Sign in with
Your question

How do I overclock this CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
September 8, 2010 2:53:06 AM

Hey guys, I have an Dell Inspiron 546 St Slim model computer with a phenom x3 tri core processor clocked at 2.1 ghz. It runs World of Warcraft pretty decent but I think I could overclock it a bit and squeeze some more fps out of it but I have never overclocked before.

I don't know if it matters, but my PSU is a 250 watt with a 12V rating of 17A. I tried AMD's overdrive but the auto overclock function is greyed out and I assume non compatible with the computer's hardware.

Can anyone help me squeeze out some more performance out of this computer? I have been through the blue screen bios or w/e and it shows nothing about overclocking, to my knowledge, but I am a noob..

Please help, thanks. :) 

More about : overclock cpu

September 8, 2010 3:04:40 AM

Chances are that you won't be able to oc at all. One because it's a prebuilt so the bios is locked.
Two the cpu cooler isn't going to be sufficient. Three if its an orginal phenom it doesn't oc very well.
m
l
September 8, 2010 3:24:23 AM

Okay, let's say that I cannot overclock this computer. At the moment on Cataclysm beta I am getting 25-65 fps on ultra with fair shadows and low liquid details (new water details) the current video card I am using at the moment is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If I upgraded to this video card would my fps be around 45+ more consistantly with shadows on medium and liquid details on ultra running at direct x 11?

http://www.powercolor.com/us/products_features.asp?id=2...

Would I see a noticable performance boost?
m
l
Related resources
September 8, 2010 4:37:29 AM

You should see a noticeable performance boost. It also depends on your resolution. You will have to get a new PSU to run that GPU safely and since slim computers don't use normal PSU's it gonna be hard to find one. The way I see it you have three options. One run the computer without the side panel on so you can use a normal PSU. This will also make your computer a dust magnet. Two get a new case as well and move the innards of your current PC into it. Three build a new PC.
m
l
!