Sign in with
Your question

Do need ati catalyst

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 1, 2010 10:05:00 PM

Hello,
do I need ATI If I dont play games on my laptop. I'm sure it is making my laptop run slow. It was already installed when I bought it.

More about : ati catalyst

June 1, 2010 10:49:31 PM

If you dont install CCC, Windows will use generic drivers to display. They will not be the best performers but will function, for both 2D and 3D (people do forget that 2D mode needs drivers as well to be snappy). You didnt mention Win 7 or Vista or XP.

CCC by itself doesnt slow you down, it doesnt sit in RAM.

I would check the number of total processes you are running in Task Manager - 40 or less is my standard.
My guess is the hard drive is slow (5400 rpm?).
June 1, 2010 11:30:47 PM

I have just checked Performance Information and Tools and its telling me that ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver is causing windows to resume slowly. IT is Radeon Xpress 200M series. The advice it gives is, if you dont use the device, consider uninstalling it, hence my question. My laptop is a Packard Bell , Win 8 Vista. I am not very computor literate and dont know what CCC means. I will have a go at the task manager but I don't know if I will understand it !!!!
Thanks for any help you can give.
Related resources
June 1, 2010 11:35:34 PM

Quote:
You might want to update newer drivers, what laptop do you have?

It is a Packard Bell. I did update but no different, still getting message in perfomance and tools.
June 1, 2010 11:51:58 PM

I forgot to mention that it works better in Safe Mode. Another thing that happens is that windows stops responding an awful lot,but not in safe mode. It's very frustrating.
!