Last check before i buy

apostle07

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
INTEL i7 930 quad core (looking to OC to a stable 24/7 3.8ghz)

Cooler Master HAF 922 mid tower

CORSAIR tx 750w PSU

G. Skill PI series 6gb (3x2gb)

ASUS P6X58D-E MOBO

ASUS EAH5850 DIRECT-CU 1GB GDDR5 GPU (OCing to at least 950mhz)

WD 500GB 7200RPM CAVIAR BLACK (DATA STORAGE)

KINGSTON SSDNOW V-SERIES 64GB (OS DRIVE)

WINDOWS 7 HOME EDITION FOR SYSTEM BUILDERS

SONY OPTIARC 24X DVD/CD

HYPER 212+/PROLIMATECH MEGAHALEMS/ OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS

For a stable 3.8ghz i7-930 what temps would be good for idle/load i know the i7's run hot but will the hyper 212+ be good enough for 24/7 use or should i just get the megahalems? Open to any suggestions as well.

Swap the caviar black for a samsung F3, its faster and often cheaper, other than that it looks pretty good. Right now the Hyper 212+ is super expensive at newegg, but the Megahalems is just a better cooler in general, since you are looking for a pretty good OC go for the megahalems, and get a couple good fans for it.

tecmo34

Administrator
^+1... Agree!!

You don't list where you are buying from but if from Newegg, don't forget to look for combo deals for additional savings. Also if you live near a MicroCenter, I would pick up the i7-930 from there to save you an additional $80 or so.

apostle07

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
I am waiting for good deals because newegg for the hyper 212 is rediculous right now. I am planning this build to buy it within the next 2 months so i have time to wait for a good deal. My questions is, will the hyper 212 be a sufficient cooler for my build? (lets hope newegg 212 prices go down)

Found a nice combo for you with the potential to save quite a bit, if you swap the HAF 922 for the Antec 902 you can combo with your motherboard for $50 off with a $20 MIR, now thats a combo! It will probably last until the end of the month unless one of them runs out of stock
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.434914

@tecmo, glad we have gotten back into the trend of barely beating each other to the post again :D

apostle07

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
sorry one other thing, with the megahalems will any modification need to be done to the side fan of the case?
I ran across someone that said you needed to modify the side fan of the case in order for the megahalems to fit