Jun 27, 2010
So i put together my computer here are the componenets:

i5 750
gigabyte p55 ud3
4 gb dd3 ram
500 gb hd
dvd/ cd rw drive
antec 300 case.

Im not sure why but when i booot my computer the cd rom keeps making a sound like its trying to read a disk and then stops and it constantly does it even with no cd in it. help please! my first build

lowriderflow

Distinguished
Hmm... that's a strange one. Have you isolated it down to your DVD drive for sure? unplugged it and then it stops? if so... Try any old cdrom/dvd drive in the same slot and see if it does it. If not, then i'd say it's a bad drive... which is odd tho.

I had that problem once. Does your tray open magically? I tend to just buy a new one when they break. I bought a new retail HP dvd burner for 25 bucks. If yours is brand new just send it back to the store. If you have to ship it back just demand shipping refund they usually do.

k1ngkev1n1

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
when i put the cd rom on master instead of slave it stops making that sound, but i can opent he cd rom when i push the button but the green light is on.

All SATA drives are master. SATA got rid of the master slave thing. Unless you're still sporting the old IDE drives? It could be just an incompatibility problem if it's really old.

What OS are you running on that beast? I'm assuming windows 7 or ubuntu.

k1ngkev1n1

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010

yes i got a new cd rom and it worked must of been a faulty cd rom drive.