Sign in with
Your question

Msi p45neo2 and bios 3.0v first release will 1tb hard drive work

Last response: in Motherboards
April 13, 2011 8:53:16 PM

hi,

after plenty of research into finding out the year or manufacture of my mainboard which is the msi p45 neo2 the first release bios is the version 3.0.... will a 1000gig hard drive work with the first release bios yes or no, i dont seem to be getting any suitable answers from msi regaurding this matter so i'm hoping to get some sort of a final answer to my query..Thank you... :??: 
a c 1128 V Motherboard
April 14, 2011 1:03:17 PM

Yes it will it is more or less an OS limitation if it does not. XP SP1 and later enabled larger drives.
April 14, 2011 1:17:01 PM

so what about vista which is what i have installed atm, but will be upgrading to windows 7 soon?

because according to MSI, they say i have to have the 3.3 version of bios before even a 1tb hard drive will even work...failing that they also stated why i dont just flash bios to the most recent one which is 3.4.
But what gets me is....that if i purchased the board brand new which i didnt anyway, but if i did it would have had the first release bios of 3.o installed then i would be stuffed for even using my 1tb if i am correct in saying?
Related resources
a c 1128 V Motherboard
April 14, 2011 1:32:10 PM

darren2011 said:
so what about vista which is what i have installed atm, but will be upgrading to windows 7 soon?

because according to MSI, they say i have to have the 3.3 version of bios before even a 1tb hard drive will even work...failing that they also stated why i dont just flash bios to the most recent one which is 3.4.
But what gets me is....that if i purchased the board brand new which i didnt anyway, but if i did it would have had the first release bios of 3.o installed then i would be stuffed for even using my 1tb if i am correct in saying?

Vista no problem!
Looked at their BIOS updates and indeed they state 1TB support in version 3.3. (I would recommend flashing it to 3.4 as they do)
You would not be stuffed since you could partition the drive into multiple volume's, that is multiple drives with the original BIOS.
April 14, 2011 1:43:08 PM

so.... first released bios i could use my 1tb hdd then with no issues,but would be reccomendable to flash to the 3.4?
a c 1128 V Motherboard
April 14, 2011 2:06:28 PM

Yes. I believe so and definitely flash the BIOS.
April 14, 2011 2:09:49 PM

ok Thank you for your help appreciated :) 
April 15, 2011 11:05:08 PM

OK maybe i'm over reactiong here but yes or no......

should i try the first initial release bios for my mainboard to see if my 1tb hard drive works?

for example what if i had bought my mainboard new? it would have came with the first initial release anyway am i right? so then i would imagine just placing it in my case and connectiong everything even my hard drive it should work in theory....

take as an example:::::

asus maximus formula, no bios update, and runs a 1tb hard drive with no issues, i know about that because i built a quadcore top end gamers machine for a friend and that board didnt have a bios flash just plugged everything up and fired it up, installed windows and away it went no issues? so why does msi have to be akward?
!