Sign in with
Your question
Solved

OCZ Vertex 4 128G SSD hangs at spalsh screen

Last response: in Storage
September 11, 2012 12:21:30 PM

Just purchased a OCZ Vertex 4 and once I plug it in, my PC freezes at the HP splash screen. I purchased a Pavilion p6310y and have been swapping components until I will eventually have built my own PC (stupid move to get the prebuilt desktop). I tried flashing the BIOS, reverting to the original MS drivers for my SATA ports, unplugging all HDDs and leaving the SSD plugged in to install OS, leaving all HDDs plugged in and SSD to install new firmware, etc.
No matter what I do, if the SSD is plugged in my PC hangs up at the splash screen.
I cannot even proceed to BIOS, Boot options, setup, etc.
I’ve check and swapped cords and SATA ports so I think it’s safe to rule these out as the cause of the problem.
See system specs below.
Any ideas?

MOBO: mATX M2N78-LA (Violet6) (HP mobo that came with my unfortunate purchase of a “HP PAVILION P6310Y DESKTOP”)
CPU: Athlon II X4 630(2.8GHz)
PSU: corsair enthusiast series tx650
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD6870 1G DDR5 PCIE
RAM: 6GB DDR3 (some cheap HP provided memory)
HDD: 1TB HDD Western Digital 5200k (also came in the HP Desktop)
HDD2: 320G HDD Western Digital 5200k (from an old HP laptop, now used to back up primary HDD)
SSD: 128g OCZ vertex4
Case: Corsair Carbide 400R

Best solution

a b α HP
a c 124 G Storage
September 11, 2012 4:07:12 PM

1) only use the HDD w/ OS, after install the OCZ toolbox, connect the SSD (PC is still on, you don't need reboot).
2) Use the toolbox to do the secure erase the SSD follow the instructions, I know when you do this on other OCZ SSD you need to use the msahci driver( I think OCZ don't like the intel), run the program as administrator.
3) After this, update the firmwares ( 1st V1.5 then V1.5.2), if you already do that. Turn off the PC. Only connect the SSD and the DVD drive. Re boot the PC, install the win7.

If this is still no work for you, you maybe need RMA the SSD or some other member will help you.
September 11, 2012 5:11:59 PM

its not dangerous to plug in an SSd while my PC is still on?
m
l
Related resources
a b α HP
a c 124 G Storage
September 11, 2012 5:35:15 PM

no.
m
l
September 11, 2012 5:57:55 PM

Okay....Ill give this a try and check back tonight!
m
l
September 11, 2012 11:39:53 PM

Hey cin19, thanks for the pointers. Im a noob so I obviously did not know exactly what i was doing.

Now that it installed it is very fast. However, once I hook up my old 1T Western Digital it boots SUPER slow and I cannot access my old user files on that HDD.
Any ideas?
m
l
a b α HP
a c 124 G Storage
September 12, 2012 1:18:35 AM

Do yo set the 1st boot driver is DVD, 2nd is SSD in the BIOS?

The boot time is more than 1min ?

Is the old user files in the smae hDD (1tb)?

And do yo have other OS in the 1TB HDD too ?

More detail please.
m
l
September 12, 2012 12:10:07 PM

cin19 said:

More detail please.

Oh yes…sorry…

Yes, DVD drive 1st and SSD 2nd in BIOS
Boot time with SSD is between 20 and 30sec.
Boot time with SSD but HDD attached 2-3 minutes
Yes, old user files are on the same HDD. My computer gives me the option to have “permanent access” to the old user files but hangs when I try to open the user folder
Yes, I left the old OS on the HDD (1TB) just in case anything happened to the SSD I could still have an OS to run.
m
l
a b α HP
a c 124 G Storage
September 12, 2012 2:58:42 PM

It is strange that boot time is 2-3min. I have the back up PC that has SSD w/ the same copy of the OS in the HDD, but everything is fine in that PC.

Try to connect the HDD (1TB) into other SATA port, set the SSD in the 1st SATA port (check the manual). Look like the HDD is fine because you did boot up the PC only using the HDD.

Maybe someone has better idea.
m
l
September 13, 2012 11:26:45 PM

Still not working right =(
Got all the win7 updates....changed SATA ports, checked boot priority...
Not sure why it boots so slow if the HDD isn't running its OS...
Help anyone?
m
l
September 21, 2012 2:04:01 PM

Best answer selected by Loren_ha.
m
l
!