Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 Problems

sameer_752003

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Hi,
I am a new comer to Toms Hardware and i hope this forum resolves my problem.

I have a peculiar problem with my HDD. Firstly my configuration is MSI G31TM P21 Motherboard, Intel P4 3.0 GHz processor 2GB RAM, one IDE drive Samsung 80 GB, and one Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500 GB SATA HDD.
I purchased the HDD about an year ago and it started giving me problems after a few months. The drive would be sometimes detected and sometimes not. Initially I had my OS loaded on my Seagate HDD partition but ome times the computer would shut down suddenly. I had my drive replaced under warranty twice. The replaced drive would have a lable certified repaired HDD. Is this normal.
Now the second time I got my drive replaced a few days back, the drive would not be detedted by BIOS. I upgraded my BIOS. Then it intermittently gets detected. The drive gets hot. I tested the drive on other PC. It worked fine for an hour or so. SO i thought the drive was OK and my mobo would be faulty. So i tested my motherboard with other SATA drive. The motherboard also worked fine and detected the HDD. No problems. I also tested my HDD on another old system and it got detected and worked fine for an hour or so.

So where am I missing something. Which of my components is faulty. Can it be an SMPS issue.

bhairavjoshi

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Hi,

I am not hardware expert - but I have been struggling with similar problem with different motherboard. Firstly, make yourself very clear that nothing is faulty. It is only mismatch problem. Barracuda 7200.12 500 GB support SATA III i.e. 6GB/s transfer and probably your hardware is made for SATA II i.e. 3GB/s transfer speed. Just try to replace harddrive with Barracuda 7200.10 or equivalent and try. It must work.

-Bhairav

Hi,
I am a new comer to Toms Hardware and i hope this forum resolves my problem.

I have a peculiar problem with my HDD. Firstly my configuration is MSI G31TM P21 Motherboard, Intel P4 3.0 GHz processor 2GB RAM, one IDE drive Samsung 80 GB, and one Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500 GB SATA HDD.
I purchased the HDD about an year ago and it started giving me problems after a few months. The drive would be sometimes detected and sometimes not. Initially I had my OS loaded on my Seagate HDD partition but ome times the computer would shut down suddenly. I had my drive replaced under warranty twice. The replaced drive would have a lable certified repaired HDD. Is this normal.
Now the second time I got my drive replaced a few days back, the drive would not be detedted by BIOS. I upgraded my BIOS. Then it intermittently gets detected. The drive gets hot. I tested the drive on other PC. It worked fine for an hour or so. SO i thought the drive was OK and my mobo would be faulty. So i tested my motherboard with other SATA drive. The motherboard also worked fine and detected the HDD. No problems. I also tested my HDD on another old system and it got detected and worked fine for an hour or so.

So where am I missing something. Which of my components is faulty. Can it be an SMPS issue.[/quotemsg]