3 monitor gaming with 2xGTX 285?

1ManArmy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
The title is pretty much the question: Could I use 2 GeForce GTX 285's with 3 monitors (with or without SLI) and achieve 3-monitor fullscreen gaming, or would I need to bite the bullet and get a TripleHead2Go, a third graphics card, or something else?

Solution
Correct. SLI the cards and plug a 3rd monitor into the 2nd card.
Eyefinity does it the other way. All monitors are plugged into the first card - even if you have a crossfire setup.

I think that's Nvidia quote is more of a marketing plug to push sales of 4xx video cards.
Everything I've seen says GTX 260 and above cards are good to go.

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
I could be dead wrong, but as far as I know, Eyefinity is the only way to play games over 3 monitors as one big image, I do remember hearing that Nvidia was going to do something similar however, and the drivers would allow the last generation 2xx cards to do it as well.

1ManArmy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
@Microterf - I know that Eyefinity is a good solution provided by ATI, but I also know that there are other ways of doing it... You must have recalled what WR2 posted, which seems like the perfect solution, and which i'll get back to...

@Multiscreenz - I fear doing this (TH2G) because the cost is huge, and my monitors are all widescreen, 1080p, which none of Matrox's solutions reach. Furthermore, with two cards, I don't even know if SLI would route the graphics power to the "one huge display", although theoretically it would work fine.

@WR2 - I THOUGHT there was a solution coming from nVidia regarding this, but I wasn't confident enough to suggest it! From my understanding of reading the links you posted, I would SLI the two cards and plug the monitors in 3 of the 4 DVI ports, nothing else needed...

My only concern is with this excerpt from nVidia's website:

Only GeForce GTX 400 GPUs deliver the graphics horsepower needed to power 3x Full HD 1080p 3D displays for an incredible 5760x1080 3D experience (over 750 million pixels/second)

I certainly think that 2 GTX 285's could handle 3 1080p panels! Does that mean for one individual GPU, or will they limit such a resolution to the 400 series? Or perhaps this is the case for 3D displays, and doesn't affect me, since I would be running in 2D?

Correct. SLI the cards and plug a 3rd monitor into the 2nd card.
Eyefinity does it the other way. All monitors are plugged into the first card - even if you have a crossfire setup.

I think that's Nvidia quote is more of a marketing plug to push sales of 4xx video cards.
Everything I've seen says GTX 260 and above cards are good to go.

Solution

1ManArmy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010

Awesome! Well, I look forward to this summer then! Thanks WR2, and everyone else that helped!