Vaio PCG-GRZ610 Hardrive and XP pro questions

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
November 4, 2004 3:53:00 AM

Looking for any advise.
Does anyone know of any problems replacing the 4800rpm/40gig hardrive with
a 5400rpm/40gig or higher? Unit is configred with XP home. I would love to
run XP pro. I tryed a fresh pro install, but recovery disc said it would not
run. I was able recover back to factory , and upgrade to Pro. I would realy
like to do a clean unpartioned install of pro. does anyone know any sites I
can go to?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 4, 2004 3:53:01 AM

tmfast wrote:
> Looking for any advise.
> Does anyone know of any problems replacing the 4800rpm/40gig hardrive
> with a 5400rpm/40gig or higher? Unit is configred with XP home. I
> would love to run XP pro. I tryed a fresh pro install, but recovery
> disc said it would not run. I was able recover back to factory , and
> upgrade to Pro. I would realy like to do a clean unpartioned install
> of pro. does anyone know any sites I can go to?

You can replace the HD with whatever you want. Sites for what?

a b D Laptop
November 4, 2004 3:53:01 AM

tmfast wrote:

> Looking for any advise.
> Does anyone know of any problems replacing the 4800rpm/40gig hardrive
> with
> a 5400rpm/40gig or higher? Unit is configred with XP home. I would love
> to run XP pro. I tryed a fresh pro install, but recovery disc said it
> would not run.

Huh? How does a recovery disk enter into this? All you need to install XP
Pro is the XP Pro CD and a diskette with the drivers for your disk
controller if it's one that XP doesn't support out of the box.

> I was able recover back to factory , and upgrade to Pro. I
> would realy like to do a clean unpartioned install of pro. does anyone
> know any sites I can go to?

There's no real benefit to XP Pro unless you're running a domain. I've got
Pro on my desktop and Home on the laptop and there's no apparent difference
in function except when I try to access my 2K server. Since all the
critical data on my system lives on the Novell server and the Novell client
runs fine on XP home and the main purpose for the 2K server on my system is
to permit the Linux boxen to access Microsoft apps via Terminal Services
it's a non-issue for me. At one point was thinking about upgrading the
laptop to Pro and decided "why bother".

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

J. Clarke wrote:
> tmfast wrote:
>
>> Looking for any advise.
>> Does anyone know of any problems replacing the 4800rpm/40gig
>> hardrive with
>> a 5400rpm/40gig or higher? Unit is configred with XP home. I would
>> love to run XP pro. I tryed a fresh pro install, but recovery disc
>> said it would not run.
>
> Huh? How does a recovery disk enter into this? All you need to
> install XP Pro is the XP Pro CD and a diskette with the drivers for
> your disk controller if it's one that XP doesn't support out of the
> box.
>
>> I was able recover back to factory , and upgrade to Pro. I
>> would realy like to do a clean unpartioned install of pro. does
>> anyone know any sites I can go to?
>
> There's no real benefit to XP Pro unless you're running a domain.
> I've got Pro on my desktop and Home on the laptop and there's no
> apparent difference in function except when I try to access my 2K
> server. Since all the critical data on my system lives on the Novell
> server and the Novell client runs fine on XP home and the main
> purpose for the 2K server on my system is to permit the Linux boxen
> to access Microsoft apps via Terminal Services it's a non-issue for
> me. At one point was thinking about upgrading the laptop to Pro and
> decided "why bother".

Truer words were never writ.

a b D Laptop
November 5, 2004 5:49:11 AM

OK, my bad
I have both system, & application recovery disks. The "application" CD
would not recognize my notebook as a Sony Vaio after a fresh XP Pro install.
I was thinking there were files or drivers on these disks that were
necessary for it to work right. Sony support page would also not recognize
my notebook.
UPDATE: When I downloaded the I/O control driver, all went well. Sony
support recognized my PC as a Sony. Application disks would now run.
My question about hardrive speed was concerning any overheating or failure
problems. My research shows a history of system cooling problems with this
model.
I would like to install a faster drive if I can, but don't want to damage
anything.
This is my 1st Sony notebook. I have has several IBM's , and had no problem
doing what I what with them. I got a good deal on this Vaio. It's a new
project for me to get it to work the way I want. I am trying to "Tim Taylor
the (tool man)" this notebook. Just wondering what my limits are, or if
there is any advise.
I am requires to run XP Pro so I can connect to job related locations.
Thank you all for your response.

> J. Clarke wrote:
>> tmfast wrote:
>>
>>> Looking for any advise.
>>> Does anyone know of any problems replacing the 4800rpm/40gig
>>> hardrive with
>>> a 5400rpm/40gig or higher? Unit is configred with XP home. I would
>>> love to run XP pro. I tryed a fresh pro install, but recovery disc
>>> said it would not run.
>>
>> Huh? How does a recovery disk enter into this? All you need to
>> install XP Pro is the XP Pro CD and a diskette with the drivers for
>> your disk controller if it's one that XP doesn't support out of the
>> box.
>>
>>> I was able recover back to factory , and upgrade to Pro. I
>>> would realy like to do a clean unpartioned install of pro. does
>>> anyone know any sites I can go to?
>>
>> There's no real benefit to XP Pro unless you're running a domain.
>> I've got Pro on my desktop and Home on the laptop and there's no
>> apparent difference in function except when I try to access my 2K
>> server. Since all the critical data on my system lives on the Novell
>> server and the Novell client runs fine on XP home and the main
>> purpose for the 2K server on my system is to permit the Linux boxen
>> to access Microsoft apps via Terminal Services it's a non-issue for
>> me. At one point was thinking about upgrading the laptop to Pro and
>> decided "why bother".
>
> Truer words were never writ.

a b D Laptop
November 7, 2004 12:06:42 PM

Changing the HD isnt going to hurt anything.. The only thig I reccomed
is pulling the extra stick of memory from slot 2 (if present) Prior to
installing. Slot 2 on sonys are a big problem causing random shutdowns
and freeze problems. They heat up and the bad solder joints open,
Sometimes killing stick 2. Do your recovery with ram in slot 1 only..
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 8, 2004 2:37:59 AM

Thank you ikenfixit,
Sounds like you these SONY's pretty well. Research shows a history of the
same problem you mentioned. I have decided to leave it alone as it is
working fine. I don't think it will be a good field service laptop for me as
I am on allot of construction sites in rough conditions. I am pretty content
with this unit at home. I have not used my tower PC's since I have had this
laptop. I have been coonecting to everything from my coffee table in front
of my TV. Life is grand from here. Thanx again for your responce.

!