better than AS5 and MX-2. When I re-seated with the prolimatec paste my temps dropped to 34c idle core temps, also I noticed that my idle temps only changed about 2c when overclocked to 4.0ghz, I dont use prime95 because not alot of people stress the CPU 100%, in games though the cores dont go over 52c and in 3d mark06/Vantage I have seen them go over 72c but that is for short periods of time and from what I have seen anything around 75c-85c is safe for an i7 depending on who you talk to.
From what I can see everything you have looks good the minor imperfections wont affect anything.
Just a few questions though what fan/s are you using on the cooler and check to make sure your CPU voltage is set to auto in the bios and remember that if turbo boost is enabled than it will overclock automaticaly to 3.33ghz and the voltage will raise to, which will affect temps.

This is a link to a thermal paste review.
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=62

Enjoy the best CPU air cooler out for the i7 at this time. :D

Solution

notty22

Distinguished
IMO, you should have the screws all the way tightened, no reason to back off 1/2 a turn ? You never mention your cpu voltage. Running at stock speed but with a high voltage will create heat. If its on auto it might be at 1.25 or higher.
Other 920 owners can chip in, but your can probably set that manually at 1.22 for stock clocks. After assuring stability some choose to lower a notch at a time.

dutchrend

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Thanks for the replies everyone! I went ahead and cleaned/reapplied the thermal paste tonight (the kind that the Megahalems came with like I did the first time) and used just a little bit less, because when I took off the cooler, the cpu was fully covered, but with just a tid bit too much. I also went ahead and tightened it down further than before. My temps are now lower than what they were the first time. Even the mobo is a couple degrees cooler now. I also found that the imperfection on the cooler's cpu contact doesn't touch the cpu at all; if it did i would be worried because the indentations are quite deep. It makes me wonder if they gave me a refurbished.. /shrug.

Old Temps: http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/dutchrend/Computer%20Build%20Sep%202010/FirstCPUseat.jpg
New Temps: http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/dutchrend/Computer%20Build%20Sep%202010/2ndCPUseat.jpg

-Vcore: 0.94V (Auto in BIOS, speedstep/turbo boost on for both temp read-outs) But I've never actually seen my cpu say it was anything over 2.8GHz
-The Asus program EPU-6 Engine was set to Turbo both times, which doesn't use any power saving options apparently.
-Push Fan: Scythe SY1225SL12M 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan 1200rpm
-Pull Fan: The Antec Tri-Cool exhaust fan in the back of my case behind the cooler set on High.
-Megahalem's Paste.

So to the best of my knowledge everything is looking acceptable now. I'm going to buy a 2k RPM fan before I over-clock, especially since my 480sc will be here via RMA in a few days and that will probably turn my comp in to a heater for winter time. Again, thanks for the replies, I know the original was a beast to read thru. Not sure who to click for best answer.

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010

Try core temp to see if your CPU is over clocking on its own. That is what I use and it will tell you your speed, multiplier and core temps. Real temp looks better and has more options but I think core temp works a little better personally. Good luck and enjoy the new build. [:bohleyk:1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS