Sign in with
Your question

What is the best cpu I can use?

Last response: in CPUs
September 8, 2010 3:56:12 AM

Hey guys, I am looking for the best possible processor I can throw in this machine, I am new to computers so I will copy my Belarc info.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
System Model:
Dell Inc. Inspiron 546S
System Service Tag: 89PCCK1 (support for this PC)
Chassis Serial Number: 89PCCK1
Enclosure Type:Slim Desktop
Processor:
2.10 gigahertz AMD Phenom 8450e Triple-Core
384 kilobyte primary memory cache
1536 kilobyte secondary memory cache
2048 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (3 total)
Not hyper-threaded
Main Circuit Board:
Board: Dell Inc. 0F896N A02
Serial Number: ..CN7360495G00UK.
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Inc. A11 01/19/2010
It would also be helpful to find the best of the best memory for this as well and how much the board can support.

Thanks guys.

More about : cpu

a b à CPUs
September 8, 2010 4:08:30 AM

heres the deal with dell pcs. They use a propritary motherboard that has many of its features locked/disabled. Most likely you will not be able to change out the processor and have it work right. Right now what you have in there is not that bad. a tri core chip is good for multitasking. it should be able to handle everything that you can throw at it. So all in all I saw stick to the cpu have in there
m
l
September 8, 2010 4:13:57 AM

I am just looking to improve performance on World of Warcraft and my weakest link right now is my Gefore 210 512 64 bit video card, I am soon upgrading to a 5750 and a 300W PSU and the system harbors 8 gigs of ram, you think I can run starcraft 2 on ultra with 30+ fps?
m
l
Related resources
a c 105 à CPUs
a b } Memory
September 8, 2010 4:20:25 AM

both WoW and SC2 use only two cores so basically you are using a dual core @2.1ghz....plus the phenom was not a good CPU even when it was new to the market a few years back.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
September 8, 2010 4:21:57 AM

Near as I can tell, you have a 780G motherboard although Dell isn't very forthcom ming with information.
According to their website, this can take Phenom I cpu's, but it isn't clear if AM3 is supported. Another issue with a budget board is this- would it be capable of operating 125W or higher CPU's?

I was successful in running a Phenom Quad core 9850BE in my wife's budget Geforce 6150 motherboard. I am pretty sure it was only rated for 95W processors. It ran a little hot but otherwise did just fine.

PH I can utilize DDR2 1066Mhz ram, but again I am uncertain if your board supports this. 2 Gigs is the minimum I can recommend. You should consider 4 gigs for Win7.

Here's my advice, I doubt you'll be able to upgrade this machine to a level that will be satisfying vs the money spent. You may be able to get from 2.1 Ghz to round 2.8 or 3.0, but it will most likely be still outdated Phenom I tech.

You's be better off getting a motherboard,CPU, ram upgrade combo from some place like newegg. Here's an example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...

Oh, there is this-a Kuma black edition for 43 bucks. Yes, it is a dual core but has a much higher clock speed and it can even be overclocked easily to 3.2 Ghz. In games it would be a good boost:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Pretty sure you could drop that in your mobo.
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
a b } Memory
September 8, 2010 4:58:07 AM

buzznut said:

You's be better off getting a motherboard,CPU, ram upgrade combo from some place like newegg. Here's an example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...

Oh, there is this-a Kuma black edition for 43 bucks. Yes, it is a dual core but has a much higher clock speed and it can even be overclocked easily to 3.2 Ghz. In games it would be a good boost:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

1) in the combo pack you will most likely need a new OS disc. The OS that came with your DELL are DELL specific and tend to have issues when run with new non-DELL motherboards.

2) I doubt the DELL BIOS supports a kuma CPU. Often the BIOS will only support CPUs sold with the series for mass PC makers.
m
l
!