How do I overclock this CPU?

Hey guys, I have an Dell Inspiron 546 St Slim model computer with a phenom x3 tri core processor clocked at 2.1 ghz. It runs World of Warcraft pretty decent but I think I could overclock it a bit and squeeze some more fps out of it but I have never overclocked before.

I don't know if it matters, but my PSU is a 250 watt with a 12V rating of 17A. I tried AMD's overdrive but the auto overclock function is greyed out and I assume non compatible with the computer's hardware.

Can anyone help me squeeze out some more performance out of this computer? I have been through the blue screen bios or w/e and it shows nothing about overclocking, to my knowledge, but I am a noob..

Please help, thanks. :)
4 answers Last reply
More about overclock
  1. Chances are that you won't be able to oc at all. One because it's a prebuilt so the bios is locked.
    Two the cpu cooler isn't going to be sufficient. Three if its an orginal phenom it doesn't oc very well.
  2. Okay, let's say that I cannot overclock this computer. At the moment on Cataclysm beta I am getting 25-65 fps on ultra with fair shadows and low liquid details (new water details) the current video card I am using at the moment is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121348

If I upgraded to this video card would my fps be around 45+ more consistantly with shadows on medium and liquid details on ultra running at direct x 11?

http://www.powercolor.com/us/products_features.asp?id=255#Specification

Would I see a noticable performance boost?
  3. You should see a noticeable performance boost. It also depends on your resolution. You will have to get a new PSU to run that GPU safely and since slim computers don't use normal PSU's it gonna be hard to find one. The way I see it you have three options. One run the computer without the side panel on so you can use a normal PSU. This will also make your computer a dust magnet. Two get a new case as well and move the innards of your current PC into it. Three build a new PC.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Computer Product