Sign in with
Your question

Raid 0 setup

Last response: in Storage
September 9, 2012 9:23:55 PM

I'm setting up a Raid 0 with 2 drives and using a third drive for media files for Adobe Premiere Pro. (Asus Crosshair V w/AMD 8150). Also SSD for OS and Apps. I assumed that I would need the OS loaded and drives partitioned and formatted before I created my Raid, which is what I did. Can I continue creating the array with my OS already loaded? After reading some on-line info it appears you load your OS after you configure the Raid. This is a first build...any advice.

More about : raid setup

a c 88 G Storage
September 9, 2012 9:50:53 PM

ssamps said:
I'm setting up a Raid 0 with 2 drives and using a third drive for media files for Adobe Premiere Pro. (Asus Crosshair V w/AMD 8150). Also SSD for OS and Apps. I assumed that I would need the OS loaded and drives partitioned and formatted before I created my Raid, which is what I did. Can I continue creating the array with my OS already loaded? After reading some on-line info it appears you load your OS after you configure the Raid. This is a first build...any advice.

I'm not too familiar with the AMD Chipset storage controller but I can't imagine that it's significantly different than the Intel chipset storage controller.

If that's the case it doesn't really matter whether you create the array before you install the operating system or after. It is important though that you install the operating system with the storage controller in AHCI mode or firmware RAID mode. On Intel chipsets, firmware RAID mode also enables AHCI so either will work. You just want to avoid IDE mode.

You will also want to ensure that all of your disks, especially the SSD and RAID disks, are attached to the chipset storage controller and not an add-in storage controller from ASMedia or some other company.
m
l
!