Files and Settings Transfer Wizard problem...gave me USMT2..

I did the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard on my computer before formatting
it, and it gave me a .DAT file called USMT2IMG. I stored this on a flash
drive, then reformatted and put it back on after XP Pro was done installing.
I ran Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, and it could no find the file. I
searched on the internet, and I found that I was supposed to have some file
along with it called "status", although I do not, I only have USMT2IMG. Any
ideas how to get it to work?
2 answers Last reply
More about files settings transfer wizard problem gave usmt2

    Well here's what's probably more important: when you save a settings
    configuration and it asks you where to store it, let's call that folder "x".
    Within folder "x" you will see a directory along the lines of "USMT2.UNC"
    depending on what version of windows you are using. Inside the ".UNC" folder
    will be a .DAT (file and a status file.

    "Lakitu" wrote:

    > I did the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard on my computer before formatting
    > it, and it gave me a .DAT file called USMT2IMG. I stored this on a flash
    > drive, then reformatted and put it back on after XP Pro was done installing.
    > I ran Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, and it could no find the file. I
    > searched on the internet, and I found that I was supposed to have some file
    > along with it called "status", although I do not, I only have USMT2IMG. Any
    > ideas how to get it to work?

    Well here's what's probably more important: when you save a settings
    configuration it asks you where to store it, let's call that folder "x" (I
    recommend creating a new folder and using it ONLY for this purpose). Within
    folder "x" you will see a directory along the lines of "USMT2.UNC" depending
    on what version of windows you are using. Inside the ".UNC" folder will be a
    ..DAT file (for us it's called "IMG00001.DAT") and a file called status.

    When you are restoring settings, you MUST point to directory "x" to do the
    restore... you cannot point directly to the .DAT file. At this juncture, I
    think your only choice is to try saving your settings again, and then
    afterwards you can replace the .DAT file just created with the one you saved
    on the flash drive, and try restoring settings from that.

    In the future be careful to back up the entire directory.

    It does occur to me however that your version could be working differently
    for some reason, and if so you should still be able to save your settings and
    replace the .DAT file.

    Hope this helps,

    John Morales
    Iguana Gurus
    Milwaukee, WI

    "Lakitu" wrote:

    > I did the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard on my computer before formatting
    > it, and it gave me a .DAT file called USMT2IMG. I stored this on a flash
    > drive, then reformatted and put it back on after XP Pro was done installing.
    > I ran Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, and it could no find the file. I
    > searched on the internet, and I found that I was supposed to have some file
    > along with it called "status", although I do not, I only have USMT2IMG. Any
    > ideas how to get it to work?

Configuration Windows XP