Solved

Deciding which SSD to choose.

Hey community,

I might be getting a SSD soon, after some research, left with the Samsung 830 or the Kingston HyperX (240/256 GB versions), was thinking about Intel 520 SSDs, but their expensive. Which one should I get out of the two?
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about deciding choose
  1. I would go with the Samsung since they are considered close second in reliability to Intel.
  2. rolli59 said:
    I would go with the Samsung since they are considered close second in reliability to Intel.


    Which SSDs tends to performs better between the Samsung 830 or the Intel 520?
  3. Best answer
    I normally recommend the Samsung 830. It has a proven track record.

    I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the top of this forum section. Here is the link:

    http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

    Scroll down to the brands you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews.
  4. JohnnyLucky said:
    I normally recommend the Samsung 830. It has a proven track record.

    I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the top of this forum section. Here is the link:

    http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

    Scroll down to the brands you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews.


    Sorry for late reply. Now there's already a review for Samsung 840 pro, but do you think its worth it for $40 more for the 240/256 GB version?
  5. What about the corsair's neutron and neutron GTX SSDs? Are they good also? Is it comparable to the Samsung 830 SSD?
  6. The Samsung 840 and the Corsair Neutron GTX are brand new solid state drives that were recently released and do not yet have a proven track record. I recommend waiting 6 months to see if there are any problems. I also recommend waiting for price reductions.
  7. JohnnyLucky said:
    The Samsung 840 and the Corsair Neutron GTX are brand new solid state drives that were recently released and do not yet have an proven track record. I recommend waiting 6 months to see if there are any problems. I a;so recommend waiting for price reductions.


    Do you think it is worth it for the $30+ premium for those two drives over Samsung 830? I don't think it's really worth it.
  8. I would also go with the 830, it is known as a reliable drive. The other drives need to show this first.
  9. That's a good question. The differences in performance of consumer oriented ssd's are very small. Most people will not notice any difference during regular use. One would have to run synthetic benchmarks to be able to measure the differences. The synthetic benchmarks are designed to grossly exaggerate those small differences. At best they are only a very rough approximation of real world performance. Over on the enterprise side of the market those differences can affect heavy duty business and scientifc applications.
  10. Thanks guys. Will be going for the Samsung 830 SSD later on.
  11. Best answer selected by ipwn3r456.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Kingston Samsung Storage