Sign in with
Your question

Why did they make this?

Last response: in Components
September 8, 2010 7:02:34 AM

Hey guys, I am wondering why Powercolor and I am sure other manufacturer's of video cards, made this low profile video card..

http://www.powercolor.com/us/products_features.asp?id=2...

There is no PSU's in a low profile slim case, that can even handle it and have a 6 pin power connector. Correct me if I am wrong please.. because I want this video card.

It boggles me they made this and I can't find a PSU to support it in my case, why make a low profile video card for low profile machines when you cant get a low profile psu to support it?

Something I have missed? Please help I want this video card xD

More about : make

a b ) Power supply
September 8, 2010 12:18:32 PM

Silverstone Sugo SG05 and SG06 have an 80+ 300W SFF PSU that will handle that card easily. They've also released a 450W version too.

The Sugo SG07 has a SFF 600W PSU that can handle a 5970.

Also I think Seasonic have some high-quality SFF PSUs that will handle some pretty powerful cards.
m
l
September 8, 2010 1:55:04 PM

The Silverstone Sugo's are about 3 or 5x bigger than what will fit my case, I found a seasonic one though,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It doesn't have a 6 pinn connector, could I just run a PCI Express 6-Pin to Two 4-Pin Molex adapter and run power to it that way and run the new low profile 5750 1g ddr5 low profile video card?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 8, 2010 2:02:12 PM

What's your case then?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2010 2:16:56 PM

A 5750 at the very most will draw 75 watts but for the most part it will be much less so in a SFF system with nothing else to run but a hard drive a motherboard and a CPU will run just fine on 300 watts.

I put a few numbers in a calculator and came up with this for what I think a SFF system would have.

I3 530, Motherboard, 2 sticks of RAM, 1 Hard Drive, 1 DVD RW, and 1 ATI 5750 and I came up with a peak power of 248watts so its not that power hungry of a card. You would even have plenty of power to OC if you have a decent unit.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2010 2:38:42 PM

You will be fine with 300 watts but no less.
m
l
!