Sign in with
Your question

Wireless LAN Questions?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 13, 2010 6:59:09 AM

1. When you connect to an Access Point does your Wireless NIC get an IP address just like when you connect your normal NIC to a switch or router?
or is it required for a Wireless NIC to have details like IP address, subnet maske, default gateway, etc. in order to connect to a network?

2. On Ad Hoc mode, do you get IP addresses on each Wireless NIC on each computer?

3. On the Cisco Press Book it says that [Ad Hoc or IBSS] means or does 'Allows two computers to connect directly. No AP is needed'
So does Ad Hoc connect only two computers?

4. To implement a wireless LAN that doesn't connect you to the internet but uses an Access Point, do you need to be connected to a Router or Switch?
On all the diagrams I saw, the AP is connected to a Wired Network. I think it is to connect to the internet, but I'm not so sure.

More about : wireless lan questions

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 13, 2010 8:46:01 AM

If you look at the NIC's assigned IP address it's different to the Gateway address. If you connect two NICs to a wireless router they have different IP addresses. I suspect your question arises from the fact that the Wireless Utility supplied with most adapters displays quite a lot of information you don't actually need to know except for troubleshooting.

Your question about whether Ad Hoc allows more than two connections is an interesting one. Presumably the answer is that if you wanted to connect more than two you'd have to use something that could assign different IP addresses (as above) so the answer must be just a one-to-one connection by Ad Hoc.
m
l
April 30, 2013 1:00:18 AM

8210374,0,373537 said:
1. When you connect to an Access Point does your Wireless NIC get an IP address just like when you connect your normal NIC to a switch or router?
or is it required for a Wireless NIC to have details like IP address, subnet maske, default gateway, etc. in order to connect to a network?

Yes, in order to communicate on a wired or wireless network, your device needs an IP address. For a wired computer, when you connect the live cat-5 cable to the Ethernet port, it triggers a series of events within the device to request an IP address over that connection. In a wireless situation, the client device first must choose an Access Point, then associate to the Access Point.

Detailed answers to these questions, you can go here http://www.wlanpros.com/all-about-wireless-lan-the-answ...
m
l
!