Sign in with
Your question

4850 Static, game crashes

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 1, 2010 8:58:46 PM

Hello,

I am trying to narrow down an issue. two games, Battle Field 2 and Red Alert 3, both have static sound when playing, then crash. I have replaced the sound card and think it is the gpu. COD4 plays fine. Tried every compatability mode and run as admin.

I am not sure how to determine the issue. I have Catalyst 10.5 (as well as latest sound drivers). Can the gpu cause a sound issue, such as static? I am not using HDMI, but VGA.

Specs:
Direct x: 11
GPU: PowerColor 4850 1GB, not oc'd
CPU: X2 555BE, unlocked to 4 cores but no oc
MB: Asus M4A79XTD EVO
Ram: 4gb Kingston HyperX, not oc'd
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550W

My other thought is a power issue. This was my first build, and I simply plugged the card into the psu. Can I have used the wrong rail? Is there a right and wrong way to do that?

Thanks for any advice!
June 2, 2010 3:50:15 AM

Try removing the sound card and running the audio through your 4850 via HDMI. Does your sound card connect to your mobo via SPDIF? If so, I can see there being a conflict of hardware there.
June 2, 2010 9:42:19 AM

Agree, try remove the sound card...

Your PSU is just fine, there's no way you could go wrong, you can use any rails that you want...
Related resources
June 2, 2010 7:56:54 PM

kashtr0_305 said:
Try removing the sound card and running the audio through your 4850 via HDMI. Does your sound card connect to your mobo via SPDIF? If so, I can see there being a conflict of hardware there.

Thanks, kashtr0. I have tried these 3 things, including your suggestion:

Running with just the onboard 7.1 sound
Running with the HDMI from the 4850
Bought and installed a SIIG 5.1 audio card and installed latest drivers, and ran from that.

In all 3 cases, the issue happens at the same spot in each game.

I am not sure about the SPDIF question. The sound card is PCIx16(?).

With trying 3 audio configs, that is what makes me wonder if it is something w/the 4850 itself.

Thanks for any ideas you may have. I will try about anything at this point!
June 2, 2010 7:59:30 PM

Quote:
Your trying to play in DX11 with a HD 4850??

I realize the 4850 only supports DX 10, but I think Catalyst 10.5 may have downloaded DX11; really not sure. One of the games, either Red Alert 3 or BF2, installed whatever version of DX it wanted.

is there a way to uninstall DX11 and install DX10?

is there an error file written anywhere in WIN 7 64-bit with a crash to desktop?
June 3, 2010 5:05:40 PM

Yes, I uninstalled both games and reinstalled, and applied all patches.

Per game audio settings, RA3 really only has the option to check or uncheck "HD Audio". I've tried both.

In general are there other settings that need manually adjusted in games?
June 3, 2010 8:03:39 PM

Thanks, Zipzoomflyhigh, that's just what the guy at Microcenter suggested.

Is it feasable that the system, with two unlocked cores, is stable all the time, except during those 2 games? I may have incorrectly assumed that if a core was unstable, the system just plain wouldn't run.

Thank you again for your suggestions.
June 7, 2010 2:50:32 PM

Well, it was bad cores. One of the two I unlocked was causing this. Live and learn.

If I had more than a stock heat sync, I might try to overclock. I can tell a big difference between the quad core I had unlocked, and being back to dual core.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
June 7, 2010 2:55:16 PM

Best answer selected by mgkunkel.
!