Sign in with
Your question

Failed overclock, system will not boot.

Last response: in Systems
July 10, 2010 8:48:58 PM

I searched the threads to see if I could find a scenario similar to mine, and I could not.

Long story short, I had my i7-860 overclocked to a modest 3.0 GHz, running fine. I decided to bump it up to 3.4 GHz and run Prime95 to see my temperatures. At 100% load, the temperatures were getting too high for my comfort (upper 80s avg, high of 95 C), so I was going to stop the test, and turn down the clock settings. Before I could stop the test, my computer cut off. I waited a few minutes, attempted to turn it back on, and the PC would not boot.

As soon as I press the power button, the PC "charges up" as if it were going to boot, turns on the LEDs, and spins the fans, but then cuts off almost immediately. This surge of power lasts roughly 2 - 3 seconds before completely cutting off. I swapped PSUs to see if by chance my PSU had blown. This same issue is present with the other PSU.

I removed the motherboard battery, and left it out overnight. Still, this issue continued.

Any help or suggestions will be highly appreciative. I'm super bummed about this.

System specs:

Intel Core i7-860, 2.8 GHz
XFX Radeon HD 4890
Gigabyte GA P55-USB3 (Rev 1.0), 1156
Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600 RAM
Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850W PSU
a b K Overclocking
July 10, 2010 9:57:25 PM

Removing the battery should have re-set your BIOS settings to their default settings. Unplug the machine's power cord, and use the CLR_CMOS jumper to reset the BIOS to default - move the jumper from the two pins it links to the middle pin and the other pin. Leave it there about a minute, then put the jumper back into its original position. Then re-connect the power cord and try starting it again.

If that doesn't work, you may have other hardware problems. You didn't say what your OC settings were, but if you gave the CPU or the RAM too much voltage, you may have fried it.
m
l
July 10, 2010 10:08:41 PM

I've spoken with Intel and they stated that overvolting the RAM past 1.5 volts will damage the cpu and the motherboard. This is because the memory controller is on the cpu. Not sure how true that is but just an FYI.

himynameisS3AN said:
I searched the threads to see if I could find a scenario similar to mine, and I could not.

Long story short, I had my i7-860 overclocked to a modest 3.0 GHz, running fine. I decided to bump it up to 3.4 GHz and run Prime95 to see my temperatures. At 100% load, the temperatures were getting too high for my comfort (upper 80s avg, high of 95 C), so I was going to stop the test, and turn down the clock settings. Before I could stop the test, my computer cut off. I waited a few minutes, attempted to turn it back on, and the PC would not boot.

As soon as I press the power button, the PC "charges up" as if it were going to boot, turns on the LEDs, and spins the fans, but then cuts off almost immediately. This surge of power lasts roughly 2 - 3 seconds before completely cutting off. I swapped PSUs to see if by chance my PSU had blown. This same issue is present with the other PSU.

I removed the motherboard battery, and left it out overnight. Still, this issue continued.

Any help or suggestions will be highly appreciative. I'm super bummed about this.

System specs:

Intel Core i7-860, 2.8 GHz
XFX Radeon HD 4890
Gigabyte GA P55-USB3 (Rev 1.0), 1156
Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600 RAM
Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850W PSU

m
l
Related resources
July 11, 2010 3:20:10 AM

treefrog07 said:
Removing the battery should have re-set your BIOS settings to their default settings. Unplug the machine's power cord, and use the CLR_CMOS jumper to reset the BIOS to default - move the jumper from the two pins it links to the middle pin and the other pin. Leave it there about a minute, then put the jumper back into its original position. Then re-connect the power cord and try starting it again.

If that doesn't work, you may have other hardware problems. You didn't say what your OC settings were, but if you gave the CPU or the RAM too much voltage, you may have fried it.

Thank you for your reply. The only issue is my CLR_CMOS jumper only has 2 pins as opposed to 3 on typical motherboards. Also, I cannot find my jumper cap in my motherboard's box, nor on the motherboard itself. I assume I'm going to need to contact Gigabyte for assistance with my jumper. :/ 

My OC settings were chosen using "Load Line Calibration" in Gigabyte's M.I.T. section of the BIOS. I am slightly new to overclocking, and I chose my overclocking settings as referenced in a tutorial published by NCIX on YouTube showing how to overclock an i5-750/i7-860.

Thanks again for your help, and I'll see what I can do in tracking down my jumper cap.
m
l
April 25, 2011 3:10:25 PM

Hi, there

I think we might have the same or very similar problem where after overclocking the CPU and increased the voltage of the ram resulting the computer won't load the OS or even have the screen on of any sort.

I was able to have the windows loaded after switching the ram from the channel 0 to channel 1. After I did that, the windows was loaded and every looks normal (so i think i damaged the duo channel 0 for the ram).....till about the last few days.

now i am having the problem of after shutting down or hibernate the pc, the pc will turn it on itself for no reason. I thought perhaps i had someone hacked to my pc, so i reformatted the hhd on Sat. This morning got up, same thing happened again. Not sure what is going on, and can't find anyone has any similar problem to mine. But i will be running the ram test and stability test to see if my set up is stable at all. after the last crash, i don't have any component is overclock right now.

Drop me an email if you have the same problem and found a way in fixing it. (superchen0808 at gmail dot com)
m
l
April 25, 2011 3:44:32 PM

Hi, there

I think we might have the same or very similar problem where after overclocking the CPU and increased the voltage of the ram resulting the computer won't load the OS or even have the screen on of any sort.

I was able to have the windows loaded after switching the ram from the channel 0 to channel 1. After I did that, the windows was loaded and every looks normal (so i think i damaged the duo channel 0 for the ram).....till about the last few days.

now i am having the problem of after shutting down or hibernate the pc, the pc will turn it on itself for no reason. I thought perhaps i had someone hacked to my pc, so i reformatted the hhd on Sat. This morning got up, same thing happened again. Not sure what is going on, and can't find anyone has any similar problem to mine. But i will be running the ram test and stability test to see if my set up is stable at all. after the last crash, i don't have any component is overclock right now.

Drop me an email if you have the same problem and found a way in fixing it. (superchen0808 at gmail dot com)
m
l
!