VisionTek 450W Dedicated Graphics Power Supply

ArchAngelAlien

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Hey guys, I own a Dell Inspiron 546 ST Slim Model Computer. My current system specs are:
Tri Core Processor clocked at 2.1 ghz
8 gb ddr 2 ram
Geforce 210 512 64 bit low profile video card.

I contacted Dell because I need a bigger Power Supply for this video card:

http://www.powercolor.com/us/products_features.asp?id=255

My current PSU is 250 watt with a 12V rating of 17A. Dell could not give me the dimensions of my PSU so I can't figure out how to upgrade it because I don't know which PSU will fit.

However Dell sent me this to resolve my problem:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5681047&csid=_25

It seems like a good way to go to play it safe and not end up with something I cannot use or return, and also could have some use down the road for sli or crossfire cards.

The one problem is my slim case does not have an available drive bay for it, as I run a dvd burner drive and a media card reader drive, can I use this power supply externally next to my PC and feed the 1 6 pin power connecter to the video card via the back slot and call my upgrade done? Or is that not safe?

Please help. :(

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I have seen these used successfully many times over. In fact, Maximum PC's most current Dream Machine uses a similar dedicated PSU. They do work as long as you have a bay to park them in.

Running it externally is going to be iffy. An option would be to use an external optical drive and park the PSU in the bay. You really don't want to have a critical component, like a power supply, expose like that. You may also have significany cable length issues.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
OK. Read my first response again.....

Here is what I said.....

Running it externally is going to be iffy. An option would be to use an external optical drive and park the PSU in the bay. You really don't want to have a critical component, like a power supply, expose like that. You may also have significany cable length issues.

Still you can try to run the PSU in an external config, but I don't recommend it. Good luck!

ArchAngelAlien

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
The problem is obsidian86, I don't know if that will fit in my case. Dell won't give me dimensions on the PSU that I currently have installed and I don't want to buy from newegg.com and have that sitting here not being used because it is not compatible with my system.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You are not likely to find a non-Dell PSU to fit your slim case. Even if you could find such a PSU, because of its size, it wouldn't provide the level of power you are looking for. That is way they recommended the auxillary PSU they did. The one Dell suggested would be used in addition to the one you have.

I read thru a few of the feedbacks on newegg for the unit obsidian is suggesting and a few said it fit into a similar Dell Inspiron 540s slim. If you want the dimensions just take it out and measure it but I think it should fit no problem.