Asus P8P67 Deluxe ''B3'' - USB 2.0 shut-down issue

m9a2

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Howdy!

- Every time I unplug any of my USB flash drives from the USB 2.0 front panel connector, my computer ''black screens/ shuts-down and reboots'',
however my rear USB 2.0 ports are not affected.

I've read some threads where people are reporting similar issues with the new updated P8P67 ''B3'' motherboards.

What could be the cause of this?
Should I make an RMA, again!? :pfff:

This thread is about the ''B2/B3'' version, but it's basically the same issue:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1591863

''Aye it can be strange, I've a usb hdd that won't work on a front case slot but works fine on the rear.'' -fasteddy

Thanks in advance
Mathias AA
M9A2

Shutdown and pull the Front Panel connections, chances are it's mis-wired and can damage the MOBO. If it's wired correctly then it could easily be a short from the case's USB connections.

If you have an old 'Media Reader' then try it without the cases USB connections to the Front Panel.

m9a2

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

I use a lot of ''USB flash drives'' and external USB hard drives, they work fine both active and when I unplug them.
However when I unplug them from one of my four front USB 2.0 ports, my computer ''black screens/ shuts-down and reboots''.

I'll try reseating the USB 2.0 motherboard connection first thing tomorrow, and I'll update as I progress, thank you.

Thanks in advance
Mathias AA
M9A2

The rear I/O USB are on a different chip, and what I meant by 'Media Reader' -> e.g. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820132020 with its own USB header connector to rule-out your case. If I took a shorted USB mouse and connected to the rear I/O I'd get the same thing and it might even fail to post. If you shorted the USB Front Panel then chances are the MOBO's USB chips controlling the USB header are blown - even if it gets power which happens frequently. Obviously try the 'USB Device' that caused the 'Black screen' on another PC to rule-out the device(s).

Otherwise, if the USB is corrupted then open the Device Manager and delete everything listed [+] Universal serial bus controllers and restart. That will reinstall and rewrite the registry entries.

Good Luck! :)

Example above:
20-132-020-01.jpg

m9a2

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

It seems if my ''previous/old'' front panel works just fine, the one that came pre-installed with my Corsair 700D case.
Maybe I've to contact Corsair's support once again, for a ->second<- front panel connector replacement.
- What do you think, should I make that RMA? [:henry chinaski:1]

This is for you (thanks for helping me out):

However if I keep my ''previous/old'' one installed, I will most likely experience audio issues (that's why I replaced it in the first place).

Thanks in advance
Mathias AA
M9A2

Okay, you went through a lot of effort so I want to be totally clear.

The 'NEW' = FAIL
The 'OLD' = WORKS ; crappy audio

IF I'm correct: 1. MOBO = WORKS! :) -- that's the biggie!!! The obvious difference is the NEW has USB 3.0 so I assume that header was connected to the USB 3 header {top/right} of the P67 chipset {ASUS logo} and that you're not using the included 'Front Panel USB 3.0 Box.'

Yep, if you have "I will most likely experience audio issues" then that screams crappy/shorted panel as well. In other words (2) TWO bad case panels. RMA both panels.

Please correct me if I misunderstood anything.

m9a2

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

The ''new'' front panel connector = USB 2.0 problems.
The ''old'' front panel connector = USB 2.0 works, but there's a loud ''beeping/ humming'' sound.

After testing with several units;

I've also come to the conclusion that my motherboard is not causing this,
since my ''old'' USBs are not affected, and about that USB 3.0 (it's not plugged in) also it came with an adapter
USB 3.0 to 2.0 (which is not connected and can be separately mounted).

I'll be sure to contact Corsair's RMA service,
thank you for all of your support and advise!

Mathias AA
M9A2