Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dying Hard disk, PC freezing and crashing with blank screen, need help

Last response: in Storage
September 10, 2012 5:46:40 PM

Since few days ago, my computer started freezing very badly, I formatted every partition and reinstalled windows a multiple times and also ran chkdsk, it improvet d the situation but still while surfing folders and clicking too much freezes it for seconds, sometimes boot time (both starting windows and shutting down ) takes alot of time but not always. But the bigger problem is while watching videos or using programs like After effects and premiere my computer suddenly freezes and screen goes blank, sometimes it becomes solid white or blue color and most of the times white, green, gray or blue colored with vertical stripes of darker color AND the only way to escape this situation is HARD Shut down.

My personal opinion is that the problem is with my hard disk but i can be wrong. Whole computer is just 2 months old and ran perfectly for these two months but since 1 sept it has been giving problems.

things I tried:

1. reinstalling windows multiple times.
2. ran chk disk. (Found and fixed a lot of bad sectors and improved the situation, made the pc somewhat usable)
3. changing ports of hdd on Mb. (almost no effect).

Exact problem:

1. PC hangs randomly at any time and sometimes when I am clicking too much.
2.Sometimes when watching video or something gpu related Screen goes blank with any random color (mostly white, gray blue, green) filled with vertical stripes of darker shade of that color, and computer freezes completely forcing me to hard shut down.
3. some times booting of windows takes longer and becomes stuck at "shutting down" for a while before actually shutting down.

my system:

Fx 8150

His 7850 2gb

m5a99x evo

wd caviar blue wd10ealx 1 tb

g.skill sniper 16gb

a c 354 G Storage
September 10, 2012 6:56:54 PM

manpreet66 said:

2. ran chk disk. (Found and fixed a lot of bad sectors and improved the situation, made the pc somewhat usable)

It sounds like the drive is bad to me. If the computer is just 2 months old, the drive should be under warranty. Have it replaced.
Related resources
September 10, 2012 9:05:14 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
It sounds like the drive is bad to me. If the computer is just 2 months old, the drive should be under warranty. Have it replaced.

Thnks for replying, yes its under warranty but I have a project to complete in few days so I am avoiding rma right now and I also want to be sure if its really hdd or some other component

Best solution

a b G Storage
September 10, 2012 11:31:50 PM

if the drive do not pass the test you could do advance rma request and use acronis on wd to transfert from the old to the new drive
a b G Storage
September 11, 2012 4:13:38 AM

Best thing to use is http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ It has some good hard drive diagnostic tools. Chances are though that the drive is bad. If your really in a hurry you could always just grab a hard drive from Best Buy or any other electronic store that carries hard drives. That way you can rma the drive while having a working hard drive.

Edit: You really don't want to be using a hard drive that is causing errors when your needing to finish your project, hence your better off of going to the store to pick up a hard drive and if it doesn't work you can easily exchange it.
September 11, 2012 2:25:45 PM

scout_03 said:
did you test the drive with dld from wd try the windows one short test first http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606...

I just ran it,
I ran the quick test and it failed at test 1

here is the result:

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD10EALX-009BA0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WMATR0643619
Firmware Number: 15.01H15
Capacity: 1000.20 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 1 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 1!
Test Time: 07:24:10, September 11, 2012

Does that confirm my hdd need to be RMAed?
September 11, 2012 2:29:59 PM

Also I want to tell if anyone is interested, everything with my pc was fine for about 2 months but once I used Microsoft's ''fix it for me'' to restore some files, from next day my pc has been hanging. Has any of you ever heard about fix it for me spoiling hard disks ? is it even possible?
a c 354 G Storage
September 11, 2012 4:19:01 PM

Your drive was most likely bad before the fix. The fix just exposed the bad sectors on the drive.
a b G Storage
September 12, 2012 2:14:56 AM

fix it is for microsoft software do not have anything to do with the drive ask for rma pre mailer and put the test details you should receive replacement in lesss than a week
September 15, 2012 12:35:40 PM

Best answer selected by manpreet66.
!