Data Transfer Rate suddenly slowed

vhbug

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Title says it all. Been going fine for awhile, and this morning my data transfer rate on my HDD plummeted. Nothing new was installed in the last few days other than adobe flash player's x64 version. I'm backing up my files now just in case it completely dies on me, but if possible I'd like to avoid buying another.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to read my post.

if you have an intel chipset mb try downloading the newest mb chipset drivers..you could have a damaged driver. also check with msconfig what running..see if anything using a lot of system ram or clock cycles. (could be a virus.) if your virus program is old or outdated try updating it. also check that your not running two anti virus programes. a lot of download now have mcafees or nortons or 3 party software you have to make sure you dont install with flash and other reg programs. (i would also run a malware byte scan).

vhbug

Honorable
May 7, 2012
I ended up formatting it, updating some asmedia sata controller drivers? (everything else was up to date) and switched out the sata cable and it seems to be running ok now, but I haven't really done anything with it yet either.

Norton 360 claims there's no viruses on the system, and I'm sure I didn't install any of the extra AV's. When you say intel mb chipset, what do you mean exactly? The Intel 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family Sata AHCI Controller? I couldn't find any drivers for that

vhbug

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Good, the graph was from after the format, so now I know it's fine to start using again, thanks. I wasn't able to get a graph from when it was slow =/ but if it happens again, what would be some of the common troubleshooting steps or something?

the intel sata and usb drivers are packaged in what caleld the intel chipset drivers on intel web page..there an older set that shipped with you mb cd. make sure also that your hard drive is conencted to the intel sata ports and not the third party chipset.

Depending on how the drive is configured, sometimes when there are an excessive number of CRC errors, Windows switches the controller from DMA to PIO mode. In such cases the performance curve would become a flat line at around 5 MB/s or so.

Sometimes, such as in those cases where there are numerous bad sectors, there will be large dips in the performance curve and a large amount of scatter in the access time data points.

You mean Intel Rapid Storage Drivers.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/chpsts/imsm/