Sign in with
Your question

No video

Last response: in Systems
July 12, 2010 12:37:35 AM

ok where do i start? at the beginning, i wanted to build my own computer using some of the older parts that i had and bought some new ones as well. well i started with a pent.4 which is what i'm on now. however i put the damn thing together the best i knew how. but it came on, all fans worked fine, but know video. did some research on goggle to finally fig out the mb had a swoll up capacitor. needless to say the mb was bad. ok so i decided to try my luck one more time WITH ANOTHER PENT.4 mb, checked all the caps and they looked fine. this board is a super p4sda. the cpu is brand new i bought, also i bought a foxconn heatsink and fan as well. i also bought 2 new 1gb,ddr,400,cle,ecc,reg memory sticks. ok the case i got from thrift shop, it had a 350 watt psu in it. also had 120gb hdd,front fan,floppy drive,2usbs and something else that looks like vertical usb,alsodvd rom and a TDK 24/10/40b rom of somekind with blue glass cover.i put in a older video card in the pci. it has like 26 pins in a row but i had nothing to hook to it so i fig. it was not nessasary, i also put in 1 stick of 256mb of memory, ddr dimm N what ever that is, i just know that it is ddr. mb has 3 slots though. i put the memory cloest to the cpu. also hooked up 4pin 12v. that is pretty much all with the exception of few other wires. plugged it up, fans started running again, but no video again. what the hell am i doing wrong? thanks for any help and guideness i can get. rodsupply

More about : video

a b B Homebuilt system
July 12, 2010 3:25:59 AM

[i put in a older video card in the pci. it has like 26 pins in a row but i had nothing to hook to it so i fig. it was not nessasary]

I don't understand this. How did you connect the monitor?

Generally, the monitor is connected to the output of the video card (the card you plugged into the PCI slot). If this motherboard has integrated video, then unplug the video card that you plugged into the PCI slot, connect the monitor to the motherboard connector and then try the system.
m
l
July 12, 2010 10:26:00 AM

Ubrales said:
[i put in a older video card in the pci. it has like 26 pins in a row but i had nothing to hook to it so i fig. it was not nessasary]

I don't understand this. How did you connect the monitor?

Generally, the monitor is connected to the output of the video card (the card you plugged into the PCI slot). If this motherboard has integrated video, then unplug the video card that you plugged into the PCI slot, connect the monitor to the motherboard connector and then try the system.

thanks ubrales, sorry i may have wrote that wrong, i hooked the monitor cable to the blue hook up on the vga card. i was just saying that that card had all those pins on the card and i did'nt know if there was something that i was suppose to hook to that. but if i understand your saying that i may not need a vga card if the one on the mb works. ok but that means i need an adapter to transition it from the pins sticking out to a end that my blue cable end will go on. is this what you are saying? as a matter a fact there is no where to hook up a reg video cable on the mb. it has only the usbs, sound part, it has two hook ups with male pins sticking out, i guess you call that the i/o , then it has a pink female adapter with like 25 holes (female) on it, and a yellow adapter with holes in it. i see they are called com1 and 2, also mouse and keyboard hook ups. thats it. that is why i put a vga card in it. thanks for any help you or anybody else can give me.
m
l
Related resources
July 19, 2010 9:49:25 AM

sorry i have not got back sooner ubrales but i know exactlly what you are talking about now, my bad. but no there are no vga ports on this mb. so i had to put one in it. you talk about checking in safe mode, but the monitor does not display anything at all. monitor is good, i 've used it many times. so i can not get in any kind of mode. do you understand what i'm trying to say when i say there are pins on the vga card itself. not the ones you stick in the pci either. i need to know weather or not there is suppose to be a cable hooked to the vga card or not and if so where does the cable come from? thanks so much. ps not real sure this is the right vga card,but i think so. thanks again so much. rodsupply
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 19, 2010 10:10:01 AM

Can you match-up the VGA cable you need from this site? - http://www.cablestogo.com/categories.asp?cat_id=3400&cm...|-|100000000000000166582&cm_guid=1-_-100000000000000166582-_-2802017721&gclid=CO7kn_Sq96ICFRMeDQodUE5qhA

Here is another source - http://www.cablewholesale.com/cgi-bin/googletrack.cgi?u...

And another - http://www.cablesunlimited.com/

You should find the cable you need from one of these sites. Another option is to try your local computer store. MicroCenter (has free walk-in tech support), TigerDirect (CompUSA), Fry's, or online at Newegg.
m
l
!