Sign in with
Your question

High Spec Pc Lagging/Stuttering Problem

Last response: in Systems
July 11, 2010 7:28:05 PM

Heya guys, I once ordered myself a custom pc from DinoPc.com roughly 2 years ago which included these parts. M3nh/hdmi motherboard, AMD phenom 9950 2.6ghz (black edition) CPU, A Nvidia Zotac 9500gt 1gb, 4gb Kingston Ram 800mhz, Antec 900 case, 250GB sata Hdd 7200rpm, and an Ezkool 700watt Psu. Also included Vista 64 home premium.

At the time I thought that this was a beast Computer with a pretty good setup, but i didn't know that much about Pc's back then and now i really regret buying it. Mainly because ever since ive had this pc ive have had Laggyness/Stuttering on most my games, i really dont know why... I installed all drivers made sure temperatures were cool and that i had the requirements 4 my games. so at first i asked my m8s what it could be, one of them reccomended i buy a new graphics card because mine was meant for video editing and wasnt that good, which i then found to be true, so then i bought a Nvidia GTX 260 which i understand is a high end graphics card that should run modern games fine.

But however when i got this i still had this laggyness, it improved performance on newer games but only on the higher settings compared to my previous grx card. but i still have this lag problem. since buying my pc i have had my motherboard changed, psu, cpu changed and my ram examined and tested using memtest64. i have tried multiple operating systems such as xp 32 and currently Windows 7 32bit. And im at a total loss, Im really upset at why my setup cant even run soulstorm. an old game even at 800x600resoloution lowest settings and reach the same choppyness as if i had everything maxed on 1980x1080res. The only thing that hasnt been replaced is my Ram but im told its fine and has no faults. I dont know if anyone on this site can help me out but if anyone can reccomend a really good Pc expert repair shop near Surrey area in england, it would be much appreciated. thanks.

Theres probbaly some things i missed out and if im not making sense just say away :pt1cable: 

These are the parts i currently have now... ASUS M4N72-E Motherboard, AMD phenom II 965 3.4ghz, ASUS GTX 260, Coolermaster 750watt GX, and the same kingston 4gb ddr2 Ram and hitachi Hardrive.
July 11, 2010 7:58:17 PM

I also have general problems with my computer locking up tempoarily and "not responding" errors in programs, mainly when they start up. :S
July 11, 2010 9:26:54 PM

The problem is the cpu and video card combined with vista being crappy. Let me check into it a second ...
Related resources
July 11, 2010 9:30:29 PM

xxsk8er101xx said:
The problem is the cpu and video card combined with vista being crappy. Let me check into it a second ...

okay, just to let u know im currently on windows 7 32bit and still have these issues :S
July 11, 2010 9:36:24 PM

Ok the motherboard has onboard video so make sure that's disabled. Usually when you put in a video card it is suppose to get disabled but this might be an oddball one where you have to disable it manually. Check device manager and see which adaptor the OS is seeing.

Make sure you are using the video connectors on the video card and not the HDMI conncetion on the motherboard.

Run a defrag using jkdefrag on your hard drive. At this point it sounds like either it's a bad hard drive or a possible power supply issue. I'm leaning towards more of a hard drive issue.

TooFassst said:
I also have general problems with my computer locking up tempoarily and "not responding" errors in programs, mainly when they start up. :S

July 11, 2010 9:39:30 PM

It's just a jab at Vista. I hate vista.

TooFassst said:
okay, just to let u know im currently on windows 7 32bit and still have these issues :S

July 11, 2010 9:44:36 PM

maybe it's your cpu bottlenecking, or maybe the game is poorly coded, what driver version are you using?
July 11, 2010 9:46:55 PM

ubernoobie said:
maybe it's your cpu bottlenecking, or maybe the game is poorly coded, what driver version are you using?

I dont think my cpu is bottlnecking anything, its a fast quad core, and the games fine for all my other m8s. and im using latest windows 7 32 bit nvidia drivers
July 11, 2010 9:50:29 PM

xxsk8er101xx said:
Ok the motherboard has onboard video so make sure that's disabled. Usually when you put in a video card it is suppose to get disabled but this might be an oddball one where you have to disable it manually. Check device manager and see which adaptor the OS is seeing.

Make sure you are using the video connectors on the video card and not the HDMI conncetion on the motherboard.

Run a defrag using jkdefrag on your hard drive. At this point it sounds like either it's a bad hard drive or a possible power supply issue. I'm leaning towards more of a hard drive issue.

Im sorry i 4got to mention my new motherboard hasn't got an onboard i forgotten the actual name of it too.. m4n something, anyway i just upgraded my psu this weekend, brand new 750watt coolermaster, and my grx card is running through dvi straight from it, soo right now im runnin that jkdefrag like u said.
July 11, 2010 10:04:51 PM

btw, your cpu isnt a fast quad core, it was slow in the beginning of it's age. Also, if the other games run fine, its the games fault so I wouldn't care. defragging doesnt do crap when it's a fps problem. If the game your trying to run is lagging, lower the settings
July 11, 2010 10:09:38 PM

ubernoobie said:
btw, your cpu isnt a fast quad core, it was slow in the beginning of it's age. Also, if the other games run fine, its the games fault so I wouldn't care. defragging doesnt do crap when it's a fps problem. If the game your trying to run is lagging, lower the settings

The whole point of my pc is so i can run things pretty fast, especially older games. my quad core is a low end one i know but my m8 had the stage down, the 2.4ghz 1 and he's fine, and recently i upgraded my cpu to a Amd phenom II 965 3.4ghz and i have same performance , other games dont fare much better apart from the odd few older games.
July 11, 2010 10:16:01 PM

Dont suppose u guys no of a repair shop ??? like proper Pc tester pro's :p  i have a repair shop nearby but they solve the simple stuff like reformatting laptops lol
July 11, 2010 10:21:12 PM

Just run a defrag. if it finishes then your hard drive is probably fine. I would start there. Bad hard drives cause laggy, stuttering, and slowness. So does a bad power supply though so you need to find out if your drive is bad.

TooFassst said:
Dont suppose u guys no of a repair shop ??? like proper Pc tester pro's :p  i have a repair shop nearby but they solve the simple stuff like reformatting laptops lol

July 11, 2010 10:31:36 PM

xxsk8er101xx said:
It's just a jab at Vista. I hate vista.

Yeah, XP rules.
July 11, 2010 10:32:31 PM

nish-ka-bibble said:
Yeah, XP rules.

You ganna still use it when they stop releasing updates ;P ?
July 11, 2010 10:59:29 PM

Meh Windows 7 is better than XP.

nish-ka-bibble said:
Yeah, XP rules.

July 11, 2010 11:11:53 PM

xxsk8er101xx said:
Meh Windows 7 is better than XP.

Guys your going off topic! HELP MEH :D 
July 11, 2010 11:12:53 PM

I said to go defrag. jkdefrag - go to filehippo - search jkdefrag - download and run.
July 11, 2010 11:14:07 PM

xxsk8er101xx said:
I said to go defrag. jkdefrag - go to filehippo - search jkdefrag - download and run.

I am runnin it, its just taking so so so long lol. Phase 3 Fixup 14.96%
July 11, 2010 11:15:59 PM

Ok. remember you only have a 250GB drive and it shouldn't take longer than an hour to defrag. If it doesn't finish there might be something wrong with the drive.

Do you have a seagate or maxtor drive?

TooFassst said:
I am runnin it, its just taking so so so long lol

July 11, 2010 11:20:47 PM

xxsk8er101xx said:
Ok. remember you only have a 250GB drive and it shouldn't take longer than an hour to defrag. If it doesn't finish there might be something wrong with the drive.

Do you have a seagate or maxtor drive?

Im not entirely sure... its a sata 250gb thats all i know sorrry
July 11, 2010 11:21:29 PM

go in device manager it will tell you.

TooFassst said:
Im not entirely sure... its a sata 250gb thats all i know sorrry

July 11, 2010 11:23:25 PM

xxsk8er101xx said:
go in device manager it will tell you.

Damn im not with it man... its hitachi i should know this by now
July 11, 2010 11:29:17 PM

If everything shows up fine with the hard drive next step would be to check the power supply and you can pick up a power supply tester for 15 bucks.

This is how you trouble shoot you isolate each component and test it until you find the bad one.

If nothing is bad then it's simply performance and nothing else.
July 11, 2010 11:33:27 PM

2144800,26,2228 said:
If everything shows up fine with the hard drive next step would be to check the power supply and you can pick up a power supply tester for 15 bucks.

This is how you trouble shoot you isolate each component and test it until you find the bad one.

If nothing is bad then it's simply performance and nothing else.[/quotems

Simply performance what do u mean ??? Performance is baad when it shouldnt be :( 
July 11, 2010 11:48:03 PM

That's why I think it's the hard drive or power supply.

Sometimes it's not so much as a bad power supply but just not enough power to supply your components. It might say 700 watt power supply but the actual rating might be 400 watt. Every company rates their power supply differently.

TooFassst said:
2144800,26,2228 said:

If nothing is bad then it's simply performance and nothing else.[/quotems

Simply performance what do u mean ??? Performance is baad when it shouldnt be :( 
said:

July 11, 2010 11:51:38 PM

Yeh i heard my Ezkool psu didnt suppy the wattage it said thats why i got Coolermaster, a more known brand and a guy at novatech reccomended it, btw appreciate your help dude
July 11, 2010 11:53:30 PM

Not a problem. I've been doing IT for 15 years. Seen a lot of weird stuff in my years as far as computer problems heh.
July 12, 2010 1:15:50 AM

xxsk8er101xx said:
Not a problem. I've been doing IT for 15 years. Seen a lot of weird stuff in my years as far as computer problems heh.

The test is still going and is currently on test 3: fast optimize 10.79%, shouldn't it be done by now ?
July 12, 2010 1:24:11 AM

Ya it really should be. You said you got a cooler master power supply?

July 12, 2010 1:24:47 AM

xxsk8er101xx said:
Ya it really should be. You said you got a cooler master power supply?

yup thats right
July 12, 2010 1:30:49 AM

ok is that installed then or just waiting for shipping? At this point I would wait until you got the power supply.
July 12, 2010 1:32:56 AM

xxsk8er101xx said:
ok is that installed then or just waiting for shipping? At this point I would wait until you got the power supply.

yeh its already installed... did it over the weekend, was really disappointed about it not changing anything. After all the bad things i heard about Ezkool i was almost certain it was the psu :( 
July 12, 2010 1:34:28 AM

Oh ok stop the defrag and start the hitachi diagnostic.

TooFassst said:
yeh its already installed... did it over the weekend, was really disappointed about it not changing anything. After all the bad things i heard about Ezkool i was almost certain it was the psu :( 

July 12, 2010 2:51:55 AM

Did the advanced Test and it finished and i got a code 0x00, did a bit of research on google and i think the harddrive is fine woulda of been a problem if i got 0x71 but i didn't so im safe
July 12, 2010 4:56:43 PM

what is your model of your psu? What is your fps you get in different games? Since I'm pretty sure the only game you really want to to play is that warhammer online thing
edit: How long did u run memtest for? you must get atleast 8 passes for it to be considered stable (for me)
July 12, 2010 6:52:55 PM

I have a Coolermaster GX 750Watt psu model.

The fps in my games aren't solid like with Warhammer soulstorm i get 9-60fps depending how busy it is and it doesn't matter whatever settings or FPS i get this wierd skipping constantly. More modern games like dawn of war 2 and team fortress 2 run better but both lag when things get busy like when theres lots of explosions and effects that start going off. Cod4 Modern warfare runs okay but like with most my games lags when things get busy. Another thing ive noticed about most my games is that objects load in late as i walk through the maps and this happens alot when i get closer to things. Edit: Dawn of war 2 fps goes as low as 9frames per second max settings, and usually 20fps most of the time.

Ill try another mem test but im pretty sure last time i ran it it had no errors but i cannot remember how many passes i did.
July 13, 2010 12:30:27 AM

Just ran Memtest86 over an hour and 30 mins with 3 passes and realised it would take far too long to do 8 and i dont fancy leaving my pc on all night doing this test while i sleep. Edit: Have done 8 passes no erros, what to do now ?
July 17, 2010 2:01:41 AM

have you got any other advice on what i can try and do ? please :D 
!