Sign in with
Your question

Capacity of power supply

Last response: in Components
September 8, 2010 12:44:42 PM

Hi

Is there any way to know the capacity of the PSU of my PC except for checking the sticker on the PSU?

If any one can suggest any software or any other way by using electric tools, will be very helpful.

Thanks a lot.......

More about : capacity power supply

September 8, 2010 1:33:16 PM

No, you'll need to examine the PSU, there's no way programmatically to discern this information.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 8, 2010 1:55:55 PM

Look at the sticker on the PSU. All the details would be there. At least mention the model number and we will try to say if its good or not.
m
l
Related resources
a c 144 ) Power supply
September 8, 2010 2:03:52 PM

Not unless you have one of those $3k or $4k electronic loadbanks that PSU testers use to test power supplies.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 8, 2010 2:06:21 PM

If it came in a prebuilt machine like Dell or HP you can go to their website and find out what they put in it but besides that you will need to examine the sticker.
m
l
September 8, 2010 2:16:10 PM

hell_storm2004 said:
Look at the sticker on the PSU. All the details would be there. At least mention the model number and we will try to say if its good or not.

I checked the sticker. It says 385 watt (max 400 watt). But the problem is, my PSU is not from a brand. It was with the casing. One of my friends said that I shouldn't always trust the sticker unless they are branded. I know some cases where it is actually true. That is why I asked that question.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 8, 2010 2:23:37 PM

The wattage in modern times is a bit low. But that depends on the type of rig you have. If it came with the cabinet, then i suggest you discard that PSU and get a fresh new one from a reputed brand. Brand matters a lot when it comes to PSU's.
m
l
!