AM3 socket damaged?

Well this has me worried. I am working on a new build. MSI 870A-G55 with a Phenom II x4 965. My Zalman 9500 wasn't keeping it cool enough so I just went out today and got a 9900. It aims the right way and pushes more air. So I took the 9500 out tonight and put the 9900 in. Then I realized the new cooler was too tall to allow me to slide the mobo tray into the case so I had to take it off again and redo the goo. I'm not used to AMD chips. Haven't used one in a very long time. When I pulled the cooler off the chip, the suction from the paste was so strong it actually pulled the chip right out of the socket. It didn't even occur to me to release the chip and then pull the chip off the cooler after the whole thing was removed from the board. I was horrified and feel very stupid for not thinking of this up front :ouch: . All i could think of was that I probably ruined either the chip pins or the socket or both. I looked over the pins on the chip and they were all straight and looked okay. No way to look at the socket clearly without a microscope setup so I just cleaned things up and put it all back together. This time when I clamped the lever down on the socket it didn't go down as tight as it did before. I didn't have to press down as hard. I'm sure I caused some damage to my new board but I'm wondering if I trashed it. I build systems about once every 2 or 3 years. It's not my thing. I write software. I have to upgrade my equipment now and then and although I mostly know what I'm doing and get some satisfaction from it, I find it more frustrating than anything. I've got it back up and running and the default test for Prime 95 is running at about 49C now after about 20 minutes. With the other cooler (which points the wrong way) it would have been pushing 60 by now. This is much better. But I'm still concerned about the socket. Is there anything to worry about? It's running and I'm going to leave it running all night. But I'm concerned that if there is any damage to the socket then I might not experience problems right away or even worse, there could be problems that I wouldn't know about until I end up with permanently bad data down the road. Any thoughts on this? Any way to really check it out or test it to the point where I can sleep peacefully?

Thanks.

I should ask what the inside of this socket looks like. I can't find a picture. I'm imagining a bunch of tiny spring loaded levers whose edges press against the sides of the pins when you push the lever down the main lever of the socket but I have a feeling I'm wrong. Do the pins touch something below each pin sort of the reverse of the way an Intel socket works? If it's what I was first imagining, then pulling the chip out with the socket would cause the little side grabbers to drag along the sides of the pins but if it's plastic that grips the pins and the bottoms of the pins are the contact points then unless there was actual pin damage then I'm thinking I'm okay here. Anyone have a picture of an AM3 socket taken apart?
3 answers Last reply
More about socket damaged
  1. Running prime and getting temps under 50°C is great! Just over 60°C isn't half bad either.
    If it is prime stable and everything works then I would not worry!
  2. You did it right as far as not releasing the cpu lever when you pulled the heatsink off.

You don't want the cpu to come out with it beause then you'll bend the pins trying to get it off the heatsink.

Next time get the computer hot, then take it apart and the thermal stuff will still be in a kind of liquified state, then you just twist the heatsink slightly and it will come off the cpu.
  3. This is a brand new build. The thermal compound never had time to dry or harden at all. It was literally minutes between the time I put it together and then took it apart. It was already very soft. For old builds, I've done what you suggest. Never had a problem gently twisting the heat-sink off of the CPU. I put the TC on pretty darn thin but I'm wondering if it's still too thick. I didn't expect all that suction. Twisting did nothing and I didn't want to slide it off cuz it makes a mess of things when you do that.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Socket