DVD not reading after fresh OS install

ptphoto

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
I have a toshiba A215-S6816 where the dvd drive with spin up and act as though it is trying to read a disc with the light staying on for a while but nothing. I try to double click the dvd drive in My Computer but some times get the message to insert a disc, or it'll sit ther for a while like it's trying to read.

After this issue is when I decided to take the system from Vista to Windows 7 32 bit. The upgrade did nothing so I went back and did a custom install / fresh install and it still will not recognize the disc. Nothing appears out of the ordinary in Device Manager, or anywhere else I can see.

But this drive WILL boot a bootable disc during startup with no issue, which is why I thought software was the issue and may still be. I appreciate any help, since Microsofts Fix It says it sees no issue so it won't do anything at all.

Thanks,
Paul

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
First check the manufacturer's website for updated drivers / firmware / updates / fixes.

Then:

Start -> Search -> "regedit"

make sure this value is not present:

"NoViewOnDrive"

In:

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer"

ptphoto

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

All updates applied i'm aware of, and my registry key goes up to Policies, but there is no explorer at that point...

Paul

ptphoto

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

It shows under my computer, and has a drive letter assigned...

Paul