Sign in with
Your question

CPU Fan Failure

Last response: in Components
September 7, 2010 8:20:32 PM

Howdy gents.

I tried to start up my computer earlier today and it gave me the CPU fan failure error message on start up. Now, I replaced my GPU (9800 GT) with a GTX 460 and the computer went fine for a few weeks until now and the CPU is a Q6700 (socket 775). Is it a problem with my power supply or do I have to pick up a new fan for it? I'm generally unsure how to go about this because I don't have a spare fan or PSU on hand.

More about : cpu fan failure

September 7, 2010 8:24:39 PM

Airmanator said:
Howdy gents.

I tried to start up my computer earlier today and it gave me the CPU fan failure error message on start up. Now, I replaced my GPU (9800 GT) with a GTX 460 and the computer went fine for a few weeks until now and the CPU is a Q6700 (socket 775). Is it a problem with my power supply or do I have to pick up a new fan for it? I'm generally unsure how to go about this because I don't have a spare fan or PSU on hand.

I fixed it, sorry about posting this. I was stupid enough to not wiggle the fan itself to see if it'd go -- and it did.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 159 à CPUs
September 7, 2010 8:24:44 PM

Could be a bad fan port on your motherboard. But I would try a different fan first. Your ps should be adequate for your system. If you decide to change ps, go with corsair this time. They handle stress better.
m
l
Related resources
September 7, 2010 8:25:23 PM

Did you open up the case and see the fan not spinning? If it does not spin, try giving it a spinning start before turning on the computer and see if it keeps going. If not I would just buy a new fan. They are cheap. If the gtx 460 is drawing too much power that your power supply could not handle it you would have other problems. What size and brand power supply do you have?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2010 3:05:09 PM

PSU is unlikely to be the problem. The most likely are:
(a) The connector from the CPU fan to the mobo pin port is dirty or loose. Unplug and reconnect a few times gently just to "scrub" the surfaces, then see if that has fixed the problem.
(b) CPU cooler fan actually is going bad, and bearings are starting to seize up. Fix by replacing the fan, but ONLY after you check the first one above.
m
l
September 8, 2010 4:17:26 PM

Paperdoc said:
PSU is unlikely to be the problem. The most likely are:
(a) The connector from the CPU fan to the mobo pin port is dirty or loose. Unplug and reconnect a few times gently just to "scrub" the surfaces, then see if that has fixed the problem.
(b) CPU cooler fan actually is going bad, and bearings are starting to seize up. Fix by replacing the fan, but ONLY after you check the first one above.

It must've been a patch of dust siezing it up, but I'll take it out and examine it further. Thanks for the help.
m
l
!