turbo herb

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
hello ,I have a hd 5750 video card with hdmi out,I am currently using it to play movies etc on the big screen tv.but what I have to do is always change the audio settings to ati hdmi output in the play back devices in windows 7. Is it possable to have both the on board sound and the hdmi output running at the same time.
so I don't have to keep switching back and forth. would an audio card solve this issue? :hello:

No and no. Windows only allows for one output device selected at a time.

However, if a program supports selecting a non-default sound device, you can use a different audio output for that specific program. [EG: I have my default audio device as my HDMI output from my 4890, but Winamp and Teamspeak are set to use my G35 by default, so I don't have to manually switch devices]

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Only method i know involves particular companies (creative for example) who allow you to do this in drivers/ software configuration - i don't think this is possible with your configuration, but there may be additional software you can download (in addition to the drivers alone) which could enable this functionality.

turbo herb

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009

thanks for the quick reply, if you can't run two sources at the same time ,there is also two dvi outputs on this card, is there an adaptor from dvi to sterio for the comp speakers????? :bounce:

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005

You have computer speakers that can take in 8 channel linear pcm? What speakers are those?

ATI uses a unique pin scheme that carries audio over the DVI portion, where their DVI->HDMI adaptor can convert teh signal into an Audio/Video HDMI output.

To the OP: If a specific program supports it, you can override the default audio device, and can get two audio streams to go at once. As far as I know, there is no other way to get dual audio streams outputted on two seperate devices.