More on this unique fault.

So, after playing a full level of UT, this constant movement 'feature'
isn't permanent. It continues for some time with me applying the opposite
movement at times (so I just stop dead), then just stops, returning full
control to me. Once again though, after some time, my player loses
movement control in some direction. Repeat, wash, rinse.

There's still no signs of any problems. No hints as to when this will
start (and stop). Nor is there any sequence of events that lead to the
start (and stop). It's a totally random occurance. I can't predict when
it'll happen, nor can I say when it'll stop.

I guess UT's finally got me beat.

--
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
57 answers Last reply

    "Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > So, after playing a full level of UT, this constant movement 'feature'
    > isn't permanent. It continues for some time with me applying the opposite
    > movement at times (so I just stop dead), then just stops, returning full
    > control to me. Once again though, after some time, my player loses
    > movement control in some direction. Repeat, wash, rinse.
    >
    > There's still no signs of any problems. No hints as to when this will
    > start (and stop). Nor is there any sequence of events that lead to the
    > start (and stop). It's a totally random occurance. I can't predict when
    > it'll happen, nor can I say when it'll stop.
    >
    > I guess UT's finally got me beat.
    >
    > --
    > R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

    I cant remember if I asked you this question or not, but do you have
    UT2k3/2k4, and if you do, does the same problem happen?

    -HawaiianHobo

    Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com> Blessed us with

    > So, after playing a full level of UT, this constant movement
    > 'feature' isn't permanent. It continues for some time with me
    > applying the opposite movement at times (so I just stop dead),
    > then just stops, returning full control to me. Once again
    > though, after some time, my player loses movement control in
    > some direction. Repeat, wash, rinse.
    >
    > There's still no signs of any problems. No hints as to when this
    > will start (and stop). Nor is there any sequence of events that
    > lead to the start (and stop). It's a totally random occurance. I
    > can't predict when it'll happen, nor can I say when it'll stop.
    >
    > I guess UT's finally got me beat.

    I wouldn't say it's got you beat because you have thumbs remember
    and the game can't beat you without thumbs! <This is JHall drifting
    over into left field again> I would like to ask if you have opened
    your UNREALTOURNAMENT.log file in a text editor? Sorry about the
    all caps but that's the way the name of the file is spelled.
    Sometimes the game will throw these silent little errors when
    things like what you have described happens. Check out the
    log file unless you have already then just disregard this message.
    Also I'm a single cell creature when it comes to Linux and Linux
    might not let the game even make a log I don't know. If you do
    open the log file and find errors post it here unless it's really
    HUGE!

    Red leader I've got your back.

    Not with that pea shooter you don't. Here take
    one of my weapons and please try not to shoot me
    *in the back* with it you dumb bot!

    Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com> Blessed us with

    > So, after playing a full level of UT, this constant movement 'feature'
    > isn't permanent. It continues for some time with me applying the
    > opposite movement at times (so I just stop dead), then just stops,
    > returning full control to me. Once again though, after some time, my
    > player loses movement control in some direction. Repeat, wash, rinse.

    Weirdness galore... have you tried pushing the direction key in which
    you're heading? Like press & release "forward" again if you're going
    that way. Perhaps a second "key released" event will get it un-stuck.

    JHall enlightened us with:
    > I would like to ask if you have opened your UNREALTOURNAMENT.log file
    > in a text editor? Sorry about the all caps but that's the way the
    > name of the file is spelled.

    Heh, on Windows maybe - on Linux it has the friendly
    UnrealTournament.log name ;-)

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

    On 25 Apr 2004 07:41:03 GMT, MeltDown
    <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:

    >Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com> Blessed us with
    >
    >> So, after playing a full level of UT, this constant movement 'feature'
    >> isn't permanent. It continues for some time with me applying the
    >> opposite movement at times (so I just stop dead), then just stops,
    >> returning full control to me. Once again though, after some time, my
    >> player loses movement control in some direction. Repeat, wash, rinse.
    >
    >Weirdness galore... have you tried pushing the direction key in which
    >you're heading? Like press & release "forward" again if you're going
    >that way. Perhaps a second "key released" event will get it un-stuck.
    >
    >JHall enlightened us with:
    >> I would like to ask if you have opened your UNREALTOURNAMENT.log file
    >> in a text editor? Sorry about the all caps but that's the way the
    >> name of the file is spelled.
    >
    >Heh, on Windows maybe - on Linux it has the friendly
    >UnrealTournament.log name ;-)
    >
    >MeltDown

    Has anyone thought that the problem may lie in the keyboard itself?
    I'd take it into the shower and give it a good rinse. Your keys might
    be gummy.

    --
    Everything I believe could be wrong.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    {AGUT}gopostal enlightened us with:
    > Has anyone thought that the problem may lie in the keyboard itself?
    > I'd take it into the shower and give it a good rinse. Your keys might
    > be gummy.

    I'd thought of that too, but since the problem only occurs in UT, I
    didn't think it would be the keyboard. It wouldn't hurt the average
    keyboard to get cleaned, though :)

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On 25 Apr 2004 08:31:10 GMT, MeltDown
    <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:

    >{AGUT}gopostal enlightened us with:
    >> Has anyone thought that the problem may lie in the keyboard itself?
    >> I'd take it into the shower and give it a good rinse. Your keys might
    >> be gummy.
    >
    >I'd thought of that too, but since the problem only occurs in UT, I
    >didn't think it would be the keyboard. It wouldn't hurt the average
    >keyboard to get cleaned, though :)
    >
    >MeltDown

    I've been watching this thread with a lot of interest. I know I have
    nowhere near the knowledge and skills you guys have when it comes to
    computers, but I am simply perplexed at K's problem. I've never heard
    of such a thing, and after googling for a bit on it I can't find even
    a guess.

    --
    Everything I believe could be wrong.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    {AGUT}gopostal enlightened us with:
    > I am simply perplexed at K's problem.

    So am I!

    > I've never heard of such a thing, and after googling for a bit on it I
    > can't find even a guess.

    :(

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Just a random thought, dunno if anyone mentioned this, but do you have
    a joystick or game controller in use? I guess I'm not certain if a
    joystick works with UT under Linux (no entry under the xdrv section),
    since there is no setting to disable it in the INI file, but there IS
    a setting to disable the joystick in the windrv section. If you need
    someone to experiment, I can fire up my UT/Linux install and connect a
    joystick to test.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle
    "Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | So, after playing a full level of UT, this constant movement
    'feature'
    | isn't permanent. It continues for some time with me applying the
    opposite
    | movement at times (so I just stop dead), then just stops, returning
    full
    | control to me. Once again though, after some time, my player loses
    | movement control in some direction. Repeat, wash, rinse.
    |
    | There's still no signs of any problems. No hints as to when this
    will
    | start (and stop). Nor is there any sequence of events that lead to
    the
    | start (and stop). It's a totally random occurance. I can't predict
    when
    | it'll happen, nor can I say when it'll stop.
    |
    | I guess UT's finally got me beat.
    |
    | --
    | R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    The only time I have seen any thing like that was ping related ( A dial up
    modem was going south on me) And at random periods everyone froze and
    glided/skated in what ever direction they were going until the modem caught
    up. Probably no help as its only you that glides along.

    Vis
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    {AGUT}gopostal <agutgopostal@REMOVEhotmail.com> Blessed us with

    > I've been watching this thread with a lot of interest. I know I
    > have nowhere near the knowledge and skills you guys have when it
    > comes to computers, but I am simply perplexed at K's problem.

    Knowledge? Ha! In computers NOT. In UT maybe. At least that's
    my story and I'm stickin to it. :-)

    > I've never heard of such a thing, and after googling for a bit
    > on it I can't find even a guess.

    Don't feel bad I've been Googling it for two days without a shred
    of this kind of problem to be found anywhere. I seem to remember
    reading it somewhere (on the Atari forums I think) about the player
    either freezing for a bit and/or jumping around uncontrollably.
    I wonder if the problem can be related? Of course if you browse
    the support section of Atari there is no support that I can find
    for the Linux platform. :-C It only says if your OS is not listed
    to choose an OS that is most closely related but I clueless as to
    which Windose (I didn't spell that right did I?) version is the
    closest to Linux. Another thing to consider that I have seen by
    reading this group is the fact that UT seems to be very sensitive
    to the *input* devices connected to it such as Logitech cordless
    mice and keyboards (the free ones) and UT GOTY!. Could be another
    type of *input* bug is what I'm suspecting.

    Red leader I've got your back.

    Not with that pea shooter you don't. Here take
    one of my weapons and please try not to shoot me
    *in the back* with it you dumb bot!
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    "Visine" <Visinenot@btinternet.com> Blessed us with

    > The only time I have seen any thing like that was ping related (
    > A dial up modem was going south on me) And at random periods
    > everyone froze and glided/skated in what ever direction they
    > were going until the modem caught up. Probably no help as its
    > only you that glides along.

    That seems sort of like the packet loss problem where you walk about
    30 feet down a hallway and BAM! you suddenly find yourself back
    where you started going into that hallway and a bot/someone with a
    gun to your temple going Blam Blam Blam!. Only your version would
    be client based and would definitely have people sliding/moonwalking
    along!

    Red leader I've got your back.

    Not with that pea shooter you don't. Here take
    one of my weapons and please try not to shoot me
    *in the back* with it you dumb bot!
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 16:54:04 -0700, HawaiianHobo wrote:

    > I cant remember if I asked you this question or not, but do you have
    > UT2k3/2k4, and if you do, does the same problem happen?
    >
    > -HawaiianHobo

    No other game has this fault.

    --
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On 25 Apr 2004 07:41:03 GMT, MeltDown wrote:

    > Weirdness galore... have you tried pushing the direction key in which
    > you're heading? Like press & release "forward" again if you're going
    > that way. Perhaps a second "key released" event will get it un-stuck.

    Tried it. No difference.

    --
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 04:27:06 -0400, {AGUT}gopostal wrote:

    > Has anyone thought that the problem may lie in the keyboard itself?
    > I'd take it into the shower and give it a good rinse. Your keys might
    > be gummy.

    Hmm... you're suggesting a sticky keyboard...? ;)

    If that was the case, then the same problem would occur outside of UT
    itself... particularly in terminal windows.

    The other problem is, I mainly use the mouse buttons for forward/backward
    movement, so it's not a 'feature' that's limited to the keyboard. But it's
    unique in that no other game/application on this installation has this
    problem.

    --
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Are you using a USB keyboard? If so could it be that the USB is busy doing
    other things and lagging your keyboard. Failing that what happens if you
    use a different keyboard connection to what you have now? USB or normal

    Vis
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 06:40:31 -0400, {AGUT}gopostal wrote:

    > I've been watching this thread with a lot of interest. I know I have
    > nowhere near the knowledge and skills you guys have when it comes to
    > computers, but I am simply perplexed at K's problem. I've never heard
    > of such a thing, and after googling for a bit on it I can't find even
    > a guess.

    To me, it all points to a fault of UT's method of reading inputs
    (keyboard/mouse/joystick(?)), especially now I know the problem vanishes
    after a time. It also vanishes upon mapchange.

    --
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On 25 Apr 2004 11:08:05 GMT, JHall wrote:

    > It only says if your OS is not listed to choose an OS that is most
    > closely related but I clueless as to which Windose (I didn't spell that
    > right did I?) version is the closest to Linux.

    Well, if it's any consolation, I installed UT off my original non-GOTY
    CD's using the Loki 436 UT installer.

    > Another thing to consider that I have seen by reading this group is the
    > fact that UT seems to be very sensitive to the *input* devices connected
    > to it such as Logitech cordless mice and keyboards (the free ones) and
    > UT GOTY!.

    UT's sensitive to a number of things. Remember how it cries if the PC's
    being overclocked?

    > Could be another type of *input* bug is what I'm suspecting.

    Yep, same here.

    --
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 12:41:34 +0000 (UTC), Visine wrote:

    > Are you using a USB keyboard?

    It's a Logitech Internet Navigator. It's primarily a USB connector, but I
    had it plugged into the PS/2 socket via its USB-PS/2 convertor.

    > If so could it be that the USB is busy doing other things and lagging
    > your keyboard.

    That's a possibility.

    > Failing that what happens if you use a different keyboard connection to
    > what you have now?

    There were so many alterations I had to do, the last time I changed from
    PS/2 to USB, you'd not believe it. The "End" key stopped functioning, so
    that was coaxed back into life, 'lineakd' decided it'll not play with the
    USB version of the keyboard, so 'lineakd' was upgraded... only for the
    "End" key to fail again, etc.

    Sod it. Stick it back onto PS/2 again. It worked flawlessly that way.

    But again, if it were a fault with the keyboard (or
    $SOFTWARE_TO_READ_KEYB), the same problem would occur beyond UT, which it
    doesn't.

    --
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Mr K enlightened us with:
    > It's a Logitech Internet Navigator. It's primarily a USB connector,
    > but I had it plugged into the PS/2 socket via its USB-PS/2 convertor.

    Should work - I have the exact same setup :)

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> Blessed us
    with news:slrnc8netm.rsq.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com:

    > Mr K enlightened us with:
    >> It's a Logitech Internet Navigator. It's primarily a USB
    >> connector, but I had it plugged into the PS/2 socket via its
    >> USB-PS/2 convertor.
    >
    > Should work - I have the exact same setup :)
    >
    > MeltDown

    Yeah but you are using Gentoo and I believe Mr.K is using
    Mandrake could there be something different with those two
    distros? Also [Off Topic] I read somewhere just the other
    day that just about all of the Linux distros can be downloaded
    for free from the internet is that true? Just curious.

    Red leader I've got your back.

    Not with that pea shooter you don't. Here take
    one of my weapons and please try not to shoot me
    *in the back* with it you dumb bot!
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    JHall enlightened us with:
    > Yeah but you are using Gentoo and I believe Mr.K is using
    > Mandrake could there be something different with those two
    > distros?

    I doubt it. UT is not compiled from source by us, so we all have the
    same binary.

    > Also [Off Topic] I read somewhere just the other day that just about
    > all of the Linux distros can be downloaded for free from the internet
    > is that true? Just curious.

    Yep, that's true. Some people think Linux users don't want to pay for
    anything. The truth is we don't have to.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    JHall enlightened us with:
    > The next time I ever have to reinstall Windows for any reason
    > NOPE it's Linux that's going in!!!!. I am considering Suse or
    > RedHat or Mandrake. Gentoo is also a very likely candidate. There
    > is also Peanut Linux that comes loaded with KDE 3.1.

    Gentoo has KDE 3.2 :)

    Contact me on Jabber/ICQ/MSN and we'll chat there. I don't mind
    discussing Linux here every now and then, but let's keep UT the main
    topic of this group ;-)

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On 25 Apr 2004 13:23:01 GMT, MeltDown wrote:

    > Should work - I have the exact same setup :)
    >
    > MeltDown

    Should, but too much agro for just one game.

    --
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On 25 Apr 2004 13:36:08 GMT, JHall wrote:

    > Also [Off Topic] I read somewhere just the other day that just about all
    > of the Linux distros can be downloaded for free from the internet is
    > that true? Just curious.

    Visit:
    http://www.linuxiso.org/index.php

    If it's there, it can be downloaded. Finding older distros might need a
    little more work though.

    --
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    > Visit: http://www.linuxiso.org/index.php
    >
    > If it's there, it can be downloaded. Finding older distros might
    > need a little more work though.

    Thanks for that link! :-) Added to my favorites! Really easy
    navigating there. Here are a couple of other places I've been
    checking out and you may be interested in as well.

    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/

    http://www.distrowatch.com/

    Red leader I've got your back.

    Not with that pea shooter you don't. Here take
    one of my weapons and please try not to shoot me
    *in the back* with it you dumb bot!
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    I'm just about out of ideas Mr K.

    One last question I'm an electronics engineer and when odd things start
    happening I always look at the very last thing I did before the unexplained
    starts happening. A driver install? a new piece of hardware? A new piece of
    software? What was the last thing you did before you found the snag
    appeared? You probably already done it but even the best can miss the
    obvious.

    Best of luck

    Vis
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On 25 Apr 2004 13:46:22 GMT, MeltDown wrote:

    > I doubt it. UT is not compiled from source by us, so we all have the
    > same binary.

    .... but not the same version of software. There are subtle differences in
    the various distros.

    --
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On 25 Apr 2004 14:25:48 GMT, MeltDown wrote:

    > Gentoo has KDE 3.2 :)

    Huh... so does MDK10. :)

    > Contact me on Jabber/ICQ/MSN

    (A)MSN? You might want to add the email in this reply to your list. Bear
    in mind though, if I don't recognise the email address, I'll not hesitate
    to block the messages. :)

    > and we'll chat there. I don't mind discussing Linux here every now and
    > then, but let's keep UT the main topic of this group ;-)

    Seconded.

    --
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On 25 Apr 2004 14:36:23 GMT, JHall wrote:

    > Thanks for that link! :-) Added to my favorites! Really easy
    > navigating there. Here are a couple of other places I've been
    > checking out and you may be interested in as well.
    >
    > http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/

    Interesting URL. Thanks, it's bookmarked.

    > http://www.distrowatch.com/

    Yep, that's a handy one for checking up on what software runs on what
    distro (and what version), especially when you bugger up a core file or
    two... *cough*.

    (What? A Linux user making a mistake?? Blasphemy!! Castrate him!!!)

    --
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:54:38 +0000 (UTC), Visine wrote:

    > I'm just about out of ideas Mr K.

    It's seriously got me beaten.

    > One last question I'm an electronics engineer and when odd things start
    > happening I always look at the very last thing I did before the unexplained
    > starts happening. A driver install? a new piece of hardware? A new piece of
    > software? What was the last thing you did before you found the snag
    > appeared?

    Lemme think... I installed Linux... replaced my Logitech Mouseman mouse
    with an MX700... replaced my Micro$oft ergo keyboard with a Logitech
    Internet Navigator keyboard.

    Reverting to Windows is not an option. :)

    > You probably already done it but even the best can miss the
    > obvious.

    Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best.

    > Best of luck

    Thanks for the help, but as I've already said... UT's got me beaten.

    Ah well, back to Simcity 3000 and wreaking havoc on my minions. :D

    --
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 11:02:50 -0500, Kylesb wrote:

    > Just a random thought, dunno if anyone mentioned this, but do you have
    > a joystick or game controller in use?

    Nope. No joysticks or game controllers in use, other than the mouse and
    keyboard.

    > I guess I'm not certain if a joystick works with UT under Linux (no
    > entry under the xdrv section), since there is no setting to disable it
    > in the INI file, but there IS a setting to disable the joystick in the
    > windrv section. If you need someone to experiment, I can fire up my
    > UT/Linux install and connect a joystick to test.

    Thanks, but I'm going to conceed defeat on this one.

    --
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    > Lemme think... I installed Linux... replaced my Logitech
    > Mouseman mouse with an MX700... replaced my Micro$oft ergo
    > keyboard with a Logitech Internet Navigator keyboard.

    You did all of this at the same time? or some of it here and
    some of it there?

    > Reverting to Windows is not an option. :)

    I hear ya there dood3!

    >> You probably already done it but even the best can miss the
    >> obvious.
    >
    > Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best.

    Wow! now this looks like it has a nice spot in my sig! Can I
    use this? That's profound man!

    >> Best of luck
    >
    > Thanks for the help, but as I've already said... UT's got me
    > beaten.

    <:-( And I was hoping you could join us and hunt me (the big game)
    down and frag my ass royal whenever we get a fragfest going!

    > Ah well, back to Simcity 3000 and wreaking havoc on my minions.
    > :D

    WWhoa! you play that game too? Is it cool or what? I've got some
    game save files around here somewhere that you'd probably be
    interested in!. ;)

    Red leader I've got your back.

    Not with that pea shooter you don't. Here take
    one of my weapons and please try not to shoot me
    *in the back* with it you dumb bot!
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On 25 Apr 2004 18:03:54 GMT, JHall wrote:

    > Thanks for the input! :-D

    Np's.

    > Well there's also Vector which is small and fast! There are so
    > many to choose from!. Way more versions than Windose!

    And, just to make life easier, there's live distros. These run straight
    off the CD and don't need to be installed onto the HDD's. These make
    perfect demonstrating/testing/fault finding distros.

    > Whoa! the Quake vs UT war seems better :o but like MeltDown said
    > in a previous post it's off topic and how does it help you with
    > your persistent direction problem?

    It doesn't help at all, but having tried everything possible (other than
    a reinstall of $OPERATING_SYSTEM) there's little else to do. ;)

    ><Me scratches head in wonder still debating what could be wrong!>

    Don't worry about it. UT's known to be fussy. It's probably some unforseen
    hardware incompatability that only UT kicks up about.

    --
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 23:15:55 +0100, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >So, after playing a full level of UT, this constant movement 'feature'
    >isn't permanent. It continues for some time with me applying the opposite
    >movement at times (so I just stop dead), then just stops, returning full
    >control to me. Once again though, after some time, my player loses
    >movement control in some direction. Repeat, wash, rinse.
    >
    >There's still no signs of any problems. No hints as to when this will
    >start (and stop). Nor is there any sequence of events that lead to the
    >start (and stop). It's a totally random occurance. I can't predict when
    >it'll happen, nor can I say when it'll stop.
    >
    >I guess UT's finally got me beat.

    Switch to Windows. ;-)
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    I have what sounds like a similar annoying problem. If I take
    my hands off the controls (optical mouse and joystick the
    picture drifts towards the top right hand corner of the screen.
    This means that the aim point for the weapons slowly drifts
    down towards the floor and I am constantly having to bring
    it back on target.

    The above does not happen with any other Unreal game on
    the same computer (including the original UT).

    I am running UT 2004 on Windows 98 SE.

    I have tried unchecking mouse smoothing and reduced the
    mouse sensitivity but with no joy. Anything I can try? Thanks.

    wrote:

    >So, after playing a full level of UT, this constant movement 'feature'
    >isn't permanent. It continues for some time with me applying the opposite
    >movement at times (so I just stop dead), then just stops, returning full
    >control to me. Once again though, after some time, my player loses
    >movement control in some direction. Repeat, wash, rinse.
    >
    >There's still no signs of any problems. No hints as to when this will
    >start (and stop). Nor is there any sequence of events that lead to the
    >start (and stop). It's a totally random occurance. I can't predict when
    >it'll happen, nor can I say when it'll stop.
    >
    >I guess UT's finally got me beat.
  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Majnon <majnon@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >my hands off the controls (optical mouse and joystick the
    >picture drifts towards the top right hand corner of the screen.

    See if the JoySlider{1,2} axes in user.ini are commented out. Also,
    maybe play with your DeadZone settings?

    --
    William Smith
  37. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:17:18 -0400, Folk wrote:

    > Switch to Windows. ;-)

    *slap*

    ;)

    --
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
  38. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Majnon <majnon@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > I have tried unchecking mouse smoothing and reduced the
    > mouse sensitivity but with no joy. Anything I can try? Thanks.

    It shouldn't matter, but have you tried recalibrating your joystick?

    --
    Andrew Timson
    ==============================

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 22:47:16 -0400, in alt.games.unreal.tournament you
    wrote:

    >Majnon <majnon@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>my hands off the controls (optical mouse and joystick the
    >>picture drifts towards the top right hand corner of the screen.
    >
    >See if the JoySlider{1,2} axes in user.ini are commented out. Also,
    >maybe play with your DeadZone settings?

    I commented out the only line I could find with JoySlider in it and
    that made no difference. I have second JoySlider line labeled 2
    and that is empty.

    I am using a Sidewinder jstick and I find I can change the direction
    of drift by moving the throttle back and forth (goes from diagonal to
    horizontal). The speed of drift remains the same.

    Thanks for the help.
  40. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 02:11:36 GMT, Andrew Timson
    <arsenicman33@deletethissectionhotmail.com> wrote:

    >Majnon <majnon@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    >> I have tried unchecking mouse smoothing and reduced the
    >> mouse sensitivity but with no joy. Anything I can try? Thanks.
    >
    >It shouldn't matter, but have you tried recalibrating your joystick?

    I have tried it several times and it works fine in the original UT.
    See my other reply in this thread. Thanks for the help.
  41. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Majnon <majnon@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >>See if the JoySlider{1,2} axes in user.ini are commented out. Also,
    >>maybe play with your DeadZone settings?

    >I commented out the only line I could find with JoySlider in it and
    >that made no difference. I have second JoySlider line labeled 2
    >and that is empty.

    Is that second line commented out as well?

    --
    William Smith
  42. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:32:01 -0400, William P.N. Smith <> wrote:

    >Majnon <majnon@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>>See if the JoySlider{1,2} axes in user.ini are commented out. Also,
    >>>maybe play with your DeadZone settings?
    >
    >>I commented out the only line I could find with JoySlider in it and
    >>that made no difference. I have second JoySlider line labeled 2
    >>and that is empty.
    >
    >Is that second line commented out as well?

    It is now. With both lines commented out the picture still drifts,
    but no longer diagonally. It is now as though I am standing
    still with the scene rotating around me in a horizontal fashion.
    Also the jstick throttle no longer has any effect.
  43. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Majnon <majnon@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >>>I commented out the only line I could find with JoySlider in it and
    >>>that made no difference. I have second JoySlider line labeled 2
    >>>and that is empty.
    >>
    >>Is that second line commented out as well?
    >
    >It is now. With both lines commented out the picture still drifts,
    >but no longer diagonally. It is now as though I am standing
    >still with the scene rotating around me in a horizontal fashion.
    >Also the jstick throttle no longer has any effect.

    OK, we're making some progress. Does the view rotate when you twist
    the joystick? What do the applicable lines in user.ini look like?

    --
    William Smith
  44. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:54:46 -0400, in alt.games.unreal.tournament you
    wrote:

    >Majnon <majnon@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >>>Is that second line commented out as well?
    >>
    >>It is now. With both lines commented out the picture still drifts,
    >>but no longer diagonally. It is now as though I am standing
    >>still with the scene rotating around me in a horizontal fashion.
    >>Also the jstick throttle no longer has any effect.
    >
    >OK, we're making some progress. Does the view rotate when you twist
    >the joystick? What do the applicable lines in user.ini look like?

    I'm not sure I understand the question, but here goes. I can go
    forward; backward and pan left or right with my jstick. If I want
    to rotate the view I use my mouse (jstick in right hand; mouse in
    left hand). The mouse is optical, but not radio.

    Which applicable lines should I be looking for? I will copy and
    post the complete content of user.ini if that will help.
  45. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Majnon <majnon@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >I'm not sure I understand the question, but here goes. I can go
    >forward; backward and pan left or right with my jstick.

    You said you are using a SideWinder Joystick, what exact model of SW
    Joystick do you have? What does it say on the sticker on the bottom
    of the joystick? Does it have a twist axis? What happens if you grab
    the handle and twist it?

    Post the group of lines from user.ini that starts with JOY16 and ends
    with UnknownF5=

    --
    William Smith
  46. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:06:54 -0400, William P.N. Smith <> wrote:

    >Majnon <majnon@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>I'm not sure I understand the question, but here goes. I can go
    >>forward; backward and pan left or right with my jstick.
    >
    >You said you are using a SideWinder Joystick, what exact model of SW
    >Joystick do you have?

    It's probably the most basic. Couldn't make up my mind which to
    get at the time so I went for the most basic.

    >What does it say on the sticker on the bottom
    >of the joystick?

    Product Id: 52892-764-5404537-00000
    S/N: 9262600540453

    >Does it have a twist axis? What happens if you grab
    >the handle and twist it?

    Nothing. It does not twist.

    >Post the group of lines from user.ini that starts with JOY16 and ends
    >with UnknownF5=

    Here we go (I went a bit further to include the JoySlider lines):

    UnknownF5=
    UnknownF4=
    Unknown10F=
    Unknown10E=
    MouseW=
    UnknownE3=
    UnknownE2=
    UnknownE1=
    UnknownE0=
    UnknownDF=
    UnknownDA=
    UnknownD9=
    UnknownD8=
    UnknownC7=
    UnknownC6=
    Mouse8=
    Mouse7=
    Mouse6=
    Mouse5=
    Mouse4=
    Unicode=
    UnknownB8=
    UnknownB7=
    UnknownB6=
    UnknownB5=
    UnknownB4=
    UnknownB3=
    UnknownB2=
    UnknownB1=
    UnknownB0=
    UnknownAF=
    UnknownAE=
    UnknownAD=
    UnknownAC=
    UnknownAB=
    UnknownAA=
    UnknownA9=
    UnknownA8=
    UnknownA7=
    UnknownA6=
    UnknownA5=
    UnknownA4=
    Unknown9F=
    Unknown9E=
    Unknown9D=
    Unknown9C=
    Unknown9B=
    Unknown9A=
    Unknown99=
    Unknown98=
    Unknown97=
    Unknown96=
    Unknown95=
    Unknown94=
    Unknown93=
    Unknown92=
    Unknown8F=
    Unknown8E=
    Unknown8D=
    Unknown8C=
    Unknown8B=
    Unknown8A=
    Unknown89=
    Unknown88=
    NumPad6=
    NumPad5=
    NumPad4=
    NumPad3=
    NumPad2=
    NumPad1=
    NumPad0=
    Unknown5F=
    Unknown5E=
    Unknown5D=
    Unknown5C=
    Unknown5B=
    Unknown40=
    Unknown3F=
    Unknown3E=
    Unknown3D=
    Unknown3C=
    Unknown3B=
    Unknown3A=
    Unknown1F=
    Unknown1E=
    Unknown1D=
    Unknown1C=
    Unknown1A=
    Unknown19=
    Unknown18=
    Unknown17=
    Unknown16=
    Unknown15=
    Unknown0F=
    Unknown0E=
    Unknown0C=
    Unknown0B=
    Unknown0A=
    Unknown07=
    Unknown06=
    Unknown05=
    StrProperty0=
    Aliases[0]=(Command="Button bFire | Fire",Alias="Fire")
    Aliases[1]=(Command="Button bAltFire | AltFire",Alias="AltFire")
    Aliases[2]=(Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=+300.0",Alias="MoveForward")
    Aliases[3]=(Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=-300.0",Alias="MoveBackward")
    Aliases[4]=(Command="Axis aBaseX Speed=-40.0",Alias="TurnLeft")
    Aliases[5]=(Command="Axis aBaseX Speed=+40.0",Alias="TurnRight")
    Aliases[6]=(Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=-300.0",Alias="StrafeLeft")
    Aliases[7]=(Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=+300.0",Alias="StrafeRight")
    Aliases[8]=(Command="Jump | Axis aUp Speed=+300.0",Alias="Jump")
    Aliases[9]=(Command="Button bDuck | Axis aUp
    Speed=-300.0",Alias="Duck")
    Aliases[10]=(Command="Button bLook",Alias="look")
    Aliases[11]=(Command="Toggle bLook",Alias="LookToggle")
    Aliases[12]=(Command="ActivateItem",Alias="InventoryActivate")
    Aliases[13]=(Command="NextItem",Alias="InventoryNext")
    Aliases[14]=(Command="PrevItem",Alias="InventoryPrevious")
    Aliases[15]=(Command="Axis aLookUp Speed=+25.0",Alias="LookUp")
    Aliases[16]=(Command="Axis aLookUp Speed=-25.0",Alias="LookDown")
    Aliases[17]=(Command="Button bSnapLevel",Alias="CenterView")
    Aliases[18]=(Command="Button bRun",Alias="Walking")
    Aliases[19]=(Command="Button bStrafe",Alias="Strafe")
    Aliases[20]=(Command="NextWeapon",Alias="NextWeapon")
    Aliases[21]=(Command="Button bFreeLook",Alias="FreeLook")
    Aliases[22]=(Command="ViewClass Pawn",Alias="ViewTeam")
    Aliases[23]=(Command="Button bTurnToNearest",Alias="TurnToNearest")
    Aliases[24]=(Command="Button bTurn180",Alias="Turn180")
    Aliases[25]=(Command="ShowScores|OnRelease
    ShowScores",Alias="ScoreToggle")
    Aliases[26]=(Command="InGameChat",Alias="IngameChat")
    Aliases[27]=(Command="ServerInfo",Alias="ServerInfo")
    Aliases[28]=(Command="Button bVoiceTalk",Alias="VoiceTalk")
    Aliases[29]=(Command="Speak Team|Button bVoiceTalk|OnRelease
    SpeakLast",Alias="ToggleTeamChat")
    Aliases[30]=(Command="Speak Local|Button bVoiceTalk|OnRelease
    SpeakLast",Alias="ToggleLocalChat")
    Aliases[31]=(Command="Speak Public|Button bVoiceTalk|OnRelease
    SpeakLast",Alias="TogglePublicChat")
    Aliases[32]=(Command="Axis aBaseX SpeedBase=100.0
    DeadZone=0.1",Alias="SpaceFighter_JoyX")
    Aliases[33]=(Command="Axis aLookUp SpeedBase=100.0
    DeadZone=0.1",Alias="SpaceFighter_JoyY")
    Aliases[34]=(Command="Axis aUp Speed=+300.0 | Axis aStrafe
    SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.1",Alias="SpaceFighter_JoyV")
    Aliases[35]=(Command="Axis aBaseY SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.1
    Invert=-1",Alias="SpaceFighter_JoySlider1")
    Aliases[36]=(Command=,Alias=)
    Aliases[37]=(Command=,Alias=)
    Aliases[38]=(Command=,Alias=)
    Aliases[39]=(Command=,Alias=)
    0=SwitchWeapon 0
    1=SwitchWeapon 1
    2=SwitchWeapon 2
    3=SwitchWeapon 3
    4=SwitchWeapon 4
    5=SwitchWeapon 5
    6=SwitchWeapon 6
    7=SwitchWeapon 7
    8=SwitchWeapon 8
    9=SwitchWeapon 9
    F1=ShowScores
    F2=InGameChat
    F3=ShowStats
    F4=ToggleBehindView
    F5=ToggleFreeCam
    F6=Stat Net
    F7=ToggleFreeCamSwivel
    F8=NextStats
    F9=shot
    F10=Cancel
    F11=MusicMenu
    F12=ToggleRadarMap
    F13=
    F14=
    F15=
    F16=
    F17=
    F18=
    F19=
    F20=
    F21=
    F22=
    F23=
    F24=AltFire
    A=StrafeLeft
    B=SwitchToLastWeapon
    C=Duck
    D=StrafeRight
    E=Use
    F=VoiceTalk
    G=SwitchToBestWeapon
    H=
    I=ToggleTeamChat
    j=Taunt pthrust
    K=Taunt asssmack
    L=Taunt throatcut
    M=BasePath 0
    N=BasePath 1
    O=ToggleLocalChat
    P=TogglePublicChat
    Q=SwitchWeapon 10
    R=TeamTalk
    S=MoveBackward
    T=Talk
    U=Use
    V=SpeechMenuToggle
    W=MoveForward
    X=ShowVoteMenu
    Y=writetolog
    Z=Strafe
    Alt=
    Attn=
    Backslash=ThrowWeapon
    Backspace=Jump
    Cancel=
    CapsLock=LookToggle
    Comma=StrafeLeft
    CrSel=
    Ctrl=Jump
    Delete=LookUp
    Down=MoveBackward
    End=CenterView|ACTOR ALIGN SNAPTOFLOOR ALIGN=1
    Enter=Use
    Equals=GrowHUD
    Escape=ShowMenu
    ErEof=
    Execute=
    ExSel=
    GreySlash=
    GreyStar=
    GreyMinus=
    GreyPlus=
    Help=
    home=
    Insert=
    LControl=
    Left=StrafeLeft
    LeftBracket=InventoryPrevious
    LShift=
    Minus=ShrinkHUD
    NoName=
    None=
    OemClear=
    PA1=
    PageDown=LookDown
    PageUp=
    Pause=Pause
    Period=StrafeRight
    Play=
    Print=
    PrintScrn=
    RControl=
    Right=StrafeRight
    RightBracket=InventoryNext
    RShift=
    ScrollLock=
    Select=
    Semicolon=Taunt gesture_point
    Separator=
    Shift=Duck
    SingleQuote=Strafe
    Slash=NextWeapon
    Space=Jump
    Tab=Type
    Tilde=ConsoleToggle
    Up=MoveForward
    Zoom=
    LeftMouse=AltFire
    MiddleMouse=MoveForward
    RightMouse=
    MouseWheelDown=NextWeapon
    MouseWheelUp=PrevWeapon
    MouseX=Count bXAxis | Axis aMouseX Speed=2.0
    MouseY=Count bYAxis | Axis aMouseY Speed=2.0
    MouseZ=
    NumLock=
    NumPad7=StrafeLeft
    NumPad8=MoveForward
    NumPad9=StrafeRight
    NumPadPeriod=
    Joy1=Fire
    Joy2=Jump
    Joy3=
    Joy4=Duck
    Joy5=NextWeapon
    Joy6=SwitchWeapon 2
    Joy7=SwitchWeapon 3
    Joy8=SwitchWeapon 4
    Joy9=SwitchWeapon 9
    Joy10=SwitchWeapon 0
    Joy11=InventoryPrevious
    Joy12=InventoryActivate
    Joy13=MoveForward
    Joy14=StrafeRight
    Joy15=MoveBackward
    Joy16=StrafeLeft
    JoyX=Axis aStrafe SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.1
    JoyY=Axis aBaseY SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.1 Invert=-1
    JoyZ=
    JoyR=
    JoyU=
    JoyV=Axis aBaseX SpeedBase=2.0 DeadZone=0.4
    ; JoySlider1=Axis aLookUp SpeedBase=2.0 DeadZone=0.4
    ; JoySlider2=
  47. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    I have played all Unreal versions with a joystick, the default settings
    aren't good. I also use MS sidewinder, I highly suggest installing their
    software.
    Here are my config settings from UT 2004 (demo)
    Please note: I use the x axis to "turn" not "side to side", (I use mouse to
    side to side move and look up and down) so if you don't like that don't copy
    that setting. You cannot use 3 axes in Unreal games, you must only set an x
    and a y or it will spin around the room.
    I have been told it's stupid to use the joystick by most players of Unreal,
    but I have used it since quake 1 and do just fine. Been in winning ctf
    clans, expert sniper, etc.

    LeftMouse=StrafeLeft
    MiddleMouse=transjump (bind for teleport toggle,
    Aliases[32]=(Command="SwitchWeapon 10 | Button bFire | OnRelease Button
    bAltFire",Alias="Transjump"))
    RightMouse=StrafeRight
    MouseWheelDown=use
    MouseWheelUp=use
    MouseX=Count bXAxis | Axis aMouseX Speed=2.0
    MouseY=Count bYAxis | Axis aMouseY Speed=2.0
    MouseZ=
    NumLock=
    NumPad0=speech TAUNT 4
    NumPad1=set playercontroller bZeroRoll False|set playercontroller rotation
    (pitch=0,yaw=32768,roll=-16384)
    NumPad2=set playercontroller bZeroRoll False|set playercontroller rotation
    (pitch=0,yaw=16384,roll=32768)
    NumPad3=set playercontroller bZeroRoll False|set playercontroller rotation
    (pitch=0,yaw=-16384,roll=0)
    NumPad4=set playercontroller bZeroRoll False|set playercontroller rotation
    (pitch=16384,yaw=0,roll=16384)
    NumPad5=speech FRIENDLYFIRE 1
    NumPad6=speech FRIENDLYFIRE 0
    NumPad7=speech OTHER 31
    NumPad8=MoveForward
    NumPad9=StrafeRight
    NumPadPeriod=
    Joy1=Fire
    Joy2=AltFire
    Joy3=SwitchToBestWeapon
    Joy4=PrevWeapon
    Joy5=basepath 1
    Joy6=SwitchWeapon 2
    Joy7=SwitchWeapon 3
    Joy8=basepath 0
    Joy9=SwitchWeapon 9
    Joy10=SwitchWeapon 9 | Switchweapon 8 | Switchweapon 4
    Joy11=InventoryPrevious
    Joy12=InventoryActivate
    Joy13=SwitchWeapon 9 | Switchweapon 8 | Switchweapon 4
    Joy14=VoiceTalk
    Joy15=speech ACK 0
    Joy16=VoiceTalk
    JoyX=Axis aBaseX SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.1
    JoyY=Axis aBaseY SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.1 Invert=-1
    JoyZ=
    JoyR=
    JoyU=
    JoyV=
    JoySlider1=
    JoySlider2=

    "Majnon" <majnon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > Joy2=Jump
    > Joy3=
    > Joy4=Duck
    > Joy5=NextWeapon
    > Joy6=SwitchWeapon 2
    > Joy7=SwitchWeapon 3
    > Joy8=SwitchWeapon 4
    > Joy9=SwitchWeapon 9
    > Joy10=SwitchWeapon 0
    > Joy11=InventoryPrevious
    > Joy12=InventoryActivate
    > Joy13=MoveForward
    > Joy14=StrafeRight
    > Joy15=MoveBackward
    > Joy16=StrafeLeft
    > JoyX=Axis aStrafe SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.1
    > JoyY=Axis aBaseY SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.1 Invert=-1
    > JoyZ=
    > JoyR=
    > JoyU=
    > JoyV=Axis aBaseX SpeedBase=2.0 DeadZone=0.4
    > ; JoySlider1=Axis aLookUp SpeedBase=2.0 DeadZone=0.4
  48. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Majnon <majnon@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >JoyX=Axis aStrafe SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.1
    >JoyY=Axis aBaseY SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.1 Invert=-1
    >JoyZ=
    >JoyR=
    >JoyU=
    >JoyV=Axis aBaseX SpeedBase=2.0 DeadZone=0.4
    >; JoySlider1=Axis aLookUp SpeedBase=2.0 DeadZone=0.4
    >; JoySlider2=

    Well, there's your problem, you've got the V axis of your joystick
    (which probably doesn't exist, but returns a number when polled)
    mapped to aBaseX, which IIRC is the "turn" axis. Try commenting out
    that line.

    --
    William Smith
  49. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:56:07 -0400, William P.N. Smith <> wrote:

    >Majnon <majnon@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>JoyX=Axis aStrafe SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.1
    >>JoyY=Axis aBaseY SpeedBase=300.0 DeadZone=0.1 Invert=-1
    >>JoyZ=
    >>JoyR=
    >>JoyU=
    >>JoyV=Axis aBaseX SpeedBase=2.0 DeadZone=0.4
    >>; JoySlider1=Axis aLookUp SpeedBase=2.0 DeadZone=0.4
    >>; JoySlider2=
    >
    >Well, there's your problem, you've got the V axis of your joystick
    >(which probably doesn't exist, but returns a number when polled)
    >mapped to aBaseX, which IIRC is the "turn" axis. Try commenting out
    >that line.

    It's fixed. Thank you very much.

    I must admit that the contents of user.ini do not mean a lot to me.
    Don't suppose you know of an on-line tutorial?

Games Video Games