Sign in with
Your question

Ultra ATA Storage Controller speed question...

Last response: in Storage
September 10, 2012 7:12:21 PM

Hi, I have a Dell Dimension 2400. I want to put a new hardrive in it. My question is what is the top transfer speed my Ultra ATA Storage Controller will handle. Here are its specs from Device Manager...

Intel(R) 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB

I don't know what the 24CB refers too for example. If I buy a PATA 133 hardrive, will my storage controller be able to handle speeds of 133? Thanks

Also, what software can I use to test the hardrive read or write speed in my current system? Thanks

Andrew
September 10, 2012 8:50:44 PM

Thank you for your reply, that was what I was looking for. If you have any questions on composting or organic waste management I will be happy to help :) 

Andrew
m
l
Related resources
a c 342 G Storage
September 11, 2012 2:54:55 AM

Given what fzabkar provided, you can use a PATA 133 HDD unit, but it just won't actually transfer data faster than the ATA 100 spec.
m
l
a c 342 G Storage
September 12, 2012 12:17:37 AM

Solandri has a good point. He / she is talking about the wide data cable. Start counting across the one you have. When you get to 20 wires, are you only ¼ of the way across? Then you're OK. But if you're half way across, get a new cable.

FYI, although the cable has 80 wires in it, the connectors only have 40. That's because every second wire in the cable is Ground to reduce cross-talk between adjacent wires. The cleaner signals allow faster data transfers.
m
l
!