Amd heat sink good enough ?

miguelcotaque

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
hi i just wanna ask if you have used amd new heat sink the one with 4 heat pipes and ask if is it good , temperatures do you get and if its possible to over clock thanks

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The packaged retail heatsinks that AMD provides with their processors are good for running at stock speeds. I do not recommend you use them for OCing. For that, you need an aftermarket HSF link the Cool Master Hyper 212+ (highly recommended and discussed within Tom's forums). An aftermarket HSF will give you more capability and performance than the packaged HSF.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I'll echo COL on that, stock heat sinks are usually just barely good enough to cool the chip at stock settings, you might be able to use better thermal grease on a mild overclock, thats what i'm doing on mine, but its only a 200 mhz overclock. if you wanna go bigger aftermarket cooler is the way to go.

you can risk it if you want but would you really wanna risk paper weighting a cpu over a good 30-40 dollar cpu cooler

skervy

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
my x3 445 is unlocked and runs around 40-50c on the stock cooler with ac5. its the basic cheapo aluminum one no pipes so not sure about that but i would assume its a little better. i oc to 3.5 when i play my games and do heavy usage havent gone over 48c now that ive noticed. i can get them 35-45c with the air conditioner on since im in a hot upstairs room. that is my limit though to keep it under 50 if i try 3.6 and more voltage it goes into the low 50s but 3.5 is plenty enough for me at the moment. winter is coming along to so itll be alot colder here soon hehe. i know their correct and having a aftermarket cooler would help no question but you can do some on stock just not extreme.

miguelcotaque

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010

ok thanks
other question
would you reccomend a watter cooling like the coolit eco or the h50 from corsair or just go with a air cooling like the v6 or v8 from coolermaster

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
most the lower end water cooling units that don't utilize decent size radiators tend to have trouble even keeping up with higher end air units... but hey why not just go all out with a liquid nitrogen or helium setup ;)

i kid i kid, a v6 ro c8 would fit nicely