HDD/SSD boot priority issues

I'll try an explain this to the best of my abilities and knowledge.

I've got an issue with my computer (cat stepped on keyboard during boot and can't be sure what settings may have changed), all the hardware seems to be in working condition but I can't select my HDD as first boot priority if my SSD is connected. Along with the first issue, my SSD isn't detected when I try to erase/create partitions in the windows 7 installing process.

If I boot up with the windows 7 disk with just my SSD connected, it doesn't show up during the partition step of the installion.
If I boot up from the disk with just my HDD, everything works as it should.
If I boot up with both drives connected, the SSD is the only option (aside from my CD drive) in the boot list but the HDD still shows up in the SATA device list

The SSD basically takes the place of the HDD in the boot list when it's plugged in

I've tried the following:
-Resetting to default bios settings through the interface
-Resetting the bios by removing/replacing the bios battery
-Re-formatting my HDD

Asus M4A89GTD motherboard if that helps
650W OCZ power supply (it's almost certainly not an issue of power)

This computer has been an endless source of frustration for the past 2-3 weeks and I'd really like to just get it working properly again.

So I guess my question is:
Am I just missing something super simple? If not, do you have any suggestions to resolve my issue?

I'll be checking back pretty regularly so if you have any questions/need more details, ask away and I'll respond when able.
3 answers Last reply
More about boot priority issues
  1. Do they all show in disc management?
  2. I can't access windows to launch disc management if both drives are connected.

I tried the "diskpart>list disk" thing and only my HDD shows up (both drives connected)
  3. Any help would be appreciated.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Boot Hard Drives Storage