Sign in with
Your question

HDD not showing up when i open my computer tab

Last response: in Storage
September 9, 2012 11:51:39 PM

ok so i just built my first pc, and i was able to install my os and everything else on my ssd. However my hdd doesn't show up. I connected both drives to the same sata slots on my mobo(sata3 #1 and 2) but when i switched over my hdd to sata2 slot it still wouldnt show up. So im assuming this isnt the problem.

Anyways i have no idea what the problem is and im hoping its something real simple and someone can help me. heres my specs

i5 3570k
gigabyte z77x-ud3h
crucial m4 128gb ssd
Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200RPM 2 TB hdd

any help would be appreciated, thx
July 31, 2013 3:30:10 AM

PapiLouis4 said:
ok so i just built my first pc, and i was able to install my os and everything else on my ssd. However my hdd doesn't show up. I connected both drives to the same sata slots on my mobo(sata3 #1 and 2) but when i switched over my hdd to sata2 slot it still wouldnt show up. So im assuming this isnt the problem.

Anyways i have no idea what the problem is and im hoping its something real simple and someone can help me. heres my specs

i5 3570k
gigabyte z77x-ud3h
crucial m4 128gb ssd
Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200RPM 2 TB hdd

any help would be appreciated, thx

This might be a stupid question have you formatted it? or is there some sort of operation type files on it that might keep it from showing up. I have a little ps3 hard drive that I can't seem to get to show up. I'm thinking its the language the files are written in that keeps it from being recognized as a plain ol' HDD. I just wanna erase it and use it for my server PC Im messing around with, I'm gonna try bios if that doesn't work I suggest maybe clearing cmos and cold booting see if it pops up. Sorry man thats about all I got. Oh one more thing Does it have a drive letter? You might wanna go into disk manager and see if theres a giant unfilled space you might have to assign it a drive letter and format, You might have to check through DOS I suck at DOS been forever since I used it so if its something real deep I hope one of these other guys can help you. Maybe switch sata connectors with your SSD it may be just a faulty plug or another sata plug on your mobo. I hope you have figured it out before I saw your inquiry, good luck if I didn't get you on the right track.
m
l
Related resources
July 31, 2013 3:48:13 AM

from what I've read and someone briefly suggested is check BIOS see if it's showing up there, if it isn't you might have a bum drive, If it is pop your OS dvd in and use that drive to boot first a simpleton way of saying is it looks like your gonna have to install your OS on that disk as well once it formats and finishes you can delete the OS since its on your SSD. Its a long way of going about it but I had a hard enough time geting that much from a friend. Or you could install OS on your HDD, reboot back to BIOS then make sure you boot off your SSD go into disk manager and reformat your HDD since you are safely using your SSD's OS you shouldn't have a problem re-formatting your HDD. It'll give you a warning but don't worry about it because youre not using anything off the HDD anyways. Its a long road but I'm sure it'll get you there.
m
l
a c 379 G Storage
July 31, 2013 4:55:09 AM

Go into disk management and initialize (partition/format) the drive, then it will show up properly.
m
l
!