Sign in with
Your question

First build advice

Last response: in Systems
July 11, 2010 4:56:01 AM

Hello this is gonna be my first build and this is what im looking at right now will be ordering by the first of august and all the stuff preferably from ncix.com:

Case: Cooler master Haf X
Motherboard:Gigabyte X58a-ud3r
Processor: Core i7-930
Cpu Fan: cooler master hyper 212+
Thermal paste: Artic silver 5
Video Card: Evga Gtx 480
Ram: Ocz ddr3 1600 3x2 8 8 8 24
Power supply: Corsair Hx 1000w
dvd/cd drive: Samsung SH-223c
Hard driver Samsung Spinpoint 1tb
Monitor: Alien ware OptX AW2310 23 inch 3D Full HD Widescreen Monitor(currently on sale 120 off :p )

Would like some advise for this build please also I'm wondering does my motherboard have enough spacing for two gtx 480's? like said here? http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-480-3-w... or even if it doesn't would it really be an issue? my case has a ton of fans and is certified to run Fermi in sli so am wondering if it matters.

Or if I cant have two gtx 480's could i run two 470's in this well enough? I suppose then I could go down to a 950tx and save 80 bucks or so on the psu as well as lots of money on the video cards.

I'm curious as well would it be ok to touch a stainless steel/ aluminum toaster that's plugged into the wall to discharge static? I cant find anything else, also can I discharge on my case since its all painted black? or would I just be better off with the toaster? lol

Will be playing games in 3d as you probably noticed from the monitor as well :p  also does it matter if my monitor has hdcp for not mine isn't listed as having it on dells site although it probably does anyways I assume. Thanks.

More about : build advice

July 11, 2010 6:38:18 PM

Quote:
... and no, the UD3R you list would not be a happy fit with two large GPUs.

The PCIex16 slots are spaced out first and third so I'm kinda currious what the issue will be with sli.

Looks like you've got a fairly solid gaming build there! yes you can discharge on the case still or you can use a faucet.
m
l
Related resources
July 11, 2010 8:24:23 PM

They may be first and third but the cards are double-wide. You end up with almost no space between them and restricted air flow. It's done all the time but it's far from ideal.

To quote Chris in the above referenced article:

"You want a board equipped with two second-gen PCI Express x16 slots that are electrically wired to run at x16, and not x8. Moreover, you want them to be at least three slots apart, leaving at least one space between the top and bottom cards. Anything less and you’ll sacrifice frame rate and/or acoustic performance."

Well, he's not completely right about the X16 slots, as tests still don't show much difference in FPS with x8... but I agree with the spacing.
m
l
July 12, 2010 12:09:14 AM

Proximon said:
They may be first and third but the cards are double-wide. You end up with almost no space between them and restricted air flow. It's done all the time but it's far from ideal.

To quote Chris in the above referenced article:

"You want a board equipped with two second-gen PCI Express x16 slots that are electrically wired to run at x16, and not x8. Moreover, you want them to be at least three slots apart, leaving at least one space between the top and bottom cards. Anything less and you’ll sacrifice frame rate and/or acoustic performance."

Well, he's not completely right about the X16 slots, as tests still don't show much difference in FPS with x8... but I agree with the spacing.

Not completely related here, but over at another thread we're helping someone else out with their build and they're wanting to put 2 470s in a X58A-UD3R. Will they fit?

On a more related note, avoid current OCZ DDR3 RAM, it has some issues atm.
m
l
July 12, 2010 6:30:57 AM

They'll fit, but as I say they will struggle to stay cool and the fans will be working harder, can wear out and be noisy (at least the inside fan). Now if you are going to water-cool both cards then that's fine.

Yes it does seem that they have more issues currently, I've noticed that myself. Always preferred G.skill, Mushkin, Kingston, Corsair anyway, but sometimes those low prices are hard to pass up.
m
l
July 12, 2010 9:50:27 AM

Proximon said:
They'll fit, but as I say they will struggle to stay cool and the fans will be working harder, can wear out and be noisy (at least the inside fan). Now if you are going to water-cool both cards then that's fine.

Yes it does seem that they have more issues currently, I've noticed that myself. Always preferred G.skill, Mushkin, Kingston, Corsair anyway, but sometimes those low prices are hard to pass up.

Hmm.. so would you say it'd be ok to do? And if no, what's an alternative mobo?
Here's the thread if you'd prefer to post there instead:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289761-31-first-gamin...
m
l
!