Logitech x-540 speakers TRUE 5.1 SURROUND???

carlos_will

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Hey,

Note that the x-540's doesn't have an optial input, but is there any way I can still utilize the true 5.1 digital surround (not pro logic II or pro logix IIx), or do you need an optical input on the speakers? This is what I am unsure of...

Pasted from a bit-tech review, here's what interested me:

"While the DTS options have been dropped, Dolby Home Theatre support is still included in full. All of these are software processed and because the Xonar D2X and DX share the virtually identical hardware, it should only take another Daniel K to engineer the DTS options to work on the DX.

* Dolby Digital Live – Encodes any audio into 5.1 channel AC3 and spits it out on the fly over S/PDIF.
* Dolby Digital Virtual Speaker – Converts stereo or 5.1 channel sound into a virtual 7.1 channel environment
* Dolby Pro Logic IIx – Upconverts stereo or 5.1 audio signals to 7.1 channels of discrete surround sound
* Dolby Headphone – “delivers realistic and spacious 2-to-5.1 surround or 3D positional sound-field over any set of stereo headphones."

Obviously, all of the above mean sit supports dolby digital processing, right?

Another thing I'd like to mention is that the manual for my logitech x-540 speakers states this:

"The x-540 speakers support dolby digital sound on your pc if your 6-channel or greater sound card or dvd software can decode a dolby digital soundtrack."

So with all this information, does this mean I can enjoy true 5.1 surround sound through my sound card and logitech x-540 speakers.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, I'm just new to all of this sound terminology.

Thanks,

Carl.

:)

carlos_will

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Thanks for the swift reply gamerk316, I appreciate it! But what do you mean use standard 5.1 uncompressed?

I just want to know if its possible to play 5.1 dolby digital sound through these speakers, WITHOUT using a Coax/Optical..

carlos_will

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
@ thefivetheory, I understand a bit more now, so the xonar outputs analogue audio...But my onboard sound on my mobo (intel bad axe 2) already has that, and i believe the sigmatel onboard sound chip can support pro logic IIx, as there are settings for it to be enabled through the IDT sound control panel.

@gamerk316, I see, but how would the overall quality be? Would I get seperate audio split into the speakers, just as 5.1 dolby digital does? Because the xonar dx has decoders in it already.

Also, the manual says "The x-540 speakers support dolby digital sound on your pc if your 6-channel or greater sound card or dvd software can decode a dolby digital soundtrack."

Is that of any relevance to dolby digital 5.1 surround sound or not? Or does it just mean it can support Dolby Pro Logic II?

Someone please clear up my confusion with these questions, its driving me insane haha.

Thanks a lot! ;)

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
It's just meaningless marketing speak to further confuse people. People hear the word "digital" and get a positive response. It's like releasing a product called "light beer" that's just beer.

carlos_will

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008

Haha, I agree with you, and its doing a good god damn job of confusing me too...

But I still want to know whether or not I can output REAL 5.1 surround through my x-540's, NOT pro logic II or anything, tbh I don't care about digital or not, as long as its proper 5.1, that is now what I want to find out.

Thanks for replies once again :)

These are how each Dolby tech works:
Dolby Surround: Older analog standard that would virtualize surround on a pair of speakers.
Dolby Digital: Audio format that compresses 5.1 audio and sends as a digital signal.
Dolby Pro Logic (and varients): Upmixes a stereo/5.1 audio signal to up to 7.1 audio signal.
Dolby Digital Live: Takes an audio signal and converts it to Dolby Digital format
Dolby Virtual Headphone/Speaker: Virtualizes a surround field onto a 2.1 speaker set.

If you use analog, theres no reason to concern yourself with these techs. In the case of your X-540's, just hook up via analog, and you have authentic 6 channel audio.

Also, the manual says "The x-540 speakers support dolby digital sound on your pc if your 6-channel or greater sound card or dvd software can decode a dolby digital soundtrack."
(emphasis mine)

Note the bolded section: Your speakers can not nativly decode a 5.1 dolby digital audio track, but can play it back IF the track is already decoded on the PC. For example, if watching a DVD through WMP, WMP would handle the audio decoding of the dolby track into standard uncompressed audio, which would then be sent via analog to your speakers as a "normal" analog audio signal.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
I was literally just about to explain that, gamerk316!

Since the receiver that your speakers run off of (should be built into the subwoofer, if memory serves me right) does not do the decoding, the DVD software does the work and sends what's called PCM/LPCM audio, which just tells the speakers which channel needs what data, and is a true 5.1 data stream.

You can test this by running a THX optimizer present on a ton of movies. It will usually have some sort of sound basically circle around you, and you should be able to clearly hear which speaker it is coming from.

carlos_will

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
@gamerk316, I see! So software like you mentioned such as WMP, or most players such as VLC or Media classic player will decode the 5.1 digital track.

So all the Doby technologies you mention in the post won't benefit me at all?

Because the one thing that attracted me towards the xonar DX was the fact it had all of these technologies, but if media players can already software decode then does that mean all of the dolby technologies offered with the DX are useless to me? And the only useful thing to me will be the higher quality sound in terms of mid tones and improve bass due to better quality components? (Max Sampling Rate: 24-bit/192kHz + SNR: 116dB front, 112dB side, centre and rear) whatever that means haha.

At the end of the day, I just want to know I haven't wasted my money buying the DX over my onboard sound...I hope. :ouch:

@jedimasterber, are there any benefits to uncompressed 5.1 audio over digital 5.1 compressed? Also, through anologue connections, this won't have any effect on the audio quality will it? ie noise or distortion, right?

You guys have been most helpful, thanks very much,

Carl.

thefivetheory

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
If you're wondering if the DX is "better" than your on board audio, then yes, I think most people would agree that it is, with respect to sound quality. Unless you have really low-end speakers.

What speakers are you using?

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Your X-540s are nothing more than an amplifier unit that receives line-level analog signals. Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, etc, it doesn't matter. These are sources that your computer provides. Either your software supports it or doesn't. None of this has anything to do with the X-540s.

carlos_will

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008

Good to know, well as a matter of fact, I've actually got the sound card in my computer right now! I have noticed even using fairly cheap x-540's, bass sounds more refined, and overall audio clarity is a lot clearer.

@astrallite, a nice swift 2 line sentence that makes perfect sense, thanks very much :bounce:

Anyway guys, I don't know whether or not to make a new thread, but I have been happy with my sound card, but there is a problem I have ran into...

I have installed the sound card now and all is well, apart from one thing that is a concern.

I installed the latest audio drivers from asus, and sound is all well, I can choose from 2, 4, 6 and 8 channels, the asus dx interface says:

2 is the best for mp3 tracks and wma, cd, music.

6 is the best for dolby digital or DTS

and finally...

8 is the best for games with 3d sound.

I can play stereo tracks fine and pro logic II works fine with music etc.

But when I actually want to select 6 channel audio, and play a dolby digital or DTS track, no audio comes from any of the speakers at all, and I am right in saying that you do need a 6 channel audio track selected to benefit from the dolby digital or DTS split sounds sent to individual speakers right?

Now interestingly, when I select the 2 channel track to play a dolby digital or DTS track, audio comes from all speakers, BUT its only a stereo track being fed to all speakers, as there are no seperate sounds coming from specified speakers, e.g foot steps in the distance or something.

This is a bit annoying, as I want to enjoy the proper surround sound from my speakers, and I don't want to enable pro logic II for DTS or dolby digital audio, it defeats the object of buying a decent sound card.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong or suggestions to solve this problem?

Thanks.

Pilk

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Hi Carlos i do not know much about your second question would it not be that the sub can not encode the 6 channel audio for it is built for a 5.1 channel audio output?

carlos_will

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
@Pilk, I know I realise that the mainboard will give true 5.1, well in this case my xonar DX!

And in reply to your 2nd post, a 6 channel means 5.1 does it not? Front left, front right, center, back left, back right and sub?

But when I actually want to select 6 channel audio, and play a dolby digital or DTS track, no audio comes from any of the speakers at all, and I am right in saying that you do need a 6 channel audio track selected to benefit from the dolby digital or DTS split sounds sent to individual speakers right?

Now interestingly, when I select the 2 channel track to play a dolby digital or DTS track, audio comes from all speakers, BUT its only a stereo track being fed to all speakers, as there are no seperate sounds coming from specified speakers, e.g foot steps in the distance or something.

Analog or digital? You're X-540's can't nativly decode a Dolby Digital/DTS track, so the explains the no audio problem with 6-channel audio...If you select 2 channel PCM, the signal is probably being decoded and sent as 2 channel PCM instead of a 5.1 Dolby Digital track...Again, your best bet is to use the analog connections, especially with a card like the DX, instead of having to deal with teh headaches of navigating around the encoding/decoing of Dolby Digital.

Yeah, one of the annoying things in Vista/7 is you have to manually select how many audio channels are in use to allow windows to properly set itself up. This effects how some effects (Dolby Pro Logic and Virtual Speaker especially) operate. (IE: There's no need to use Pro Logic processing on a 6 channel track if you are using a 5.1 setup).

I promise, sooner or later, I WILL get a basic PC audio guide up and running...

carlos_will

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Hey gamer,

Regarding windows 7, that is a bit annoying. And yeah pro logic sucks compared to real 5.1

Anyway, I am using the analog connections, and it is pretty easy, I found a solution! I've finally tampared around with everything, and I can now receieve 5.1 surround with dolby and DTS, I tried to install AC3 codec, and it did work in media classic player, but now I just use VLC, everything works fine with my DVDs.

I must say I am enjoying surround sound, its awsome, seomtimes when I hear things in games, I think its coming from outside my window haha. :na:

And about the guide, I look forward to seeing it, let me know when its up yeah?

I keep PROMISING to do it, but I never actually get the nerve to take on hour or two out of my life to actually write it :p

I'm probably writing it in two parts; the first focusing on the different interfaces (RCA, AC97, Optical/Coax (SPDIF), HDMI, and USB), and the second focusing on the current cards on the market from all the major brands (which is probably the smallest part of the guide).