Sign in with
Your question
Solved

MSI P67A GD65 BIOS shows High Idle temp.

Last response: in Motherboards
April 15, 2011 5:09:29 AM

Hello,
My new build is stable and fast. What troubles me is the discrepancy between the BIOS reported CPU temperature and the CPU core temps shown by "MSI Control Panel", "Core Temp" and the "CPUID HW Monitor" All three software programs show Idle core temps of 32 to 34 deg. The BIOS shows CPU Temp of 65 to 69 deg at idle. A 35 deg discrepancy.
I called MSI and they quickly e-mailed me a new BIOS. No difference.
Has anyone else run into this problem? Any idea as to what may be causing this discrepancy ?

Components:
i7 2600K Processor
MSI P67A-GD65(B3) mobo
8 GB Corsair Vengeance Memory
Sapphire 6800 video card
Corsair 750 TX PSUP
Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive

eon 6800 1GB Video

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a c 107 V Motherboard
April 15, 2011 5:56:10 AM

*sigh*

A new one of these every few days...

Oh well. I will explain once again.

The CPU cannot enter low-power idle mode while in the BIOS. That mode can only be engaged when the system is fully booted into Windows.

The temps will gradually increase the longer you stay in the BIOS, but will level off before getting to the danger zone if the CPU is at stock speed. This is especially true with the stock cooler, but even with a good after-market cooler the temps will rise a bit. 50-70ºC temps in the BIOS are common with stock cooling at stock speeds.

If the CPU is overclocked and you are using the stock cooler, it may not level off. In this case the system will likely reboot or simply power off to protect itself from heat damage

Do not overclock while using the stock cooler. Even a very minor over-voltage will result in too-high temps.

By the way, this happens on all boards. I have noted higher BIOS temps in my last four systems (including one Sandy Bridge, one Athlon II X4, one original Phenom X4, and one original Phenom X3). It may go back farther than that, but I don't recall any more.
April 15, 2011 2:04:22 PM

Best answer selected by hank119.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 15, 2011 2:04:31 PM

Thanks for the clear explanation. I spoke to an MSI tech about this. He, obviously, had no idea of the cause of the discrepancy inasmuch as his solution was simply to flash the BIOS with their latest revision.
m
l
December 24, 2011 3:24:55 PM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
*sigh*

A new one of these every few days...

Oh well. I will explain once again.

The CPU cannot enter low-power idle mode while in the BIOS. That mode can only be engaged when the system is fully booted into Windows.

The temps will gradually increase the longer you stay in the BIOS, but will level off before getting to the danger zone if the CPU is at stock speed. This is especially true with the stock cooler, but even with a good after-market cooler the temps will rise a bit. 50-70ºC temps in the BIOS are common with stock cooling at stock speeds.

If the CPU is overclocked and you are using the stock cooler, it may not level off. In this case the system will likely reboot or simply power off to protect itself from heat damage

Do not overclock while using the stock cooler. Even a very minor over-voltage will result in too-high temps.

By the way, this happens on all boards. I have noted higher BIOS temps in my last four systems (including one Sandy Bridge, one Athlon II X4, one original Phenom X4, and one original Phenom X3). It may go back farther than that, but I don't recall any more.

okay well i have a greater temp. when i start up my computer after having it off for a day the temp is at 97c right off the bat. i went to a store an got them to test my cpu an its perfectly fine an they even put thermal grease on for me. an for some reason when im doing anything my cpu seems to be using more than it need. i have a 2500k i5 3.3ghz an i run explorer an its at 50% usage but shows no cpu usage in the task manager proesses
m
l
!