Sign in with
Your question

Energy Efficiency CPU

Last response: in CPUs
September 8, 2010 7:23:01 PM

Hello, I'm new here but I'm building a computer that can be something I can use, for some gaming and media, but I trying to keep it energy efficiency as possible, I'm just having problems on selecting a decent CPU I want AMD but the problem is not sure what to go with since most builds were for elderly that just needed something light weight for email and this is going to be a build for gaming/email hope someone might be able to help me go in the right direction of finding a CPU

More about : energy efficiency cpu

a c 105 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
September 8, 2010 7:46:30 PM

all the athlon II are energy efficient
m
l
September 8, 2010 8:19:16 PM

So far the two that I have in mind is Phenom II 910e or Athlon II X4 635 I'm loving the reviews on both, was amazed when I saw the temps and watts on the Phenom II 910e was thinking that it would of been higher like the newer models so now I think it a toss up between the two
m
l
Related resources
September 8, 2010 9:39:44 PM

I'm going to be using it mostly for casual gaming and video and photo editing

I'll be using GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard, that has a ATI Radeon HD 4200 love the Eco friendless of the board, since it uses copper on the board
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2010 10:13:34 PM

If all you'll be using it for is light activities, you might as well save a bit and get a dual core Athlon II; they're 65 W just like the quads you referenced above, but I don't think you'll need the performance of the quads, especially when you'll be gaming on an IGP.

Edit: You can also find 45 W versions of the Athlon II X2
m
l
September 9, 2010 7:48:50 AM

How long are you planning on keeping this build?
What is your budget?
Does your video editing application do a lot better with multiple cores? If so, you might be better off with a lower frequency quad core instead of a high frequency dual core.
What games are you planning on playing at what resolution?
And lots of memory.
m
l
September 9, 2010 8:20:59 AM

i3, i5s from Intel have much lower idle power. Recent MSI motherboards seem to use less power too. Some Benq monitors are using 10W in operation.
m
l
September 9, 2010 8:47:41 AM

Your using it for casual gaming and video and photo editing - light games well yes it's ok but video and photo editing you can never say, you need a good card and memory too. But I did tried using a P5KPL AM EPU asus board with a 9500GT cheap card with 1Gb of ram it work but reduced of quality is observed.
m
l
September 9, 2010 9:37:44 AM

Nowadays Intel is the best option for performance per watt, AMD is the best for its performance per price. You can even build a 25 watt desktop on idle using Intel i5.
The best bet for performance per watt is i5 750/760. You can search it on google to find the fact.
m
l
September 9, 2010 6:41:08 PM

^+1

I agree.. Intel has the best performance per watt available right now, but you need to post your budget that you are allowing for this build.
m
l
!