Solved

Whoops...Firewire chipset blown

I just received a replacement for my ASRock P67 Extreme4 motherboard (I had one that I bought in January with the SATA issue). I also just bought an HAF 922 case. When I was installing the motherboard, I stupidly connected the USB cable for the front panel to the Firewire header. Should have been more careful :( Anyway, as soon as I powered up, I saw smoke coming from that area of the mobo and immediately turned it back off (I always boot up for the first time with the case open). I saw what was wrong and unplugged the USB cable. The chip right next to the Firewire header is fried. I booted up and installed Windows and everything seems to be working fine. I also disabled firewire in BIOS. I've never used firewire and don't plan to, so if that's all that's damaged, I suppose can live with it. The cable for the USB front ports is still unplugged. I know I'm not the only one who has done this, and I've read that doing so can damage your motherboard. What I'm wondering is, do you actually have to connect a firewire or USB device for damage to occur? Is it possible (albeit less likely...) the damage was caused by a short in the front panel hardware/wiring? I'm scared to plug the USB cable into the proper header now.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about whoops firewire chipset blown
  1. Best answer
    The USB is probably fine the short was probably voltage straight to ground because of the different pin assignment.
  2. Thanks for the reply. You're probably right. I took apart the top panel and there wasn't anything visibly wrong - no exposed/crossed wires.
  3. Should I be worried about the fault in the motherboard damaging other components if I continue using it?
  4. I do not think it will but if it was me I would replace it.
  5. i would replace it, wouldent take the chance on frying other compents
  6. Best answer selected by jchoca.
  7. Yeah, I don't wanna risk it either. I'm just gonna eat the cost and replace it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Chipsets Firewire Motherboards