Sign in with
Your question

Graphic cards for graphic designers

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 1, 2010 8:44:00 PM

Hi there folks !
Looking to buy my wife a new laptop. Most likely Dell Studio 15 (will be hooked up to a monitor).
But I am not sure about a good graphics card - she uses Photoshop CS4, Illustrator and Indesign (sometimes all at once) with some heavy files. The card would never be used for gaming or video editing and such.

Thanks much !

JG
a b U Graphics card
June 1, 2010 9:23:20 PM

Hey Goldenjay,

Since you're getting a laptop, it's very important that you take more time for consideration as you would be unable to replace the GPU in the future if you were unsatisfied with its performance or you wanted to upgrade it at a later date.

However, in general for the Adobe CS4 pack, I would recommend at least a 360M or a 5650. The Dell Studio 15 can only be upgraded to take a 5470 vs something from, say, ibuypower can be upgraded to take a 5650 or something a little more heavy duty. Not to mention you'd get faster RAM at 1333 mhz vs 1066, and lifetime technical support over the phone.

Source: http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Battalion_101_CZ-11_Ultr...
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 1, 2010 9:37:39 PM

borisof007 said:
Hey Goldenjay,

Since you're getting a laptop, it's very important that you take more time for consideration as you would be unable to replace the GPU in the future if you were unsatisfied with its performance or you wanted to upgrade it at a later date.

However, in general for the Adobe CS4 pack, I would recommend at least a 360M or a 5650. The Dell Studio 15 can only be upgraded to take a 5470 vs something from, say, ibuypower can be upgraded to take a 5650 or something a little more heavy duty. Not to mention you'd get faster RAM at 1333 mhz vs 1066, and lifetime technical support over the phone.

Source: http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Battalion_101_CZ-11_Ultr...

Hi borisof007

I appreciate your sound advice, as I myself am not a big pile of knowledge about the subject.
Considering my wife's PC is about 6 years old, I thought that the i5-430M 2.26GHz would be a bit of an improvement. I have seen her work with what she's got now (AMD Athlon 64x2 3800+ 2.01 1GB ram) with CS2 and it's not toooo bad, i'm just trying to get the best value upgrade for her.

I see your point about the graphic's card and I will most definitely look into a better solution.

Thanks Again,

Goldenjay
!