Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Whoops...Firewire chipset blown

Last response: in Motherboards
April 15, 2011 4:32:06 AM

I just received a replacement for my ASRock P67 Extreme4 motherboard (I had one that I bought in January with the SATA issue). I also just bought an HAF 922 case. When I was installing the motherboard, I stupidly connected the USB cable for the front panel to the Firewire header. Should have been more careful :(  Anyway, as soon as I powered up, I saw smoke coming from that area of the mobo and immediately turned it back off (I always boot up for the first time with the case open). I saw what was wrong and unplugged the USB cable. The chip right next to the Firewire header is fried. I booted up and installed Windows and everything seems to be working fine. I also disabled firewire in BIOS. I've never used firewire and don't plan to, so if that's all that's damaged, I suppose can live with it. The cable for the USB front ports is still unplugged. I know I'm not the only one who has done this, and I've read that doing so can damage your motherboard. What I'm wondering is, do you actually have to connect a firewire or USB device for damage to occur? Is it possible (albeit less likely...) the damage was caused by a short in the front panel hardware/wiring? I'm scared to plug the USB cable into the proper header now.

Best solution

a c 1163 V Motherboard
April 15, 2011 11:59:50 AM

The USB is probably fine the short was probably voltage straight to ground because of the different pin assignment.
April 15, 2011 4:40:08 PM

Thanks for the reply. You're probably right. I took apart the top panel and there wasn't anything visibly wrong - no exposed/crossed wires.
m
l
April 16, 2011 3:32:45 AM

Should I be worried about the fault in the motherboard damaging other components if I continue using it?
m
l
a c 1163 V Motherboard
April 16, 2011 7:29:04 AM

I do not think it will but if it was me I would replace it.
m
l
April 16, 2011 8:18:22 AM

i would replace it, wouldent take the chance on frying other compents
m
l
April 16, 2011 6:04:06 PM

Best answer selected by jchoca.
m
l
April 16, 2011 6:04:48 PM

Yeah, I don't wanna risk it either. I'm just gonna eat the cost and replace it.
m
l
!