New build screeching noise and crashing

Shinahami091

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
I'm stumped! I've googles high and low for an answer and am beginning to think I'm the only one with this problem.

Upon starting up Windows 7 x64 home edition there is an annoying nails-on-chalkboard noise coming from my motherboard somewhere. At first I thought it was the ram so I tested each stick in different slots. The screeching noise persists. I unplugged my optical drive thinking that was it, still there. I have also tried 3 different video cards the last one being a GTX465. No dice!

Upon listening closely, the sound seems to be coming from somewhere near the northbridge and almost the CPU itself.

There are other symptoms that occur as well and seem to be connected with the screeching noise:

There are horizontal lines that are visible on the black windows loading screen that flicker up and down the screen and get more intense and vivid the louder the chirping noise gets. Shortly after it gets bad enough the system shuts down and turns itself back on, perhaps a hard reset?

I was able to get the latest bios updated for my mobo so compatibility with other hardware shouldn't be too big of an issue. I have however managed to find a way to keep my computer up long enough to run some basic tests on windows. By adjusting memory and bus voltages in bios I can get the intensity of the screeching to lessen but is still present.

The screeching also seems to happen whenever I drag a window or type. This could be interface interference but I was only aware that kind of screeching came through speakers connected to the computer of which I don't have connected. I also forgot to mention that my computer only does a hard reset when the screeching noise gets to a certain intensity.

Sorry for the long read but I figure as much info is needed to provide accurate advice. There is a lot going on but I feel that it is all tied to one problem.

My system specs are as follows:

intel core i7-930
ASUS P6X58d Premium motherboard
Galaxy nVidia GTX 465 vid card
750GB WD Caviar Black HD
HP all-in-one blu-ray player
Corsair 850w HX modular PSU
Cooler Master V8 Heatsink

The only thong I'm going to try doing upon waiting for feedback is trying to install my video card drivers. I have a hunch the on-board video is what's causing the crashing.

Please help! I appreciate any response I can get!

Solution
I guess that's a start then just RMA the board.

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
When you adjusted the frequency and voltage did you decrease them?
Do you have another PSU you can try? While you have a quality one there is a chance it may be faulty.

I actually had my work computer recently make a screeching death noise before turning off. The two most likely culprits are either the PSU or the motherboard - it was hard to tell which was responsible at work because with the PSU death the motherboard also died because of it. If you have a spare PSU try it - if the noise is still occuring it could well be the motherboard.

Shinahami091

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
I adjust them down usually but there was an instance I raised the voltage as it was already low as it was and it also improved my uptime.

As an update, I just now took off my heatsink and reapplied the thermal paste to see if that was it. No luck same symptoms. I also mentioned in my first post I was going to try installing the drivers for the video card in hopes of a faulty on board video issue. When everything ramps up to install the computer shuts off. I unfortunately don't have a spare PSU laying around other than the one in my old computer but it doesn't have the proper connectors. I'll have to see about contacting Corsair... Any other ideas in the meantime?

i didn't read you mentioning this but did you try taking out the video card completely and turning on the computer just to see if the screeching would stop?

it sounds like it's the fan on the video card smacking against the heatsink impo.

I suppose it could also may be a fan hitting something metal or a wire. Check all your fans.

Shinahami091

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Well I'll check the fans, but I don't think it's the video card. I have already tried 2 other older video cards and the noosempersists, even over their considerably louder fans.

Shinahami091

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
I rewired the case and made sure all plugs were secure and wires were clear of fans. No luck. :( when it idles in bios an Asus Express gate it makes a hissing noise, like air leaking out of a balloon.

AndyC682

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
this may be a really silly question... but is you graphics set up properly in the BIOS?

I was working on a friend PC a few weeks back and he had the screaching you've described, He had an Nvidia card installed but hadn't de-activaed the onbard

possiblyreefer

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Does it sound like a rape alarm? No jokes :)
I recently installed a 5850 for a friend and it was the first card i had done that required 2xpci-e 6v adapters. I was only using 1 (had some brainfart about crossfire) and it made this noise. Have a little check OP

Shinahami091

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
I started out thinking that but upon closer inspection of my board and user manual, it actually doesn't have onboard video. Not sure why I even assumed that tbh since there aren't any outlets for monitors to plug in to the I/O slots :p

I haven't made any progress. I really don't want to have to RMA my mobo but I just might have to :/ seems like the noise is coming from the CPU socket. Gigabyte has been known to have that issue but theirs is just noise. Mine on my ASUS p6X58D Premium is causing system instability and crashes and visual anomalies on my monitor :/

I guess that's a start then just RMA the board.

Solution

Shinahami091

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Indeed I should! Although I've read other places that ASUS has terrible RMA service. I KNEW I should have went with Gigabyte... Oh well. I wonder if I can just ask for my money back.

Shinahami091

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Lol, No. As I mentioned above I've tried 2 other video cards other than the GTX 465 which I have in now. Neither of the 2 other cards required a 6pin input.

It's really hard to describe the noise. Sometimes you can't hear anything other than the fans but when you get your computer ramped up and posting into windows, my screen flickers with horizontal lines and a ticking/scratching/electrical noise starts coming from the mother board.

When it idles in BIOS it makes a hissing noise like a slow air leak in a balloon.

I could live with the noises and MAYBE the flickering but it's the crashing that I cant :p. Besides, I paid $300 for this junk it should work the way it was designed to.