BEST Low end GPU for future games?

Yanzir

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
hii... im new ere..
and i was wondering if some 1 could tell me about buying a budget card which could run (even with moderate settings) games that hav come out recently and games that will come out later on,preferralby the next 2 years or so..

My budget : $55

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My system(excluding GPU)
Inter p4 3.0 ghz
512mb ram
40 hard disk

P.s : any yeah... i am not looking to change my other specs... just want a Video card.. for the near future games..AND im a casual gamer not a hardcore one...

Solution
Ok i am no extrodinair gamer but,a extrea gig of ram and a 9600 gt is well apropriete if you wanna play games at low settings. If your monitor isnt too big. With my previus system I had an pentium 4 and a 7600 gt and 1 gig of ram and I played crysis fine at normal settings

loneninja

Distinguished
A 4550 will function just fine, but a card that low end will struggle with most new games on anything but low settings. Your cpu and ram are also below the required for most current and upcoming games, a better video card will only do so much for your system.

I didn't mean it won't work in the PC,i meant that instead of getting a new VGA for your system,build a new system instead,however if its not possible,then first get 1GB RAM(which is the minimum amount recommended for gaming),and then get a video card like a HD 4670(depending on your budget),those are the best AGP cards currently available.

I know the OP said he/she did not want a new system. But quite frankly...

Even casual gaming is not going to work on your current system. An old P4 3Ghz, with 512MB RAM isn't going to cut it with any recent games. Period.

You need a newer CPU, really should have 4GB of RAM for gaming purposes, plus a video card. Ultimately, you'd probably have to upgrade everything in your case (maybe even power supply) to make anything reasonable happen.

Much as I hate to say it... it might be cheaper to buy an XBOX or PS3 if you don't see yourself playing many games.

The first question is whether or not your system has a PCI-E x16 slot or an AGP slot. If it is AGP basically I would forget about it. If it is PCI-E x16 then wait for this to come back in stock for the best card under $55;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814141113
That said everyone is correct about both your processor and ram. Your CPU is very poor by today's standards and it will make most current games unplayable. The card linked above should let you play most games a few years old acceptably however.
If you can scrape together $200-250 you can get a card plus replace your motherboard/cpu/ram with something that would allow you to play all current games decently at low resolutions.

I hate to rain on folks' parade. But I have to be entirely honest. Without a whole system upgrade, even spending $250 is going to get you a system that hardly works for recent titles. That's why I was suggesting buying an XBOX 360 or PS3 instead. It's a low budget gaming machine.

Spending so little money on a PC will ultimately disappoint you for playing any kind of games within the last 2-3 years.

Clearly you haven't checked hardware prices very recently. Not everyone needs an Phenom II/i5/i7 and an HD5770 or above. $250 can get you an Athlon II x2/x3 that can likely be unlocked into a x4 and/or OCed to 3.5 easily, an acceptable motherboard for it, 2 gigs of DDR2-800 and a GTS 250 or HD4850(or bump it down to an HD5670 if the PSU cant handle those.) 4 gigs of ram would be nice but still that is a perfectly capable gaming system and certainly better than any console.

Yanzir

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
my bad... its a PCI express 1.0 machine..
but definitely.. i will elect to play games on low settings
ok..maybe im a bit outdated.. but i think my PSU will handle a 300w card
but still.. lets ease up things a bit...

my budget:$60

now i know... there will be shouts of a transition to 2 gb rams, dual core...n all.. but ryt now.. its impossible however.

i did be very appreciative...(for now)..if someone could tell me anything about a GPu that lets me play future games on LOWEST settings with a respectable FPS...

It's impossible. 512mb of ram is low just for running the operating system. Current and future games simply will not work. Can't say it any clearer. Even if you got more ram and an ok card your processor would still be too weak for most current games. Like I said the earlier the best you can do for the money you are talking about is an HD4650 and then you will be able to play games about 3+ years old acceptably but even then some will struggle with 512mb of ram.

pipes2009

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Ok i am no extrodinair gamer but,a extrea gig of ram and a 9600 gt is well apropriete if you wanna play games at low settings. If your monitor isnt too big. With my previus system I had an pentium 4 and a 7600 gt and 1 gig of ram and I played crysis fine at normal settings

Solution
Not to rub it in I got a 10 year old socket 7 rig and it has more ram than your p4, its so slow it can barely run linux Mint. I suggest you upgrade to at least 1gb which is dirt cheap now days and get a better hard drive even if it is IDE since the controllers and caches are faster on more modern drives. As for the gpu if you want to go dirt cheap then there is no shortage of choices on eBay. Mind you I only shop on eBay.

Yanzir

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Pipes 2009 wrote:

ok..my Monitor isnt really that big... and i am eager to play on lower settings..
and as a result what can u suggest for a GPU which is better and NEWER than the 7600 gt and under $60.
i will try my level best to atleast get my RAM to 1 gig...
keep in mind.. im a low end gamer here..
so no need to suggest a huge overhaul.
and thanks for the boost

pipes2009

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I might be wrong because I am no exppert at pc's ; but well I now have a 9800 gt and it played Gta 4 at low settings with my old system:But a 4850 is way beter and cost less. Also see if you can get a nother gig or 2 of ram that is cheap. I dont know what stuff cost in america I live in Sa so the prices differs a lot. But ask around.

shubham1401

Distinguished

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,669595/GTA-4-PC-CPU-benchmark-review-with-13-processors/Reviews/

Don't blame your 9800GT. You're processor (or something else) is to be blamed. 9800GT can play that game fairly well